Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Caution: Fedora Core 2 on dual boot system

Once again, be very careful if you are installing Fedora Core 2 on a Windows/Linux dual boot system - it suffers the same bug as Mandrake 10 Community Edition:

Beware Fedora Core 2 Linux if you dual boot Windows XP
    http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/4896
    http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/4911

It is an issue that people should know about. The truth of the matter is, that almost none of the developers dual boot, and hence,no testing. Even the few that did try it, did so on IBM laptops and desktops, and didnt have any problems.
    Excellent Unofficial K7S5A motherboard guide
    K7S5A Linux configuration
    GIMP 2.0 for Windows installation note
    Bootable DOS in USB Flash memory

Re: Caution: Fedora Core 2 on dual boot system

Excellent Unofficial K7S5A motherboard guide
    K7S5A Linux configuration
    GIMP 2.0 for Windows installation note
    Bootable DOS in USB Flash memory

I was hit by this bug on FC2test2, but fortunately it was quickly fixed by changing the BIOS disk access mode from AUTO to LBA.

SHOULDN'T WE STICKY THIS?

Thanks for posting this. I'm glad I haven't upgraded my dual-boot XP/FC1 laptop yet to FC2.

I guess we'll know in the next few days if this bug still exists in FC2 final, although I assume it does.

This really should carry a recommendation not to install on a dual boot system without first fully backing up your system, and be prepared to lose the ability to boot/access your windows partition.

Those that know what they're doing may be able to recover from this, but many won't be able to.

Makes me even more glad I bought a copy of Norton Ghost

Ned
    Last edited by Ned Slider; 10-15-2004 at 07:24 PM.

EDIT: *** THIS PROBLEM APPEARS TO AFFECT ALL 2.6 KERNEL BASED DISTROS - NOT JUST FEDORA ***

Update:

I've been reading around on some other linux forums and it seems users are still being hit by this bug.

Some users are managing to recover from it by various methods posted but others are not. There doesn't seem to be any recognisable pattern as to what setups/systems are afflicted and which aren't.

I guess it's sensible advice for any OS install/upgrade, but if you are installing (or upgrading to) Fedora Core 2 on a dual boot Windows machine, TAKE A FULL BACKUP OF YOUR SYSTEM AND BE PREPARED TO POTENTIALLY LOOSE YOUR WINDOWS PARTITION. Something like Norton Ghost (or other DOS based backup) is useful as you won't need to reinstall windows to recover.

I don't mean to scaremonger, but people out there are still loosing their data!

Ned
    Last edited by Ned Slider; 10-15-2004 at 07:24 PM.

Exclamation Precautions Can Be Take If...

If you do dual boot and have two separate hard drives for this purpose, setting the Windows drive to slave, and the Linux drive to Master can help eliminate this problem. I did this and then when I installed FC2, I disconnected the Slave Drive from the IDE Cable and pulled the power plug. I installed FC2 and Grub and then set up an extra entry in Grub for booting Windows XP after that. In this entry, I remapped the hd0 to hd1 and hd1 to hd0 so Windows thinks it is the Primary drive, and therefore booted without being the wiser. There is a website with documentation on this, I just do not have the link handy. If people ask, I will post my grub.conf to show how it is set up including the re-mapping. If you eventually want to re-install Linux, you can just unplug the slave drive again, and not have these possible problems. If you want to re-install Windows, just unplug the Linux drive, set the Windows drive to Master and turn your computer on, and Windows will not notice the difference.
    When FC2 installs, it looks at all attached hard disks, and sets them up accordingly, which is not always good... Ask someone who was hit with this problem. So this fix will work if you have 2 hard disks, and some internal know-how.
    Last edited by weloman; 05-25-2004 at 06:08 PM.

Re: Precautions Can Be Take If...

Quote Originally Posted by weloman
    If you do dual boot and have two separate hard drives for this purpose, setting the Windows drive to slave, and the Linux drive to Master can help eliminate this problem. I did this and then when I installed FC2, I disconnected the Slave Drive from the IDE Cable and pulled the power plug. I installed FC2 and Grub and then set up an extra entry in Grub for booting Windows XP after that. In this entry, I remapped the hd0 to hd1 and hd1 to hd0 so Windows thinks it is the Primary drive, and therefore booted without being the wiser. There is a website with documentation on this, I just do not have the link handy. If people ask, I will post my grub.conf to show how it is set up including the re-mapping. If you eventually want to re-install Linux, you can just unplug the slave drive again, and not have these possible problems. If you want to re-install Windows, just unplug the Linux drive, set the Windows drive to Master and turn your computer on, and Windows will not notice the difference.
    When FC2 installs, it looks at all attached hard disks, and sets them up accordingly, which is not always good... Ask someone who was hit with this problem. So this fix will work if you have 2 hard disks, and some internal know-how.
    Thanks for your post weloman. I've just got my copy of FC2 today and after reading your post on how you dual boot, would like to dual boot my computer the same way.
    Could you please give more detail on how you did it. Or that web site with the documentation on how to do it. Also could you post your grub.conf.
    Thanks
    SIKA

Exclamation Re: Caution: Fedora Core 2 on dual boot system

Here's a rather technical document posted to fedora-devel list titled
    Prevention and Recovery of XP Dual Boot Problems
    If the simple "change disk access to LBA in BIOS" fix doesn't work for you, try the method in the document.

Here is a sample grug.conf to look over...

# grub.conf generated by anaconda
    #
    # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
    # NOTICE: You have a /boot partition. This means that
    # all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
    # root (hd0,0)
    # kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda2
    # initrd /initrd-version.img
    #boot=/dev/hda
    default=0
    timeout=10
    splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    title Red Hat Linux (2.4.18-10)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.18-10 ro root=/dev/hda2 hdb=dma
    initrd /initrd-2.4.18-10.img
    title M$-Windows
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    rootnoverify (hd1,0)
    chainloader +1

The bold area would boot a Windows Slave drive on the Primary IDE. (hd1)
    The map (hd1) (hd0) allows Windows to think it has won, and runs as MASTER.
    The map (hd0) (hd1) puts the real MASTER in hiding so not to confuse Bill.

rootnoverify(hd1,0) boots the Slave drive's first boot partition, where windows normally would install itself on a hard drive of its own.

The default=0 would boot Linux in this case, but on my machine where little gaffers play games all the time, I had to change it to default=1 to boot Windows by default. (Oh the shame... )

I hope this gives you some insight on the grub.conf side of things. The trick is to not have your windows drive connected at all during the install, and then modify grub.conf before you shutdown. Then you can reconnect your windows drive safely, and should be able to dual boot without any hassles that have been previously mentioned since the BIOS does not show a drive connected during the install.

The problem isnt just Fedora, its acctually all the 2.6 kernels that seems to have this problem.
    If its the kernel, or windows that gives the problem, im not sure of, but one of them calculates a bit wrong..

Anyways, after you have installed Fedora, and get that dual boot problem with windows, there is a command that can help you solve it.
    Atleast it did for me.

make sure you have su rights (root)

Start a console and type: sfdisk -d /dev/hda | sfdisk --no-reread -H255 /dev/hda
    (if windows is installed on /dev/hda that is)

You might have to use --force after that too
    Reboot and try.

This ofcourse CAN do damage to your partition tables too, so do it at your own risk.

read more about it here:

http://slashdot.org/articles/04/05/2...id=110&tid=187

Oh shit i just installed Fedora core 2 on my machine...f***, Tri boot W2k, wxp, FC2
    2500+ @ 2283, 207*11
    512MB Kingmax pc 3200 2.5 3 3 11
    Gigabyte GA7N400Pro2
    Gigabyte Radeon 9600Pro @ 447/325
    Slk900a + 92x25mm Sunon 50CFM
    Zalman NB32JGold NBSink

Quote Originally Posted by Gobi
    The problem isnt just Fedora, its acctually all the 2.6 kernels that seems to have this problem.
    If its the kernel, or windows that gives the problem, im not sure of, but one of them calculates a bit wrong..
    Yes, It's happening with other distros that use the 2.6 kernel:

Windows No Longer Boots Following the Installation of SUSE LINUX 9.1

Applies to: SUSE LINUX 9.1

Situation

Following the installation of SUSE LINUX 9.1, the Linux system can be booted, but the Windows system no longer boots. After selecting the Windows entry in the boot loader GRUB, a message such as the following is displayed:

root (hd 0,0)
    Filesystem type unknown, partition type 0x7
    chainloader +1

The computer stops at this point.

The Windows boot loader may also stop with an error message (if GRUB/LILO was *not* installed in the MBR during the installation and the Windows loader was retained).

The problem cannot be solved by restoring the original MBR with YaST or by writing a new MBR with Windows tools (with the command FIXMBR or with FIXBOOT from the Windows rescue console). Repairing the partition table with proprietary partitioning tools does not solve the problem either, but may even destroy the entire partition table.

The problem cannot even be solved by uninstalling Linux or installing Windows anew without deleting the entire hard disk.

Cause

The partitioning tool parted which YaST uses during the installation may write an incorrect partition table.

The problem occurs if

* The BIOS and Linux "see" different disk geometries AND
    * The Windows partition is larger than about 8 GB (more precisely: if the first hard disk partition ends on cylinder 1024 or beyond this point).

When the system is booted, Windows may use the values in the partition table, which causes a failure.

Currently, this problem also occurs on other Linux distributions using kernel 2.6.

Solution

One quick solution is to activate the (LBA or large) access mode (under which the hard disk was previously addressed) for the hard disk(s) in the computer's BIOS. Important: the hard disk values should not be set to "AUTO".

If this does not help (or if your BIOS does not offer this option), you can repair the partition table with a driver update. To do this, proceed as follows: On our FTP server, you will find two images at ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/upd.../misc/parted/: one for creating a floppy disk and one for creating a CD.
    http://portal.suse.com/sdb/en/2004/0...booting91.html
    Mepis 6.5.02 . . . Kernel-2.6.15-27-desktop64-smp
    Debian-Etch . . . Kernel-2.6.17-2

I am only two weeks into Linux and have been concentrating my effort to understand Grub.

Must admit I don't know if I have walked into a trap but so far I have XP sitting in hda1 and a Data on Hda2.

FC2 occupies Hda3

A common /home partition for Linux data sharing takes up hda5

A common Linux swap partition is at hda6

Suse 9.1 took up hda7

Mandrake 9.2 has been installed in hda8

Finally I also put Knoppix 3.3 in hda9.

All except the last one Knoppix can be selected for booting. Knoppix came with Lilo and I don't know how to deal with it yet. FC2, Suse and Mandrake allow me to choose Grub as bootloader. Grub seems very easy to play with.

Only FC2 was allowed into MBR, all the others have their bootloader Grub residing in their own partition.

I just copied the relevant lines in the respective menu.lst file (root=, kernel & initrd lines)
    and pasted them into FC2 menu.lst. The menu.lst is always available in /boot/grub directory of them. Even before I put a distro back to boot from the HDD I could get it loaded with a bootable Grub floppy. At Grub prompt one line "Configfile (hd0,7)/boot/grub/menu.lst" is all that needed to load the system residing in hda8. ((hd0,6) for hda7 etc)

My XP with 3 Linux are all happily booting from the same hard disk.

I never allow any of the distro to install automatically because they like to grab the full HDD. Also I forced them to use ext2 file system, and confine their Grub bootloader inside their partitions.

I haven't managed to use my Windows partition in all Linux versions yet but in Suse I could load my photo stored in Windows partition and use it for the screen background.

Do you guy think I am walking into a time bomb? They all seem to work fine and I am working on getting Knoppix back in line too.
    Last edited by saikee; 07-04-2004 at 05:31 PM.

I`ve had no problems when i used partition magic to resize and then install fedora 2. only had more problems installing on core 2 than i did on core 1.
    a7n8x-d2.8.msi 5900 and diamond 7.1 sound using digital out.1g xms 3200c2 mem, liteon dvd burner. Been using ubuntu-no windiz.

This is my 3rd week into Linux as a absolute beginner.

I cannot agree with the Kernel 2.6 is creating problem for booting.

Out of the four Linux I installed with XP two of them have kernel 2.6. Three use Grub while one uses Lilo as the boot loader.

I can boot any of them by amending the boot menu.lst but I now have gone further trying to be lazy by calling them up with chainloader +1 command. That effectively avoiding the need to know about of their boot menus. Since then I have amend each Linux boot menu to include the other 4 partitions in the hard disk.

So far I discover that I can switch the Linux to take control of the MBR, jump from one Linux's boot menu to another Linux's boot menu and able to boot Xp, FC2, Suse, Mandrake and Knoppix any time at any point by jumping around the four Linux boot menus.

As an example, I have FC2's Grub in MBR so when the PC boots up with the FC2 menu showing all 5 choices. I can select Suse and Grub chainloads the Suse's partition and its boot menu. From Suse I select Mandrake and from Mandrake to Knoppix menu. Finally I cam select from Knoppix's menu to jump back to FC2. Yet all 5 systems are bootable at any point in the loop.

All the tricks are shown in this site.

Based on FC2 can manage MBR if it is asked to, or managed by another Linux in MBR and lives happily as one of 4 Linux inside the same hard disk with XP, I cannot agree FC2 has a booting problem at all. The problem may therefore dependent on the type of hard disk used. Mine is a 200Gb Maxtor ATA133.
    Last edited by saikee; 07-12-2004 at 07:29 AM.