Hi,

This is my first build, with the following components:

Asus K8V Deluxe
    AMD 3000 64-bit processor
    2x512 Corsair RAM
    80gb hard drive
    Radeon 9800 Graphics Card
    350W Power supply in X-dreamer chassis

The motherboard light comes on when the computer is plugged in, but when I actually press the power button on the front panel, it only starts to boot for about 1 sec (the heatsink fan turns, the front panel lights flash). I had someone a little more knowledgable than I check my connections and he thought the setup looked okay (though he is by no means an expert either).

How can I troubleshoot what components or connections are the problem if I can't even get to the BIOS?

Thanks!

Leonard

Re: Newly Built CPU only flashes on for 1 sec

check your CMOS jumper is on the right settings. I had it on the 'clear' pins once and forgot to change it back. when i restarted, i got the exact same thing you are getting
    AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE 3.1GHz
    ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
    XFX Radeon HD 5830
    2x2GB G.Skillz Ripjaw 1600MHz

something is shorting..! Check all wiring work twice over and if that doesn't succeed then one-by-one eliminate components to try and isolate the problem. My first bet would be memory

try another psu if that is an option as well.

Like super ducky said....check the wiring and make sure that none of it is pinced. A common place for short circuits to occur is the mobo mounting holes. Strip you system down to just a mobo, cpu and HSU, memory, video card, monitor, keyboard and mouse. Reseat all the components, but 1st pull your motherboard and check the back of it for obvious burn marks and possible short circuit areas around the mounting holes. IF the problem persists, swap video cards and memory, if you have access to other parts. If not, RMA is you only alternative.
    When you die and go to Heaven in a Windows environment, you still have to reboot......
    AMD 2600+ (200MHz X 11) w/Thermalright SLK-900U HSU W/PC Toyz 92mm Tornado fan
    Abit NF7-S Rev. 2.0 mobo
    1024 MB (2X512MB) PC3200LL CORSAIR DDR SDRAM
    NEC 22" FE2111SB Monitor
    2 Western Digital 80 GB SE HD's (RAID 0 config)
    Lite-on 16X DVD ROM & 52X/24X/52x CDRW
    Sony 3 1/2" floppy drive
    PowerColor Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
    Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS Platinum sound card
    Cambridge SoundWorks DTT2200 5.1 speakers
    Super Flower 301TS-BK Al-Mg case
    Ultra 500W PSU
    Microsoft K/B and optical mouse
    Windows XP Pro edition

From my experience, a short (anywhere) wouldn't even allow the PC to start (not even a second) whatsoever. Simply put, nothing will turn on at all if there is a short somewhere.

From the description, it could be heat problem. The heatsink/fan isn't seated properly on the CPU's die, thus it overheats and the COP (CPU Overheating Protection) goes into work so it turns off the PC to prevent the frying of his CPU.

I say definitely check his heatsink/fan for proper seating/contact. And don't tell us there isn't even a heatsink/fan on the CPU to start with!!!
    MSI Eclipse Plus with Intel Xeon W3550, 6GB (3x2GB) Corsair DDR3-1600, BFG 9600GT 512MB
    EVGA E770 Classified 3 with Intel i7 950, 6GB (3x2GB) Mushkin Red 998707 DDR3-2000, EVGA GTX285 SC 1GB
    Asus M4A89GTD-Pro/USB3 with AMD Athlon X2 555 BE and 4GB Crucial Rendition DDR3-1333
    Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe, AMD Athlon A64 4000+, EvGA 7600GT 512MB
    Gigabyte P4M900-M4 Rev. 6.1, P4 3Ghz Prescott, 2GB OCZ Gold (2x1GB), EVGA 6800GS 256MB

A possibility for a short circuit with the symptoms he describes exists if his short circuit is occuring with a CPU related circuit. But your suggestion is probably more accurate as far as his problem goes or his no CPU fan rpm is locked in the enabled position (not likely).... Hopefully he will post back.
    Last edited by Tazmanian Engr; 05-20-2004 at 08:48 PM.
    When you die and go to Heaven in a Windows environment, you still have to reboot......
    AMD 2600+ (200MHz X 11) w/Thermalright SLK-900U HSU W/PC Toyz 92mm Tornado fan
    Abit NF7-S Rev. 2.0 mobo
    1024 MB (2X512MB) PC3200LL CORSAIR DDR SDRAM
    NEC 22" FE2111SB Monitor
    2 Western Digital 80 GB SE HD's (RAID 0 config)
    Lite-on 16X DVD ROM & 52X/24X/52x CDRW
    Sony 3 1/2" floppy drive
    PowerColor Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
    Creative Labs Audigy 2 ZS Platinum sound card
    Cambridge SoundWorks DTT2200 5.1 speakers
    Super Flower 301TS-BK Al-Mg case
    Ultra 500W PSU
    Microsoft K/B and optical mouse
    Windows XP Pro edition

i had this problem whe i fried a duron 900 in a kt133, but i doubt he fried his cpu

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you...I was out of town.

You should find this interesting:

Anyway, I found somebody's response in another forum to an almost unrelated topic, but it worked...

Took 80% of the screws out of the motherboard and it booted to the initial screen and froze in the middle...took 2 more screws out and it booted up completely! I didn't realize these things were THAT delicate -- I honestly didn't have any of those screws on that tight.

I'm just happy (and probably lucky) I haven't had to RMA anything thusfar. Nothing's fried.

Thanks for your help.