Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Positive Experiences w. New AMD64 Driver?

I was just wondering if there was anyone who was really glad, or slightly pleased with their computer's performance after installing the driver. I read some negatives, but others said they had no problems- and I was wondering if "no problems" possibly included a mindblowing performance improvement (one can dream) or no improvement - What's good?
    K8V SE Dlx. 3200+ 1GB Kingston Hyperx 3200a cl2
    2 120 GB Seagate SATA Barracuda's RAID-0
    Saphire x800 pro- Enermax EG465P-VE
    Audigy 2 zs
    PlexCombo 20/10/40-12A
    Check Out : www.zombienationmovie.com to see me in my first movie appearance as "Tulip The Bartender"

Re: Positive Experiences w. New AMD64 Driver?

Quote Originally Posted by *Frankenchrist*
    I was just wondering if there was anyone who was really glad, or slightly pleased with their computer's performance after installing the driver. I read some negatives, but others said they had no problems- and I was wondering if "no problems" possibly included a mindblowing performance improvement (one can dream) or no improvement - What's good?

I have no problems with it other than the fact that ClockGen doesn't work and I notice no performance improvements.

My clockgen doesn't work with this board (no clocks section) and I emailed the guy who makes it and he emailed me this:
    "Hello,
    I already had some return on the K8V version. It seems the K8V support depends on the BIOS version.
    However, I personally have this board, and it works fine (I have BIOS 1005).
    I keep looking at the problem, but I have no solution yet, sorry.
    Thanks, and best regards,
    Franck"
    So it may have nothing to do with the driver, 'cause I don't have it installed yet. I think he's right about the BIOS though, it's probably the culprit- I haven't checked back at his site to see if there's a new version yet.
    K8V SE Dlx. 3200+ 1GB Kingston Hyperx 3200a cl2
    2 120 GB Seagate SATA Barracuda's RAID-0
    Saphire x800 pro- Enermax EG465P-VE
    Audigy 2 zs
    PlexCombo 20/10/40-12A
    Check Out : www.zombienationmovie.com to see me in my first movie appearance as "Tulip The Bartender"

I've downloaded the driver but have been afraid to install it because of reported problems. For the few that tried the driver and found no problems, I have yet to hear anyone report that it does anything noticable! Someone guessed that it implements "cool and quiet" for the 64 bit WinXp. No one seems to have a a clue as to why you would want to install it and what it actually does.

Gentoo Machine - ECS 755-A2 | AMD 64 3000+ at 10x201 | modded 12/28/03 Bios | Thermalright SLK948U + Tornado fan| 512 Buffalo PC3700 + 512 Buffalo PC3200 | 2xIBM 20g 75 GXP | Gainward 440MX | SB Live! | Koss speakers | Artec 16x DVD | Lian Li PC60 case | Allied 500 PS | Nec LCD1760D FP | Gentoo 2004 for AMD64 / WinXP 64-Bit / WinXP Pro

My machines
    Lou_The_Blue_Guru - For those working with computers that havenít figured this out yet: "Everything is related with every other thing ... " -- The Jaina Philosophy of Non-Absolutism

It is for enabling cool and quiet, probably adjust what is considered a "load" on the cpu, how many times per second it can make speed/voltage adjustments, and just some genreal cool and quiet optimizations. I don't see what the big mystery is.

Well, I guess the question is, why enable "cool and quiet" when it is already enabled for WinXP 32 bit. Does this enable it for WinXP 64 bit?
    Lou_The_Blue_Guru - For those working with computers that havenít figured this out yet: "Everything is related with every other thing ... " -- The Jaina Philosophy of Non-Absolutism