Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Master Suggestion List - Status Update for Week Ending 4/24/04

Technical issues prohibit removal of the Quick Reply button? That's news to me...

Last I heard, they didn't want to do it because it would prohibit use of Threaded view, which the forum overwhelmingly does not care about anyway...
    PORTABLE: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 2.4GHz | 4GB PC6400 DDR2 | 160GB 7200rpm HDD | ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 | 8x DVD±RW/Blu-Ray | 15.6" UltraSharp TrueLife display

Quote Originally Posted by {Tigress}

Researching - will be done once we're confident it won't mess something else up

Remove (# Viewing) from Forum Page

Why would you do that? I really like the # Viewing. It's just my preference, but I dont see how it would bring up so many complaints...

"same here, it'll be a sad day should amdmb ever totally dissapear, i don't care too much for these "pc's" or their "perspectives" i just like my amdmb's." - SuBX3r0

Quote Originally Posted by JungleMan
    Technical issues prohibit removal of the Quick Reply button? That's news to me...

Last I heard, they didn't want to do it because it would prohibit use of Threaded view, which the forum overwhelmingly does not care about anyway...
    Justin,

How would the forum members know if they cared about threaded and/or hybrid views or not since Jelsoft is still having issues with them and shoving forum content off the page, thereby making forums that actually use them few and far between?

The forum members haven't been given the opportunity to even test out the hybrid and/or threaded views yet, and if we remove the quick reply button, they never will. We hardly think that's fair to them.

So, we're researching fixes for the threaded/hybrid view, and once those are found we'll then offer up those views to the forum. And after all of that, if it's still determined that members want the quick reply "the way it was" more than they want different options for viewing threads, we'll give them what they want.

All of that ^^^^ was the long version for "Cannot Implement at this time - technical reasons prohibit us from being able to accommodate now, but may be re-visited in the future". Sound familiar? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by {Tigress}
    Justin,

How would the forum members know if they cared about threaded and/or hybrid views or not since Jelsoft is still having issues with them and shoving forum content off the page, thereby making forums that actually use them few and far between?

The forum members haven't been given the opportunity to even test out the hybrid and/or threaded views yet, and if we remove the quick reply button, they never will. We hardly think that's fair to them.

So, we're researching fixes for the threaded/hybrid view, and once those are found we'll then offer up those views to the forum. And after all of that, if it's still determined that members want the quick reply "the way it was" more than they want different options for viewing threads, we'll give them what they want.

All of that ^^^^ was the long version for "Cannot Implement at this time - technical reasons prohibit us from being able to accommodate now, but may be re-visited in the future". Sound familiar? LOL
    OK, even if the forum members WERE interested in hybrid viewing (and FYI, I have not heard one person who says they would be), the "Post Reply" button would still make hybrid/threaded viewing useless, as other members who choose to view in linear mode (on most forums, this is the vast majority) will probably just use the standard "Post Reply" button regardless of which post they are replying to.

Even if you went so far as to take out the Post Reply button (which would undoubtedly cause more mass havoc), like they did at Anandtech with that idiotic FuseTalk software, other members, myself included, would probably just use the bottom-most Reply button to reply to posts.

Bottom line is that threaded/hybrid viewing can't be done when there's a linear mode available. I think it was incredibly stupid of Jelsoft to implement it in the first place...
    PORTABLE: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 2.4GHz | 4GB PC6400 DDR2 | 160GB 7200rpm HDD | ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 | 8x DVD±RW/Blu-Ray | 15.6" UltraSharp TrueLife display

i've been hearing alot about this "hybrid mode" thing...can some one plz lmk what it is all about?

Andy, you can see it on FLHW. Go to Display Modes and select from there.

I have no clue why its not enabled on AMDMB...

ahha thanks!..wow, dont do this here please!!! its fugly

I have no clue why its not enabled on AMDMB...
    Because it doesn't work properly, yet. Again, why have member make an uniformed decision based on looking at a broken product?

What's it going to matter anyway? 99.5% of the posts on this forum were made back when there was no vB 3 , and wouldn't be properly indexed anyway.

Why can't you just give us our truly Quick Reply now, and then when the Threaded/Hybrid does work properly we'll take a vote from there? That's fair for everyone, I think...

What's it going to matter anyway? 99.5% of the posts on this forum were made back when there was no vB 3 , and wouldn't be properly indexed anyway.

Why can't you just give us our truly Quick Reply now, and then when the Threaded/Hybrid does work properly we'll take a vote from there? That's fair for everyone, I think...
    From what I've been told, once the quick reply button is removed, it will permantly screw up the indexing for the hybrid/threaded views, making them completely unuseable, even if they were fixed. That is not fair to our members and is not acceptable to us.

I think I've made this point very clear, now for the third time. I suggest if you have any more complaints about the issue you address them directly to Ryan in private. Thank you.

JM, this bickering isn't getting us anywhere. We are aware of your opinions, and it has been noted.

I've never heard so much complaining about clicking an icon. I just did it right here before replying...didn't kill anyone that I am aware of...
    Ryan Shrout
    Owner, PC Perspective
    rshrout -at- pcper -dot- com
    --= Follow me on Twitter =--