Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Custom AMD Waterblock i made!

SiNC - I Am going to work some more on it now. IF you would like to contact me on AIM to help with this please do so. Also The area which is very center top of CPU die is 4mm think, so i guess im off by 1 mm. As terms of concave.. Wouldnt you mean convex? IF it was concave, wouldnt it be just bending in towards the middle, when i would want it going out?

Once i start mass producing these: Probably like 5 I will send you one free of charge.

Also, i that top is supposed to be acrylic, or lucite whichever i can afford.

I dont know any place right now that will let me use their CNC machine. Anyone in the SAN DIEGO area know any place like this, help me out and ill see that you get a waterblock too.

UPDATE - I Have emailed a CNC machining company and have attached my designs to the email. I asked for a sales quote. Ill see what happends.

That's beginning to look like a cross between the silverprop and RBX designs. Have you had a look at the D-Den RBX? One thing that might be effective is trying to cross the design ideas behind the RBX and the Cascade.

The inlet on the Cascade is a honeycomb of holes. They act as little jet nozzles, and there are little cups that are slightly bigger than the nozzles drilled into the plate under the nozzles.

I figure if you use that as your inlet right over the CPU die, then use the "wavy" fins of the RBX going to the two outlets, you should have a pretty good block. Best of both worlds, and all that =)

If you want more specifics, I can try to run up some drawings of what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by stiLLmatiC
    Note: Mounting: I am thinking of a way to mount it instead of those 4 mounting holes on motherboards, since i was looking at my ecs one thats in for my EPOX at the moment.. Doesnt have those. I was thinking about a retaining clip.. or something .
    Have a look at the hold-down mechanism used by Swiftech (here's a view of the 5000) - but if you look at just about any Swiftech block (air or water) that's not designed to use "the four holes", you'll see this.
    There's a hold-down on either end, shaped to fit the three lugs, with a right angle bend at the top. There's a spring between the block and this bend, and a screw running through a hole in the bend, the center of the spring and threading into the block. You tighten the screw to loosen the clamp on the lugs. The nice thing about this system is that you ton't have to tell users exactly how much clamping force to use - you've built that into the springs you use and the length they're compressed to when released by the screw (and so exerting downforce).
    Bob

Nice. Just got done with a university engineering class that was using Inventor 7. The final project was crazt, 50+ parts, nasty assembly we did. Really great program, hope the water block goes well . . . although I too must put my two bits in.
    There are a lot of waterblocks out there, but as it has been said in this thread, such items as hard drive coolers for hot SCSI drives or the thermal paranoid modders, are rare . . .
    Perhaps a flow efficient, small size / profile / signiture cooler that would fit around a drive would fly . . . dunno, just a finals fried mind's idea.
    Nice stuff, enjoy
    Wish I had the time for fun projects like that, wouldn't mind designing some crazy stuff also . . .
    AMD XP 3000+ 400FSB
    Thermalright SK-7 + TT Smart Fan II
    Soyo SY-KT880 Dragon 2 v1
    2 x 512mb OCZ PC3200 Premiere Dual Channel
    WD740 || WD2500 || Seagate 120 GB 7200.7
    BFG 6800GT OC 256mb || Artic Cooling Silencer 5
    Audigy ES
    Xoxide X-Turbine (Black) - Antec TRUE550

retan14 AT frontiernet DOT net

Yea, i was thinking about the water cooled HDD adapters, but i was thinking about how the mounting would affect it and it would be harder to mount in a conditional.. oh wait! Mounting it on a 5.25 bay instead of the 3.5 one!

Now i got something in mind. Has anyone or any company made a HDD cooler before?

The hardest portion of designing a HDD cooler would be the thermal transfere interface. I believe that Koolance uses a wierd gell to act as the 'filler', but that really doesn't get me going. No good idea that is simple and that might work well has intered my mind, oh well . . .
    AMD XP 3000+ 400FSB
    Audigy ES

Quote Originally Posted by stiLLmatiC
    SiNC - I Am going to work some more on it now. IF you would like to contact me on AIM to help with this please do so. Also The area which is very center top of CPU die is 4mm think, so i guess im off by 1 mm. As terms of concave.. Wouldnt you mean convex? IF it was concave, wouldnt it be just bending in towards the middle, when i would want it going out?

Once i start mass producing these: Probably like 5 I will send you one free of charge.

Also, i that top is supposed to be acrylic, or lucite whichever i can afford.

I dont know any place right now that will let me use their CNC machine. Anyone in the SAN DIEGO area know any place like this, help me out and ill see that you get a waterblock too.
    YAY!!! I live in San Diego! I think I just added you to my AIM(actually Kopete, 'cause I use Linux).

I did mean for it to be bending in towards the middle. Side view \_/ (not that dramatic of course ). The idea is to be able to get the heat from the CPU die as fast as possible without letting it return.

HDD cooler--I have seen some that attach to the sides of the HDD, but I think the ones that cover the spindle on the bottom have a better chance at cooling SCSI's or WD Raptors. Plus I think they fit into 3.5" drive bays.

PS==>I'm barchetta550man on AIM

Quote Originally Posted by SiNC
    YAY!!! I live in San Diego! I think I just added you to my AIM(actually Kopete, 'cause I use Linux).

I did mean for it to be bending in towards the middle. Side view \_/ (not that dramatic of course ). The idea is to be able to get the heat from the CPU die as fast as possible without letting it return.

HDD cooler--I have seen some that attach to the sides of the HDD, but I think the ones that cover the spindle on the bottom have a better chance at cooling SCSI's or WD Raptors. Plus I think they fit into 3.5" drive bays.

PS==>I'm barchetta550man on AIM
    Actually, most modern HDDs are designed to be cooled from the sides since there is usually a metal frame there to conduct heat away.
    That's a sweet rig in your sig, but does it fold?

DRM 'manages access' in the same way that jail 'manages freedom.'

I have noticed that a lot of SCSI drives have the drive sides finned, wonder how much better it works comparted to a normal structure.
    AMD XP 3000+ 400FSB
    Audigy ES

Quote Originally Posted by Annirak
    Actually, most modern HDDs are designed to be cooled from the sides since there is usually a metal frame there to conduct heat away.
    There is metal on the bottom too. This is where most of the heat is produced. I think the real reason why they are side-coolers, is because it's more cost effective for the company and easier to install for the consumer. I doubt it is based on a performance gain.

Last I checked, the bottom of the HDD is covered in circuit board. Yeah, these are the components generating the heat, but any that do generate a significant ammount of heat are thermally coupled to the aluminum chassis of the HDD. It may be effective to build a cooler that fits the bottom, but it will be difficult to get a good thermal coupling to the components that need it on the PCB. Whereas the side of the HDD is flat and easy to couple. And designed to be coupled.

Seriously, if you have a metal case, put thermal compound between your HDD and the rails that hold it, and your HDD temps should drop.
    That's a sweet rig in your sig, but does it fold?

DRM 'manages access' in the same way that jail 'manages freedom.'

Quote Originally Posted by Annirak
    It may be effective to build a cooler that fits the bottom, but it will be difficult to get a good thermal coupling to the components that need it on the PCB. Whereas the side of the HDD is flat and easy to couple.
    EXACTLY!

I'm looking at my HDD right now. The half-dollar size disc on the bottom generates a bunch of heat. It is also possible to cool components from the backside of a PCB and for some components this is more effective(i.e. voltage regulators).

The most difficult part is figuring out the best way to tranfer the heat to the waterblock.

UPDATE:

Construction. I am taking my second design to work! My Teacher knows a friend with CNC Machinery, all i need to do it buy the copper stock, give her the dimensions/specs etc. And in a couple of days (hopefully) I can get it worked out. Im buying big enough stock for 5 AMD waterblocks. Depending on the price of the copper, ill decide on a price, SiNC gets one if he pays shipping .

Design: I am still taking considerations on designs that you would like to be seen done. I am working on one at school that i cannot save to a floppy since its so big for all the ncessary files.

HDD Coolers: Yes, my HDD on the bottom is 1/2 cast metal and 1/2 PCB. Maybe making something that with work both ways? Like a 4 pass waterblock thats just flat and as big as a HDD cooler and mounts to the side, but cools the bottom PCB and the spindle for the disc. im drawing one on a paper while i type this.

Any support is Appreciated!!

Thanks for Looking guys.
    Last edited by stiLLmatiC; 05-05-2004 at 07:57 PM.