Thread: / -vs- User?

/ -vs- User?

Ok, so I get a choice of logging in between Root and my user account.

What is the difference? Why not just login to Root all the time and run all my apps from the root account?

I notice that when I run all my updates as a user, then for some reason have to jump back as Root, my root account is all out of date?

Should I run updates on the root and user account ( kind of redundant) or just leave root alone and worry about my only user account.

Just confused.
    ./

Re: / -vs- User?

Quote Originally Posted by carlwill
    Ok, so I get a choice of logging in between Root and my user account.

What is the difference? Why not just login to Root all the time and run all my apps from the root account?

I notice that when I run all my updates as a user, then for some reason have to jump back as Root, my root account is all out of date?

Should I run updates on the root and user account ( kind of redundant) or just leave root alone and worry about my only user account.

Just confused.
    I don't know anything about the updates of which you speak since that sounds like a distro-specific thing. But you should certainly not login as root for everday purposes. This creates a security hole the size of Texas. One of the biggest reasons that viruses don't have the affect on linux the way they do on windows is because of the separation of the super user account. If you somehow run malicious code as a normal use the only things it can affect are files in /home (or maybe /tmp), on the other hand if it gets run as root the entire computer is forfeit. You can very easily delete something you don't want to on accident while logged in as root (I zapped my startup scripts once on accident like this). If a hacker uses an exploit in a program you are running, just for an example lets say Mozilla, then he can only do things as though he were the user under which the program is running. So if you run Mozilla as root and a hacker uses an exploit in Mozilla to run code, then he has access to everything.

Regardless its easy to log into root temporarily for specific purposes, on the commandline you can use "su" or in the gui you can use a tool like gksu to run a specific program as root.
    i code therefore i am

He's how I like to think of it: usually anything that needs to be done via root needs to be purposeful and deliberate. So if you just log in as root, you can change anything your want, because root has permissions for everything. Which can often result in accidents of braking the entire system.

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00,you don't want Linux.'"
    - Bruce Perens, Former Debian Project Leader

The root has absolute power over the Linux system, including the power of total destruction. It takes less than ten keystrokes to wipe out the system completely, and the OS will obey immediately without any "Are you sure?" questions.

right - I am just wondering if I always need to run those system updates on both my root account and my user account?
    ./

No, if you run the updates as root, that is sufficient. If you want to run them as a regular user, there are many ways, but the best way I know, is to bring up a console window, enter super user status (enter su, then password for root), and then type in yum update. This will work for all Redhat, and Fedora releases. I believe it will work for others as well? Help me out here guys, I have pretty much stuck with RH and Fedora.....

Athlon XP 2100
    Asus A7V266-E
    512Mb Crucial PC2100
    IBM 60GB 7200rpm HD
    OEM DVD Burner
    PNY GeForce4 MX 64mb
    Lian Li case
    CentOS 4.4
    (AKA Idahopackersfan2, Woody, Woody1&2)

Yum is different from apt-get, right?
    ./

Quote Originally Posted by carlwill
    Yum is different from apt-get, right?
    Yum is command line, Apt-get is a GUI , which if I am not mistaken, uses YUM? I think that is correct.

Athlon XP 2100
    Asus A7V266-E
    512Mb Crucial PC2100
    IBM 60GB 7200rpm HD
    OEM DVD Burner
    PNY GeForce4 MX 64mb
    Lian Li case
    CentOS 4.4
    (AKA Idahopackersfan2, Woody, Woody1&2)

Quote Originally Posted by Woody1&2
    Yum is command line, Apt-get is a GUI , which if I am not mistaken, uses YUM? I think that is correct.
    apt-get is a command line utility with synaptic as a gtk frontend
    i code therefore i am