Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Problem [revisit] regarding DFI

this was brought up in the thread about the represented status of the DFI forum.

i understand that Ryan's position was clear regarding the DFI reps moderating the forum, but maybe you could create a subforum that could be moderated by them in order to maintain an orderly tech-support environment. i personally feel that one on one support with people you know is vital, and is unfortunately becoming even more scarce in these days of outsourcing. i feel that the loss of those DFI reps severely detracts from the DFI forum.

i dont believe i am alone when i say that this would be a reasonable solution. i trust AG and RGone to be responsible when it comes to moderating the forums, and that people will understand that they need to take their rants to the regular forum where they will still be able to find answers to their problems, but in a less formal setting.

maybe the second forum is superfluous, but i believe it could be a valuable tool for those people looking for hard solutions rather then having to filter through "DFI sucks" threads

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Re: regarding DFI

thank you for your suggestion.

giving tech reps moderator priviledges has the potential to create favoritism and bias. im not saying this situation would happen...or that reps would be biased or what have you...but the potential for it exists...which in turn would compromise the views and ideals PC Perspective holds as being an unbiased site.

This idea is being considered...but the chances of it actually happening are slim at best. This may not be the answer you are looking for...and im sorry...but im being up front here.
    hmm...

Re: [being considered]regarding DFI

Don't have any special knowledge here beyond what anyone else has, but the DFI case seems moot.

We all seem to be clear on the conflict of interest with reps modding, but I thought that the subforum idea was interesting. A creative way to organize/highlight posts that are really for a rep to answer. Might help make reps more effective when they are here.

We all seem to be clear on the conflict of interest with reps modding, but I thought that the subforum idea was interesting.
    They don't have the right reps to even consider this an option IMO. It's fine just like it is, that way the community isn't beholding, and besdies the member's have picked up the slack as always, give the members a chance before even considering this.

just following on SP suggestion of a subforum.

Maybe all the Good threads that can instead of being stickied... go there.
    The threads can be edited and locked and be some sort of a database for common stuff happening.

BUt I disagree with having a subforum just for reps and another forum for ranting/raving.
    Cheers.

i do agree that having corporate reps as moderators might not be the greatest idea, but i think that if the bias began to develop the control of the site is such that people would notice and report it back to you guys in order to either a) tell the reps to knock it off or b) revoke privilages or expel them.

it might not be the best idea, but i thought it had some merit and if you decide against it, hey its your forum and its not that big of a deal right? i love this place so im coming back anyway
    Last edited by Activate: AMD; 05-27-2004 at 11:29 PM.

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Having reps as mods does open the gates for speculation and accusations of the site being biased, regardless of whether the site or the rep is biased or not. By not allowing them to be mods, it eliminates at least one avenue for such claims of bias.

I agree that something needs to be done about rants, but in some cases these rants also have their place in the respective motherboard forum. This also relates to the "bias" issue. If you keep removing the "bad" threads, then how can people see both sides of the story? How can you argue that the site is NOT biased if a mod in one forum room is more vigilant in dealing with rant threads than a mod in another forum room?

Subforums are a good idea, but it's still got its setbacks. The major downfall is that those forum then become more cumbersome to navigate, find information and also manage.

Perhaps we need something like the main forum index, where you can open and close the sections that interest you the most - at the click of a button. You choose which section your thread should go into when you first start it.

It may not be something that VB3 can accommodate, but I think it would be better than a subforum. If you wanted to see all of the posts, you could. If you didn't want to see the rants, you could close the second section.

JMO.
    Last edited by Mjölnir; 05-28-2004 at 12:52 AM.

one must look past what people might think

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

Quote Originally Posted by _dangtx_

Maybe so...but not everyone DOES look past what people might think. Even if no member here in general or DFI owner specfically would think ill or assume bias on the part of moderator reps, www.pcper.com/amdmb.com still has to look at their image...and having mobo reps with moderator status would cause too many in this sort of community (by community I mean all the computer related boards and pages) to wonder if we have a bias.

I don't frequent the DFI forum, since I don't own a DFI product so I don't know any specifics about the rants. But as long as the rants don't turn into flames of individual AMDMB/PCPER members for liking DFI, and as long as the rants have a legit complaint behind them, IMO they should be there. Or to put it another way, it is a legit experience with the board, and no matter how wonderful a board or manufacturer might be, someone will have a bad experience, and sometimes they will relate it with a rant.

I'll ask this, Newegg is generally a wonderful store. But once in a while someone will post a flame or rant about them, since they are not perfect and do screw up, just like any store. Should that rant or flame, as long as it doesn't insult anyone for still liking Newegg, and has a basis in fact be removed? Or since it is a real experience, albeit one posted in the form of a rant or flame of Newegg, be allowed? I say allow it.

NOW, if the same guy keeps on posting "NEWEGG SUX MI ROX" or some such time and time again after his rant, yes that should be locked or yanked, maybe even the guy banned for continuing to do that, he got his point across in his first post, he can drop it now. And that should be moderated out. Likewise, if some guy posts "DFI LANPARTYS BITE" because they have a bad board, especially if they keep at it after posting an initial rant, then yeah his stuff should be locked at the least. But there's already moderators for that in the mobo sections, right? A rep doesn't need moderator power, he needs to do his or her job as a rep, and get info to and from DFI. Even ignoring the bias issue, that's all a rep should be concerned about, info from and to the factory/manufacturer he/she represents.

Or to put it another way, a motherboard rep IMO should sift through the rant, look for the usuable info in it if any, and then relay that to the people/factory he represents.

My thoughts. Maybe I've said what already has been said, but just wanted to comment.

Me

I disagree with that. I'll explain why:

Typically a site such as PCP/AMDMB thrives on popularity and credibility across a broad spectrum of the IT community and people that are associated with computers in some way. Practically everybody.

If you consider what people "might" think, you can take steps towards action that could prevent opinions contrary to the objectives of the site. Take "bias" as an example.

If a subsection of the target audience perceives a site to be biased, that site loses credibility and popularity among a part of its audience (me included). Depending on the influence that subsection has on the rest of the target audience, the effect can be detrimental.

Say a well-respected media group perceive a site to be biased. They have a large audience themselves. The media group have widespread exposure and respect among computer users. Their audience reads their comments and "justification" about the subject site being biased - is that going to influence their own audience's opinion on the credibility of the subject site? In general: "Yes". Does it matter if they are right or wrong? "No". If they command enough respect, their word will be taken for gospel by at least part of their own audience, who then may take it upon themselves to expose the subject site for what they now believe it to be.

By considering what people "might" think, you can take pre-emptive measures against this.

It would be nice if we could look past what people "might" think, but in reality the general population is impressionable in some way and contains a massive proportion of anyone's target audience. For the sake of maximising and maintaining popularity and credibility, you need to consider the potential opinions of the general population.
    Last edited by Mjölnir; 05-28-2004 at 12:53 AM.

Re: [being considered] regarding DFI

I must agree that allowing company reps to mod a forum is not a good idea. PCP was founded on freedom of speech. An inargueably unbiased position is the most logical way to maintain that. Allowing moderators or company reps to have control/manipulation of forum content is quite contrary to that as well as PCP's history and goals.

you guys are scared to become like tom's ..i understand that

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

you guys are scared to become like tom's ..i understand that
    Well, I'd assume they have too much SENSE to become like Tom's.

Let me pick just a few statements from the DFI rep on why this isn't good in this case:
    Clean this forum up. With that said, i will once again call for this thread to be locked, unstickied,

sell/return your motherboard and buy something else

We do not get paid to listen to your opinions of how crappy you think we or our company is

So here is your final word on this. Police yourselves and clean this place up and use it strictly for what it was intended for, or we (the DFI reps) will vacate it and you will be on your own.

Mods and admins here are not going to police you like you need to be policed. I cannot police you here.

I can choose to move on to a place where I can police you and the content you post.
    It's the last statement that puts the nail in the coffin as far as I am concerned, so I still think it shouldn't be considered, they already give us a clue as to how they will handle themselves and there is no reason to believe they will act any different.

for now...a subforum for reps is not a pheasable idea. it could have the potential to detract from the main forum. things, for the most part, seem to be handled well. we will leave things as they are for now and revisit this idea at a later time.

thanks for your suggestion and everyones participation
    hmm...