Question *Resolved* Sun Java 1.4.2 with Net Beans install question

Alright, I got my new linux machine up and running fedora core 1 a few days ago. Now I'm trying to get it all set up the way I want it, so I'm just starting out. I went to the sun java website and downloaded the sdk with their IDE for linux and now I don't know what to do with it. It's a bin file. When I try to open it, I get a "There is no action associated with "j2sdk-1_4_2_04-nb-3_6-bin-linux.bin"." dialog box. I don't know what program in Fedora is supposed to be associated with bin files so if someone could tell what program to use I'd be grateful. BTW, I'm running GNOME if that makes any difference.
    Last edited by DualMonitor1551; 04-26-2004 at 04:01 PM.

Re: Sun Java 1.4.2 with Net Beans install question

In a terminal window, cd to the dir where you downloaded the .bin file. Then do:

./j2sdk-1_4_2_04-nb-3_6-bin-linux.bin

to extract the rpm file.

Install the rpm as root:

rpm -Uvh j2sdk-1_4_2_04-nb-3_6-bin-linux.rpm

then you need to create a symbolic link for your browser (assuming mozilla 1.4.1 below - change as necessary) so run the following command at the prompt

Code:
    ln -s /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_04/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla-1.4.1/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so
    This is for the j2re library without netbeans, but the procedure should be similar

restart your browser and all should be fine

Ned
    Last edited by Ned Slider; 04-26-2004 at 06:17 AM.

That did the trick. Thanks Ned.

The bin file you downloaded is just the straight binary as I believe that's all their is with the combo file from sun. I guess with that It should just install everything and then it probably won't work after that. (i don't know, maybe it will, but either way your going to have to setup some enviroment stuff to really start working with netbeans anyways)

Normally what I do is get the j2sdk rpm file ./j2sdk*.rpm.bin to extract it then rpm -ivh j2sdk*.rpm to install it.

The critical part here is next, I will usually setup most of my enviroment in /etc/profile... That would be something like this added to the end of it. (or integrated into the distro's actuall enviroment coding the way I do it so It looks pretty)

anyways, here is the basics of what you can add
    #------------------------------------------------------------------------
    JAVA_HOME="/usr/java/j2sdk-etc-etc/"
    CLASSPATH="/whatever/classes/you/want/java/to/know/about:/more/classes:/and/more/classes.jar"
    export JAVA_HOME CLASSPATH
    export PATH=$PATH:/usr/java/j2sdk-etc-etc/bin
    #------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then if I have user specific classes (such as WEB-INF for tomcat servlets in a userspace) I will edit /home/user/.bashrc for additional things to make compiling classes easier such as
    export CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH:/path/to/WEB-INF/classes

Anywho, once I have my java enviroment setup. I then just download the netbeans IDE from netbeans.org and ./netbeans-etc-etc.bin it to install it.

And then as Ned Slider said, you can use the plugin for browser jre support. Thou lemme make some minor changes to what he posted

ln -s /usr/java/j2sdk1.4.2_04/jre/plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32/libjavaplugin_oji.so /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

The first is around what the correct path will look like under the sdk, and the second is mozilla/netscape/gecko based browsers or konqueror sort of universal plugin folder that they will read for plugins, it also makes it easer if you ever upgrade mozilla to not have to re link or re install plugins.
    http://dustsmoke.com/images/dustsmoke_logo.gif