Resolved [Resolved] Purging Windows Media Player

Is there a way to delete Windows Media Players library? So i can start again..

Re: Purging Windows Media Player

Quote Originally Posted by Mjollnir

Ive tried this and it doesn't work :/ Thank Anyway...

Odd. I tried to make one myself and then delete it. No such file existed. I only used one file to make it easy to search. There's nothing in the Registry for it, and I couldn't find a file on my HDD that contained info on that file.

I'll google some more and see if I can find something that works...

The Library Data base is going to be in

C:\Document and settings\UserName\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player.

There should be two files.

CurrentDatabase_59R and wmpfolders .

"CurrentDatabase_59R" is the file that contains the Library information. Delete it and Window will create a new one once you open the Media player again. Though the library will just have the folders with no music added until you scan for media again.

Quote Originally Posted by themortarman
    The Library Data base is going to be in

C:\Document and settings\UserName\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player.

There should be two files.

CurrentDatabase_59R and wmpfolders .

"CurrentDatabase_59R" is the file that contains the Library information. Delete it and Window will create a new one once you open the Media player again. Though the library will just have the folders with no music added until you scan for media again.
    Thanks for that themortarman

For some reason my system did this a completely different way. I only had a wmplibrary*.db file pop up in c:\documents and settings\all users\application data\microsoft\media index\ - nothing else anywhere else under c:\documents and settings\.. (no CurrentDatabase_59R or wmpfolders).

As explained in the Tweak3D guide, when I removed the wmplibrary...db file, it cleared my library.

I wonder why it behaves differently. I had seen Google reports of listing under an MRU cache for Media Player in the registry too, but assumed that was for older versions of MP.
    Last edited by Mjölnir; 05-31-2004 at 07:32 PM.

I tried the trick from "Tweak3D guide" and nothing happened for me.

TMM, I see you are using WinXP. Same here, though I am on SP1 (not 1a), but that shouldn't make a difference.

I hope your fix helps TheSource...

Yes, I am more confused . When I highlight the Files I mentioned it tells me that they are "Windows Media Library". When I look in "Folder Options"> File types. The Media Library file extension is ".wmdb". If I do a search of this extension the files I mentioned are the first to come up. Now I am really curious.

Fixed. Thank You.

Great! I assume it was themortarman's advice that got you there? It's interesting how different versions of WinXP Pro could behave in different ways - like this.

Marking Resolved.