Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Caution: Fedora Core 2 on dual boot system

title M$-Windows
    map (hd1) (hd0)
    map (hd0) (hd1)
    rootnoverify (hd1,0)
    chainloader +1

Thanks for the above tip, it works fine for me without having to go through all the complicated guides i've seen elswhere - in fact i tried them first b4 i saw this and they didn't work.

i've got my raid drive and a single 120gig as master on ide 0.
    boot sequence is hd0 (drive c), scsi (drive d)
    windoze is actually on the raid - drive d instead of c, from when i ran mandrake. i thought this would cause probs with this bug, but remapping the drive works.
    Also, i didn't need to set hd0 to lba in the bios.

so, if you have an odd set-up like me, try this b4 you get drastic
    thanks

Thumbs up Re: Caution: Fedora Core 2 on dual boot system

Good Work Saikee. I have to agree with you. I just came back to Linux after a few months. I
    just installed Suse, Xandros and FC2 on my Win98 drive. Both Suse and Xandros had no problem
    including all the OS's in Grub. But FC2 did not though I did not take advantage of the add OS
    feature at the beginning of the Install. So, I copied Suse's Menu 1st to FC2 Menu 1st and that
    took care of Win98 and Suse. Then I had to reinstall Xandros which was no big deal and took
    about 20 minutes. Xandros saw them all and now I can select anyone from the Xandros Menu.
    Also, from my experience with Mandrake 10 it did not have any problem seeing my existing
    WinMe and WinXPPro. Why do I have all these different OS's. Well I'm retired and have alot
    of time on my hands. Playing around with them is fun.

I have never installed Linux & Windows onto the same PC without having 2 drives at least!

One drive per O/S - always has been this way for me.

Anyway, I have a slightly different issue that I came across with FC2 the other day...

Installed fine, but now my Primary Master ( FC2 ) was coming up in the BIOS as CHS rather than LBA

Now, this is not in itself a problem per-se, however, it was a trial run anyway, and the Drive would be going back to be used for windows' stuff, and I would use another HD for Linux, but when I tried to reinstall Windows... It failed!

I had to completely wipe the entire disk, removing partitions, and FDISK /MBR, and I know I did somethign else, because FDISK /MBR is the first thing I did, then I let Windows kill off any partitions, then repartition it, and it still failed. I also used Partition Magic to try it and again, it failed. I even tried to force LBA in the BIOS but it failed... Not sure what I did, but it is now runnign fine again.

This is actually NOT FC2's fault, as I have had this come up some time ago... and it was just as nasty to sort out then!

I will be reinstalling FC2 on my Linux box possibly over the weekend, but for now, its not going anywhere but in the disk box.
    Lots of PCs

Check em out on
    www.fatrakoon.co.uk/pc

had trouble booting suse 9.1 prof and windows xp. it was a bios setting--

primary master-set it on AUTO
    access mode-LARGE

that did it , was able to boot into both operating system. it was thought it might be a large drive issue, mine happen on a ibm 60gb.
    #1-i5-4690k-msi z97 gaming 5- msi gtx 1060 6gb- lg ud 68 4k monitor
    #2-amd phenom II x6 1100T-gigabyte 990fxa ud3-xfx 480 4gb- asus pb 278 2k moitor
    #3-i5-2400- biostar tzz77-msi 480 4gb- asus vx24a 2k monitor
    #4-dell inspiron 1520-8600 gt

I've been reading this post and wanted to post a problem (small problem). I wanted to setup WinXP, FC2, and SuSE 9.1 on my notebook computer. I installed WinXP first and used it to make 3 10 GB partitions (and it kept 8mb free space for its boot information).

I then installed FC2 and during the install it showed the Windows partition /dev/hda1 and then it showed a /dev/hda2 partition of about 20GB with two partitions of 10 GB each listed as hda5 and hda6. hda5 & 6 were listed as Win95, so I deleted them and then I had just /hda2 with 20 gb of Freespace. I made a swap of 512mb and a root drive with about 9GB. (Sorry I can't be more specific on the drive sizes and designations). FC2 installed fine, but when the computer boots up, it boots only into WinXP.

Since I still had the other 10 GB of freespace, I decided to install SuSE 9.1 Personal edition. I used the automatic partitioning in the freespace. When SuSE boots up, it gives me the choice of Linux, Windows, Failsafe, and all boot up, but I still have FC2 installed and don't know how to get it to boot up.

One important fact is that I selected to install the MBR for FC2 on the same partion as the rest of it. How do I tie FC2 in with SuSE so that it'll see it and offer me the choice for FC2 as well?
    ~~ Rickola1977 ~~

Soltek K8AN2E-GR - AMD Athlon64 3400+ w/ WinXP SP2 Home
    SiS M650 - Dell Inspiron 1000 Notebook w/ Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Ubuntu, & openSUSE.

Well, I think I can add a little more information. It appears that WinXP is on hda1 (9.8GB), Fedora Core 2 is on hda5 (9.1GB), and SuSE is on hda8 (8.0GB). Here's how it all reads from KDiskFree:

Device Type Size Mount Point Free Full%
    /dev/cdrecorder subfs N/A /media/cdrecorder 0.8 N/A
    /dev/hda1 ntfs 9.8GB /windows/C 6.8 GB 30.4%
    /dev/hda5 auto 9.1GB /data1 2.5GB 72.4%
    /dev/hda8 reiserfs 8.0GB / 6.4GB 19.5%
    sysfs sysfs N/A /sys 0 B N/A
    tmpfs 7 108.4MB /dev/shm 108.4MB 0.0%

And here is a grub.conf file:

#
    #
    # NOTICE: You do not have a /boot partition. This means that all kernel and
    initrdths are
    ~~ Rickola1977 ~~

Sorry, this isn't a very friendly text editor here! Didn't mean to submit that last one yet. Here's my grub.conf again.

# NOTICE: You do not have a /boot partition. This means that all kernel and initrd
    # paths are relative to /, eg.
    # root (hd0, 4)
    # kernel /boot/vmlinuz version ro root=/dev/hda5
    # initrd /boot/initrd version.img
    #
    #boot=/dev/hda5
    default=0
    timeout=10
    splashimage-(hd0, 4) /boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
    title Fedora Core (2.6.5-1.358)
    . root (hd0, 4)
    . kernel /boot/vmlinus 2.6.5-1.358 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
    . initrd /boot/initrd 2.6.5 -1.358.img
    title Other
    . rootnoverify (hd0, 0)
    . chainloader +1

From what I've read on this post, it seems like a simple edit of the grub.conf should fix the problem, but I don't know what to put. SuSE and WinXP both work fine it's just that FC2 is not seen as being there even though it's fully installed. Thanks
    ~~ Rickola1977 ~~

Did you use Grub as bootloader for Suse? If so, it's just a matter of copy and paste from
    the grub.conf file of Fedora to the grub.conf file of Suse. Log on as root and open them
    both up with a text editor. You will first have to mount the Fedora partition. That can be done from the Terminal. I usually type: mount -t ext3 /dev/hda5 /opt . Opt being the folder that you are mounting to. You could also use tmp. With the text editor navigate to both grub.conf and copy
    title Fedora Core (2.6.5-1.358)
    root (hd0, 4)
    kernel /boot/vmlinus 2.6.5-1.358 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
    initrd /boot/initrd 2.6.5 -1.358.img

Paste after the last entry in the Suse grub.conf. Probably
    title Other
    rootnoverify (hd0, 0)
    chainloader +1 Save the modified Suse Grub.conf and that should do it.

Thanks Basie,

I got it up and running. I've now got WinXP, SuSE 9.1 Personal, and Fedora Core 2 all installed and bootable. ....and the learning continues!
    ~~ Rickola1977 ~~

hello everyone, new to Linux here, after many hours of frustration, I finally got Fedora 2 up and running and found this WONDERFUL sticky, after changing both my drives to LBA in the BIOS - I have Win2K Prof on my Primary Master, and Fedora 2 on the Primary Slave, I can again boot into Windoze (Thank You! as all my important stuff is here for now, and I'm too smart to image my drive before installing a new o/s DOH!).

Well, looks like I'm gonna have to revisit this. System specs. are in my signature. After installing Fedora 2, and having it crash and now reinstalling it, I'm again getting random lockups in windows.

I orignally partioned my main drive on Auto/Auto, I recently used partion magic, after having changed it to Auto/LBA, and partition magic complained about a geometry problem, and asked me if I wanted it fixed, I said yes. Don't know if that's an issue yet, except Norton Disk Doctor 2005 constantly reports security descriptor problems, on my main drive, yet when I schedule a repair, and reboot, it runs chkdsk reports no errors and boots up. Maybe a bug with Norton 2K5?!?! Who knows.

Anyway, I'm also hearing my drive working more than when FC2 wasn't installed, clicking noises etc....

I have run both drive manufacturers extensive disk tests and both drives passed all tests.

I currently am setup like this:

Auto/LBA HDD0 Win2K and XP Pro are installed here on 2 separate partitions (was one, this is where I used partition magic)
    Auto/Auto HDD1 this drive also has 2 partitions which were created using Auto/LBA using windows to partition the drives.

Of note also, on installing FC2 it complained about errors on hdd0 - that would be fixable later (I thought that was a nice touch of little to no information), and would not install if I started to use Disk Druid, I HAD to let it do "auto", and tell it where to install on HDD1.

These hardlocks in Windows is the part that scares me, just a hard lock and the HDD LED lights up BRIGHT, and just stays that way, no noise - not even normal access noise, just silence.

If I can't get windows to cohabitate with Linux, I'll just have to stay with windows for now.

Another side note, which I think is affected by this hole problem, if I cold boot my system, i get a GRUB error, then I ctrl-alt-del to restart, and all is ok.

I have two systems using FC2 in a dual boot: one is a Compaq 333mhz Celeron system with a single 6 gig drive with w98 and the other is an Athlon XP 2K/Asus A7n8x Deluxe with a pair of 12 gig drives with XP on the master and FC2 on the slave. Both systems were uneventful setups. The Compaq was set up initially formatted in DOS with two 3g partitions and W98 loaded into hda1 normally. Then set up FC2 on hda2, with grub setting up three partitions for linux, hda5-7. 7 is the 500 K swap partition. Not sure why I/grub set up the small 100 K extra partition (Noob here).

The Athlon system was equally straightforward with XP loaded initially on hda and FC2 subsequently loaded without incident on hdb.

Just dumb noobie luck I guess, but does lightning strike twice in the same place often? The only common thread in both these installs was doing the Windoz first. Go figure.
    Epox 9npa + Ultra, Athlon 64 3000, XFX GeForce 6200, 1G, dual boot Kanotix 2005-02 and XP