View Poll Results: What's everyones favorite x86 Linux distro?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mandrake

6 14.63%
  • Redhat

0 0%
  • Suse

10 24.39%
  • Debian

1 2.44%
  • Knoppix(CD Based)

1 2.44%
  • Fedora

10 24.39%
  • Gentoo

8 19.51%
  • Slackware

3 7.32%
  • TurKix(Mandrake/CD Based)

0 0%
  • Other Distro

2 4.88%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Question What's everyones favorite Linux distro?

What's everyones favorite Linux distro?

Re: What's everyones favorite Linux distro?

I have only tried Fedora so I really don't know if it is my favorite but it is my most frustrating distro
    ./

Quote Originally Posted by carlwill
    I have only tried Fedora so I really don't know if it is my favorite but it is my most frustrating distro
    Nice bike. Yeah I had tried Mandrake and found It wasn't too bad, As It installed right off the CD and ran like a champ, Of course that was 8.2, But still I here 10.0 runs fine on an Nforce2 chipset(I have the CD1 install ISO and CD2 & 3 too, Although CD1 is all that is needed for an install really), But this is from one user only of course.

I voted for Fedora because I think with Redhats knowledge & money, and the cutting edge of the open source community it has a lot of potential, and so far it's been great for my Linux workstation. Though I really don't have a favorite per se, each distro has its general target audience. If I were building a server I'd use either Redhat or Debian, if it were a general Linux workstation either Redhat, Fedora or Suse for a easy & simple transition from Windows it would be Mandrake or Knoppix, for hardcore UN*X-like correctess Slackware of course, and if I were insane and enjoyed wasting time compiling everything this day in age, then Gentoo.

I've only used Suse and Knoppix.Suse was a easy transition from Win.I'm pretty much Linux only these days.My vote went to Suse.

One more for SuSE. Though Mandrake is really nice and Gentoo aint bad either, just takes for bloody ever to install things Never could stand Redhat.

I dont like any of the RPM distros (SuSe, RH (when it existed), Fedora, Mandrake, etc). My main distro is Gentoo (I just finished installing it on my laptop actually....its running like a champ with no errors...and EVERYTHING except PCMCIA (including my centrino wireless!) is working perfectly.

Slackware is my FAVORITE though. I only used RPM stuff for about two weeks before going all Slack...I love the distro and feel very at home on it. I have Gentoo and Slack both installed on my desktop and I couldnt ever live without either of them.
    Finding the clitoris? Is that like finding Jesus?

I'm a gentoo person. I love portage. I hate configuring things via a gui interface. I just like Gentoo handles everything, rc-update especially. I don't think its a distro for power users, I think its a distro that turns you into a power user. You get a better feeling of how a linux system works and the community behind it is great.

The BEST distro however, is Knoppix. Far and away it has the most compatibility, and it installs to the HDD beatifully.

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00,you don't want Linux.'"
    - Bruce Perens, Former Debian Project Leader

So you like Debian-Sid?

Actually I love Knoppix 3.4 as well
    Finding the clitoris? Is that like finding Jesus?

Got to go with SuSE, But,, how can i learn linux if it keeps going in so easy?

Does your O.S. Welcome you with,
    Have a Whole lot of fun?
    Welcome, have a lot of fun

I like Arch Linux its i686 based so its fast, has an automagical-download pm system (Like Debian, but more up to date and like Gentoo, but i686 binary based rather than waiting 3 days for Gnome to compile), and even has an easy build system to make new packages from source if it isn't in the binary repository. Its sweet
    i code therefore i am

Debian all the way

Dont think there is anything that beats debians package management.
    FreeBSD is nice too, and got a nice package management with ports.

I have to say Fedora but Gentoo is a close second...

I have been playing with Knoppix and I am liking it for the Knoppix STD distro..

http://www.knoppix-std.org/
    WWW/FORUM: IRON Phoenix Headquarters
    GAMING: War Hammer On-Line, Star Trek Online, Call Of Duty 4, IL2:Aces, and NWN 2
    Main Rig:
    Gateway M685 w/C2D T7200 - Geforce 7900 GS - 18" 1080p (Laptop)

Other Rigs:
    Chaintech VNF3-250, w/AMD64 3400+
    ASRock K8Upgrade-NF3 w/AMD64 3200+ (HTPC)
    Chaintech 7NLI1 w/Barton 2500+ (sons PC)
    Gigabyte GA-7VKMP-P w/Athlon 1.4G (Backup system)
    HP MediaSmart EX495 (Home Server)

I've tried Lindows 4.5, Mandrake 9, Turbo Linux 10, Knoppix, Fedora Core 1, Suse 8.2, 9.0 Pro and 9.1 Pro. Had my best luck with SuSE 9.0 untill I got 9.1. My Barton box is now SuSE 9.1 Pro and my backup is Win XP for my flight sims and Visioneer PaperPort. Had to vote for SuSE
    FRH
    If more sane people were armed the crazy ones would get off fewer shots.

Win 7 Premium SP1 / MX 15 KDE / MEPIS 11

fedora is my pick, but gentoo is fast becoming my new favorite.

fedora is the best distro to start with. gentoo is amazing when you get more advanced in linux.

the only real issue i have with fedora is the lack of intergrated media players and lib's.
    • DFI Lanparty Ultra-D
      *amd 64 3200 Venice *thermaltake purepower 560 *A-Data DDR400 Vitesta (2)512mb*wd 160gig sata2 *EVGA 7800gt oc *lg GSA-4040B dvdr (firm v. A301)*thermalrig w/90mm 3k rpm fan*netgear ga302t (nic) *viewsonic vp171b *winXP pro os skp4
    • DFI Ultra Infinity
      *amd barton 2600(locked) *DD maze3 /Zchipset /DD gpu waterblocks *eheim 1250 1/2in tubing *thermaltake 480 purepower *mushkin perf level 2 3500 (1)512mb *wd se (2x)80mb *ati 9700pro allin1 *lite-on 52x cdr / toshiba dvd rom sd-m1612 *netgear ga302t (nic) *viewsonic p225fb *w2k pro os skp4