I bought a blue orb for my Geforce but the damn stock fan is glued to the chip so how the H-E-double hockey sticks can I get it off?????? Please advise.
    -Asus A7N8X SPP
    -Swiftech 370 W/ Thermaltake SmartFan II
    -Athlon 2700+ 333
    -512 MB Corsair DDR SDRam PC3200CL2 XMS
    -AGP- Radeon 9700 Pro
    Altec ATX 400w Power Supply
    Windows XP Professional
    And one hell of a SWEET case mod!

Well there's two ways that I know of. One is to run something that will get it really hot, then quickly pull out the card and gently twist on the HS, this works -sometimes-. The other is the freezer method. Take your card and put it in a plastic bag and stick it in the freezer until it's really cold you can then apply very gentle pressure to the HS and pry it off. Either way be careful. I'd like to hear other suggestions also.

Cool

Outside of there being nothing between the chip and the heatsink on the video card, Zwolf told you of the only two methods I know of......BE VERY CAREFUL!!!

Well, since I'm still waiting on AMD to send me my damn RMA'ed CPU it looks like the feezer method for me! So gently huh? I have it in the ole' icebox now... any other tips for the icebox removel? Is there gonna be gunk on the chip? If so what household goodies do I use to clean it with?? Can I slap a little Artic silver II on that badboy?
    -Asus A7N8X SPP
    -Athlon 2700+ 333
    -AGP- Radeon 9700 Pro
    Windows XP Professional

I would guess that the glue would be some kind of thermal epoxy. Maybe fingernail polish remover? I'd try a small amount on a Q-tip and seehow it goes. I think I'd try a little Isopropyl first though. And yes use some AS before you install the Blorb.

Isopropyl?? Sounds like a creature in Baldur's gate!! Is that rubbing alchohol? : )
    -Asus A7N8X SPP
    -Athlon 2700+ 333
    -AGP- Radeon 9700 Pro
    Windows XP Professional

Cool

Yes it is by all means, use Artic Silver, but just like on the CPU a little goes along way.

Yup, plain old rubbing alcohol

So did it work? I think i may be doing the same mod to my Creative Annihilator 2 GTS soon.

Yuppers! But Here's 2 pieces of additinal info. I chipped my mobo while doing it, but I ran Mark2001 and everything works fine. After chipping it using a screwdriver I used a pair of large channel locks instead. I grabbed the fan and twisted and poof no more stock heatsink!

I used finger nail polish remover instead of alcholol, it was lemon scented, so I have a fresh smelling video card and that's very important to me! HEHEHE

Thanks PowerHungry!
    -Asus A7N8X SPP
    -Athlon 2700+ 333
    -AGP- Radeon 9700 Pro
    Windows XP Professional

San Diego - Age: 21 People I Hate: SquireSCA
    i saw on www.icrontic.com they used a knife and cut it off, but doing so after running 3dmark sounds like the best idea.
    proud owner of a mutated strain of the AMD jpeg bug that only appears when overclocking. give me a PM if you have any interesting ways for me to kill myself.

A1000 AMT3C
    AYHJA 0134 MPMW
    K 0092810069

There is one more method you could do. This is the way I took my stock fan off my Visiontek gf2ti. If you have around the house a hair dryer (ask mom, girlfriend, live in room mate) about 1500 watts is good. Hold dryer @ 8 inches away from heatsink warm heatsink. Make sure you only direct heat towards heatsink after about 40 seconds try twisting or prying off with small screwdriver.
    80z28s6

Ask Steamer....... It's His Fault

"Athlon. It's faster. It's cheaper. What are you, some kind of idiot?"

Athlon XP 2500@2ghz, Iwill XP333
    DD Maze3 wb,Ehiem 1250,Bix w/120mm Panaflo,DD res.
    Lian-Li PC-71

This site might help, worth a look see.
    http://users.rcn.com/chinmonster/
    Space

San Diego - Age: 21 People I Hate: SquireSCA
    Originally posted by Spaceman52
    This site might help, worth a look see.
    http://users.rcn.com/chinmonster/
    Space
    thats an good technique if youve got the clearance, unfortunatly, a motherboard chipset is often cluttered with a bunch of other things. clearance is a rare thing on mobo chipsets. I like the hair dryer method... and i plan to try it soon.
    proud owner of a mutated strain of the AMD jpeg bug that only appears when overclocking. give me a PM if you have any interesting ways for me to kill myself.

A1000 AMT3C
    AYHJA 0134 MPMW
    K 0092810069