WD HDD weird problem

Last night when i try to boot my PC up, it wouldn't boot... so I begin to diagnose the problem.

My WD 307AA has been working for a long time. But last night when i can't boot it up, i notice that instead of saying WD307AA on post, it says WD51AA

I don't know how it changed, but i can't get it to work as WD307AA so i can't boot in to my windows.

Anyone has any idea?

Thank you.

Re: WD HDD weird problem

The first thing to do would be to run the Western Digital diagnostic program on the disk. There is a link in the sticky at the top of the page. Run the full test and let us know what it reveals.

Quote Originally Posted by AMD Power
    Last night when i try to boot my PC up, it wouldn't boot... so I begin to diagnose the problem.

My WD 307AA has been working for a long time. But last night when i can't boot it up, i notice that instead of saying WD307AA on post, it says WD51AA

I don't know how it changed, but i can't get it to work as WD307AA so i can't boot in to my windows.

Anyone has any idea?

Thank you.
    Chances are that the drive has developed a problem. Run WD's diagnostics and let that be your guide. Frankly I'd recommend replacing it with a current generation drive anyway as performance will be quite a bit better overall.

Has anyone suggested to use the WD diagnostic tool?
    Gigabyte GA-8KVNXP
    A64 3200 1MB Cache "CG" stepping
    SLK-948U & SilenX 92mm fan
    1GB Centon PC3500 DDR (CAS 2.5)
    ATI Radeon 9800Pro 128MB (410/360) w/ VGA Silencer Rev2
    2 x 36GB WD SATA Raptor in RAID0
    IDE 200GB Seagate
    Stealth Lite-On DVD Burner
    Lian-Li PC-82 case with 80mm SilenX fans all around
    550w Fully Sleeved Antec True Power PS

Quote Originally Posted by scriptasylum
    Has anyone suggested to use the WD diagnostic tool?
    Yes... right above your post.

Just mess'n with ya

Quote Originally Posted by BWM
    Yes... right above your post.

Just mess'n with ya

Lol, actually, I was messing with you since I saw two posts right after each other mention the same thing. I was trying to be funny.
    Gigabyte GA-8KVNXP
    A64 3200 1MB Cache "CG" stepping
    SLK-948U & SilenX 92mm fan
    1GB Centon PC3500 DDR (CAS 2.5)
    ATI Radeon 9800Pro 128MB (410/360) w/ VGA Silencer Rev2
    2 x 36GB WD SATA Raptor in RAID0
    IDE 200GB Seagate
    Stealth Lite-On DVD Burner
    Lian-Li PC-82 case with 80mm SilenX fans all around
    550w Fully Sleeved Antec True Power PS

before I get 4th, 5th, and so on suggestion about using WD Diagnostic, I should tell you this. It does not run.

I try the newest and older version of WD diagnostic(or Data Life Diagnostic), the newest version give me 0132 code, which according to WD's site, it's retest with appropriate version of DL diagnostic. So I try the old version. It freeze.

I really don't think diagnostic tool would help in this case. I need to know how and why is there WD51AA firmware in my WD307AA, and how to fix it. Anyone happen to know any WD engineers???

Quote Originally Posted by AMD Power
    before I get 4th, 5th, and so on suggestion about using WD Diagnostic, I should tell you this. It does not run.

I try the newest and older version of WD diagnostic(or Data Life Diagnostic), the newest version give me 0132 code, which according to WD's site, it's retest with appropriate version of DL diagnostic. So I try the old version. It freeze.

I really don't think diagnostic tool would help in this case. I need to know how and why is there WD51AA firmware in my WD307AA, and how to fix it. Anyone happen to know any WD engineers???
    WD generally doesn't provide firmware updates. You might try clearing CMOS to see if the drive is correctly identified in the next reboot. If not then I'd recommend replacing the drive.

I tried on 4 different computer, all say the same thing. Now I'm just trying to figure out if the PCB is the problem, if it is, then i'll try to locate a PCB and save the data.

I suppose there a chance that something from the internet caused it, but this'll be the first time that I've heard of it causing a drive to assume an incorrect but legitimate model number and firmware revision.