Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A sad state of affairs..........

Has it really come to this? When parents can't/won't teach their own children table manners!This article epitomizes the sad state at which we as a society have reached. Forget about Paris Hilton's new commercial. Forget about Janet Jacksons fopa. Forget about Sean Penn's visit to Iraq.....

When we as parents can't teach our children how to use a fork/spoon/knife, or what a napkin is for, or when to blow our nose....when we require (BY LAW) our teaching professionals to teach the Constitution of these United States for 1 day, but allow them to teach etiquette en'mass......

That, my friends is pretty pathetic!
    There are none so blind as those who will not see!

Re: A sad state of affairs..........

Experts say our society is evolving, progressing yet we fail in part or in whole to get beyond even the common fundementals of stuff that was taught in the victorian era.

----------------
    Government is another way to say better, than, you!
    It's like ice but no pick a murder charge that won't stick its like a whole other world where you can smell the food
    But you can't touch the silverware

- Cory Taylor of Stone Sour
    Lately whenever gas prices go up , a part of me thinks back to the times of Bill Clinton , and I think of all the great things he did for China

Quote Originally Posted by trekrider
    Has it really come to this? When parents can't/won't teach their own children table manners!This article epitomizes the sad state at which we as a society have reached. Forget about Paris Hilton's new commercial. Forget about Janet Jacksons fopa. Forget about Sean Penn's visit to Iraq.....

When we as parents can't teach our children how to use a fork/spoon/knife, or what a napkin is for, or when to blow our nose....when we require (BY LAW) our teaching professionals to teach the Constitution of these United States for 1 day, but allow them to teach etiquette en'mass......

That, my friends is pretty pathetic!
    Not for nothing, but children generally do not follow etiquette. Certainly a percentage does not have a good example to follow, but I doubt there is no difference percentage-wise than 50 or 100 yrs ago of people having good etiquette vs those who are lacking. What's sad about the above is the liberal agenda teachers follow - that they should teach our children their values, believing they can do it better than parents. It is yet another attempt at "it takes a village to..." push by the liberals here.

Unfortunately, this 9 year old girl has been taught the wrong way to use a steak knife.
    http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_i...7536121407B226
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bk94si
    Unfortunately, this 9 year old girl has been taught the wrong way to use a steak knife.
    http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_i...7536121407B226
    It's the environment she grew up in, ie East New York (Brooklyn) is a very bad neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody1
    Not for nothing, but children generally do not follow etiquette. Certainly a percentage does not have a good example to follow, but I doubt there is no difference percentage-wise than 50 or 100 yrs ago of people having good etiquette vs those who are lacking. What's sad about the above is the liberal agenda teachers follow - that they should teach our children their values, believing they can do it better than parents. It is yet another attempt at "it takes a village to..." push by the liberals here.
    I wouldn't be too quick to pin this one on the liberals. I see parents of all backgrounds dumping more and more on schools, all while complaining that little Johnnie isn't learning the basics like he/she used to. I also disagree that things aren't much different than 50 or 100 years ago, percentage-wise. Perhaps it is just my own experience, but I can't remember more than a couple kids of my era showing a total lack of respect to pretty much everyone. Today I needn't look far for kids that don't give a crap about respect and the ones that *do* actually sort of stand out rather than being the norm.

FWIW, I think the "it takes a village" is a load of crap. What it takes is parents who care enough to put doing it right ahead of career/money/etc. In the absence of this, most seem to welcome the "it takes a village" approach, and demand the schools pick up the slack.

What's sad about the above is the liberal agenda teachers follow - that they should teach our children their values, believing they can do it better than parents.
    That's the exact opposite of the truth. Any teacher will tell you it is the parents themselves who instigate this. Parents today are too busy working to raise their own children, and try every year to push more and more responsibility for raising their children onto the school system.

my parents never taught me table mannors, and i have fine table manors.

"same here, it'll be a sad day should amdmb ever totally dissapear, i don't care too much for these "pc's" or their "perspectives" i just like my amdmb's." - SuBX3r0

Quote Originally Posted by mostholycerebus
    That's the exact opposite of the truth. Any teacher will tell you it is the parents themselves who instigate this. Parents today are too busy working to raise their own children, and try every year to push more and more responsibility for raising their children onto the school system.
    The problem is not with teachers teaching kids certian values or manners, but its that they always put a political spin on it or present a very one-sided story. Why not (a) try to only teach kids basic, universal manners/values (don't kill? put your napkin on your lap before you start eating?) and (b) if something has to be presented that involves controversial topics, argue for both sides and let the kids decide for themselves? Particularly in high school, I often found myself listening to teachers telling me how I should feel about something.

What's sad about the above is the liberal agenda teachers follow - that they should teach our children their values, believing they can do it better than parents.
    Liberal agenda?
    It's All About Having Fun ..... Isn't It?

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX8350 Black Edition | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO | Corsair XMS3 16GB DDR3
    XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB DDR5 | Acer G246HL 24" WideScreen
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB (Storage) | Samsung SH-S224 DVD Burner
    HT|Omega Claro | Technics SL-1210 MKll ~ Stanton 681EEE MKlll
    Esoteric Sounds Rek-O-Kut Professional Phono Preamp MKII
    Klipsch Pro Media v4.1 | Sennheiser HD 580 Precision ~ Sennheiser PC165 (Mic/Headset)
    Lian Li Lancool PC-K7B w/ Enermax NAXN 82+ 750W
    Win7 x64

Not the end of the world, But they sell pictures of it

QFT!!

Parents don't know half of what goes on in their child's life for the most part today.

They don't/can't/won't spend any time with them because they are too wrapped up in their work.

It's not the school's responsibility to teach children basic good behavior.

If the parents don't do it, then maybe they shouldn't have had children to begin with.
    The Heat 99-0-0

Trading Post Rules

Sound Familiar? "If we quit Vietnam," President Lyndon Johnson warned, "tomorrow we'll be fighting in Hawaii, and next week we'll have to fight in San Francisco."

The majority of adults in this country can't eat spaghetti without cutting it up. Perhaps we should bring in some French people to teach us etiquette. It's pretty pathetic that the #1 selling wine in this country is a pink zinfandel.

True. Children do not follow etiquette, not when the PARENTS don't teach it!
    That the teachers have a different agenda (in this respect) is another mater here. AND, it's not that they can teach manners better, BUT that they need to at all! As far as "it takes a village".....that's hogwash! It taker's two loving parents! (hopefully, 1 man, 1 woman!)

Quote Originally Posted by myv65
    FWIW, I think the "it takes a village" is a load of crap. What it takes is parents who care enough to put doing it right ahead of career/money/etc. In the absence of this, most seem to welcome the "it takes a village" approach, and demand the schools pick up the slack.
    NUFF SAID! Too bad that soo many parents put the onus on the teachers/school system instead of taking the responsibility themselves!

Only too true (sadly)!

Quote Originally Posted by pimp my ride
    my parents never taught me table mannors, and i have fine table manors.
    That's what you say...I've not seen them so I can't verify! (just joking here.)

Quote Originally Posted by nytmare
    The problem is not with teachers teaching kids certian values or manners, but its that they always put a political spin on it or present a very one-sided story. Why not (a) try to only teach kids basic, universal manners/values (don't kill? put your napkin on your lap before you start eating?) and (b) if something has to be presented that involves controversial topics, argue for both sides and let the kids decide for themselves? Particularly in high school, I often found myself listening to teachers telling me how I should feel about something.
    I think this is also true. the teachers are there to teach , not instill a personal spin. Let the child form their own opinion!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IAmGhostDog
    Liberal agenda?
    YEP! I beleive 90% of our teachers/instructors/professors, are Liberal. And are BIASED in the teaching of our children. They try to instill their own political spin, all the while telling the students to "think for yourself".....(yeah, right!)

Quote Originally Posted by Soundforbjt
    QFT!!

Parents don't know half of what goes on in their child's life for the most part today.

They don't/can't/won't spend any time with them because they are too wrapped up in their work.

It's not the school's responsibility to teach children basic good behavior.

If the parents don't do it, then maybe they shouldn't have had children to begin with.
    YOU COULD NOT BE MORE RIGHT!
    There are none so blind as those who will not see!

Quote Originally Posted by nytmare
    The problem is not with teachers teaching kids certian values or manners, but its that they always put a political spin on it or present a very one-sided story. Why not (a) try to only teach kids basic, universal manners/values (don't kill? put your napkin on your lap before you start eating?) and (b) if something has to be presented that involves controversial topics, argue for both sides and let the kids decide for themselves?
    Because: a) it's not their job. and b) it's not their job. Children chould graduate from school with a solid foundation in language, writing, literature, math, science, and history. Everything else, particularlly values, is the parents domain.

California wines are generally considered nearly as good as the finest wines of old europe. Many contend that, like forged katana, experts persist in rating US domestic creations lower based merely on their origins. A slowly growing minority believe that California wines may be better than europes best, and that the next decade will see Cali become the clear choice for the finest wines in the world. This is where 'pink' Zinfandel originates, and has become popular because of it's unusual fruity taste. The Zinfandel grape is genetically identical to Italian grapes, and the wine regularly wins awards at professional wine tastings.

I never said anything that would dispute any of your contentions about Californian wines. Perhaps you skimmed over the PINK part of my Zin statement. California wines would be even better if the bible thumpers, who don't drink wine, hadn't forced their beliefs upon the rest of the country. Much like many people today, they only felt that it was the land of the free if you acted exactly like they did.

Trekrider,

It takes two parents? Funny, I didn't realize that every single parent or child or more then 2 parents raised in this country ended up doing nothing with their lives. Gee, I wonder if I could find any examples to your statement. Teacher are liberal? In relation to what or whom? Are there liberal dining manners? I didn't realize that there was some left wing conspiracy to have kids either with their mouthes clothes and with elbows off of the table. No doubt, they are will show them the liberal way of using a fork and knife or how you work from the outside in when it comes to cutlery.

Perhaps everyone here who has a problem with the effort at this school might want to re-read the article. It is an afterschool activity. Something optional that parents are signing their children up for. Parents could no doubt teach baseball, football, debating, etc, as an afterschool activity but they are likely working. Getting kids involved in an activity that will make it fun for them to know how to say eat properly when they go for a job interview later in life shouldn't really be looked at with such outrage by people on here. I'm surprised some of you let your kids leave the house.