Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Recovery console "access is denied" error

I am trying to use the Recovery Console & replace the system file to boot a PC - "the following file is missing or corrupt \Windos\system32\config\system"
    I type in md tmp to start the process of copying files & recieve the error "acess is denied"
    It is an E machine; I have tried using the original CD, the 6 boot disk from MS, as well as a gateway sytem CD.
    any ideas? or should I give this up & try something

Reinstall windows over the top, it replaces all the files and you still have all your stuff still there.

i was going to do that; but the installer thinks it is unformatted space & would only give the option to reformat.

you tried writing "fixmbr" and "fixboot" without the quotes?

tried both, to no avail......all I want for christmas is the data of that drive....

I'm all out, good luck though, cos im sure you'll get it working.

Re: Recovery console "access is denied" error

Originally posted by DMSimple on 04-15-2004 at 06:03 PM
    I am trying to use the Recovery Console & replace the system file to boot a PC - "the following file is missing or corrupt \Windos\system32\config\system"
    I type in md tmp to start the process of copying files & recieve the error "acess is denied"
    It is an E machine; I have tried using the original CD, the 6 boot disk from MS, as well as a gateway sytem CD.
    The file you are referring to, \Windows\system32\config\system is one of the five registry files that Windows deems indispensable. If it is missing or corrupt (usually corrupt) you do not have the option for an over-install. There is a knowledge base article on how to recover from this, but it assumes that you only have the one machine to work with. If you have access to another machine running XP or 2k, you can greatly reduce the amount of work necessary to fix this problem. If you are interested, let me know and I'll work up the instructions when I get to work later this morning. I have used this method to recover XP installations for about 15 customers. Since Windows 2000 does not have a system restore function builtin, it does not work for that OS.

I would love some more ideas! both machines (this one & the hard drive I am trying to recover the data from) are running XP. The drive that is corrupt has a login name; but i have the name & password - if that helps. I am only concerned about the data, but the drive was not partitioned...

Well, was it not partitioned or is \windows\system32\config\system missing or corrupt?

Originally posted by DMSimple on 04-15-2004 at 06:03 PM
    If it is a corrupted registry hive, this should fix you up:

1. Connect hard drive with bad registry file as a slave on working XP or 2k machine.
    2. Make sure that folder options are set to show all files, file extensions and not hide protected OS files.
    3. Navigate to \windows\system32\config folder on sick hd and move Default, Software, Security, System and Sam registry files to a temporary folder.
    4. Navigate to System Volume Information folder on sick hd and take ownership of folder.
    5. Navigate into System Volume Information folder and you will find a folder that starts out _restore and has a lot of hex digits after it.
    6. Navigate into this folder and you will see some folder that are named rpXX where XX is a number.
    7. Change the view to details view. Pick an rpXX folder near the end datewise. I don't pick the latest one just in case XP managed to back up a bad set of registry hives. I usually pick the 3rd one from the latest.
    8. Navigate into this directory and then into the directory named Snapshot.
    9. You will find roughly 20 files (and a directory) in this folder. You want the 5 that are named _registry_machine_.default, _registry_machine_sam, _registry_machine_software, _registry_machine_security and _registry_machine_system (these files are all in caps in this directory).
    10. Pick these files and copy them to the \windows\system32\config folder.
    11. You should now be back in the \windows\system32\config folder. Rename these files to Default, Sam, Software, Security and System, respectively.
    12. Shutdown, put drive back in original machine. If that was all that was wrong, you should be able to boot now. If it was not all that was wrong, you should be able to run a repair install now.

quote:
    Well, was it not partitioned or is \windows\system32\config\system missing or corrupt?

both- corrupt & not partitioned.
    I will be trying your solutuion this weekend when I return, & will definately let you know if it works.
    THank you for your help & I hope the next time I type it will be good news.

reinstall windows on itself, repair installation

Originally posted by DMSimple on 04-17-2004 at 03:37 AM
    quote:

both- corrupt & not partitioned.
    I will be trying your solutuion this weekend when I return, & will definately let you know if it works.
    THank you for your help & I hope the next time I type it will be good news.
    Good luck. Of course, the solution detailed above is predicated upon the fact that the drive is accessible. If partition table is damaged, you will have to use something like Partition Magic, etc., in order to make it accesible without destroying the data that exists on it....

Originally posted by 3dfxrain on 04-17-2004 at 06:09 AM
    reinstall windows on itself, repair installation
    If one (or more) of your registry hives is corrupt or missing, XP (or 2k) will not give you the option of a repair installation.