Angry AMD 2800 'Barton' Noise Problems

A few months ago my AMD 2800 starting making a slight noise when I would load a program or anything similar. Eventually it got louder and makes a "whirring" or "chirping" noise now if I do something as simple as scroll up and down a website. I have tested my other hardware thoroughly including my fans and I cannot tell that it would be anything but the processor. At times it can drive me crazy because it will never stop if I'm running a high performance game and other similar resource-heavy activities. If anyone has experienced this or knows a way that I can 'fix' it, I'd greatly appreciate any help. Thanks for your time.

Re: AMD 2800 'Barton' Noise Problems

most deffinately your harddrive, and it's getting worse with age..i woudl eplace it before it dies and brings all your data with it... for quiet harddrives get a seagate or samsung...and maxtors are quiet but fail often... your cpu CANNOT make a noise, sorry and btw:

welcome to amdforums.com/pcperspective! hope you stick around

^^^^

yup it is the hard drive. i had the same problem and i didnt know what it was then i found out

there are many ways to quiet down a harddrive... if you want some help quieting it down, lemme know..i just silentized mine

Your HDD is probably on its way out. Back up your data.

Well i tested out both of my HDD's, pulled the power from them and booted up. I still got the noise even outside of Windows. The noise definitely comes more when I am doing a specific task on my computer like if I draw a line in Photoshop, the entire time I hold the mouse button down..the noise just drags on. When I let go of the mouse button the noise almost immediately stops. This problem is still baffling me and I can't afford to take my computer apart piece by piece right now, so if you guys can think of anything else I'd be thankful.

do you have a pvc pipe or similiar? hold that to one end of your eand and point it at the cpu and see if it still makes the noise...the pipe should just take DRIECT noise so you should just get noise where you point the tube...try pulling the power, and pulling the cord and boot...you wont be able to do anything tho... try taking out the hdd's and holding them in your hand and you mgiht be able to "feel" the noise

Are you hearing the noise through the speakers or is it literally from inside the case?

The noise is literally from inside the case, has nothing to do with the speakers. And I have been able to pinpoint the noise in close proximity to my CPU on the mobo.

How old is the motherboard? Any chance your capacitors are dried out?
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?

The capacitors are a good guess..... Do you have active cooling on the NB????? For some reason NB fans always seem to go out on me, and right before they do they whine like non other....

A friend had a real high-pitched squeel sound when doing anything system intensive that he isolated to a stick of ram. He swapped it out and he never heard it again.

Something else to check... ^^^

EDIT: typo

Might be the toroid coils (copper doughnuts near the CPU MOSFETs) singing. That's common from coils and transformers.

Could also be fans or coils in the PSU.

Have you checked your system for viruses lately?

It might be a virus that is making the noise (thru the PC case speaker if present) when you move the mouse.