View Poll Results: What's everyones favorite x86 Linux distro?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mandrake

6 14.63%
  • Redhat

0 0%
  • Suse

10 24.39%
  • Debian

1 2.44%
  • Knoppix(CD Based)

1 2.44%
  • Fedora

10 24.39%
  • Gentoo

8 19.51%
  • Slackware

3 7.32%
  • TurKix(Mandrake/CD Based)

0 0%
  • Other Distro

2 4.88%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: What's everyones favorite Linux distro?

i chose gentoo. i couldn't ever get an RPM to work. ever. not one. so i gave up RPM, and dependecy issues compiling from source manually got old fast.

haven't tried debian yet, looks nice though. and freeBSD 5 was just too slow (supposedly becuase they are messing with some things still until 5.3 comes out).
    I know exactly how the PC works. I understand the OOO, superscalar and superpiplined designs. I just don't understand how the PC doesn't work as shown in so many cases.

Quote Originally Posted by thechris
    i chose gentoo. i couldn't ever get an RPM to work. ever. not one. so i gave up RPM, and dependecy issues compiling from source manually got old fast.

haven't tried debian yet, looks nice though. and freeBSD 5 was just too slow (supposedly becuase they are messing with some things still until 5.3 comes out).
    Give Arch a try
    i code therefore i am

Another Arch Linux user right here . Having used Gentoo, Debian, Fedora, Mandrake and others. I think Arch is the best I have tried, it felt good to switch to it form Gentoo after getting tired with all the long compiles.
    AMD AtLhOn 64 3000+@2250MHZ
    Soltek SL-K8TPRO-939(VIA K8T800Pro)
    APACER 512MB PC2700
    MSI G4Ti4200-TD64@301/601
    BENQ DW16200 DVD+/-(DL)RW
    DvD LiTeOn LTD-163
    SoUnD BlAsTeR AuDiGy
    MaXtOr DM+9 160GB 7200RPM
    MaXtOr DM+10 160GB 7200RPM

I'm a 3 week old Arch user and I've never been happier and unless Arch dies, I'm not leaving it...

You can set your system up exactly like you want to and without the hassle of gentoo compile times...

Has a great utility called Pacman for package management.... CLI only but its still EXCELLENT...

has another great utility called hwd that analyzes your hardware only if you ask it too....

Fast, great user community, i usually dl packages at 200-300K/s from the main server.
    barton 3000+, 8rda, 512 2700 samsung, evga6800GT, GTXP and delta66, 80gb wdse
    Arch Linux Homepage

Well, I'm new to Linux and haven't yet totally chosen my distro. I've got the Fedora install ISOs on my box and am waiting for compatability with my K8V SE mobo. Is Fedora the best distro for me, or is there another build that already supports my board? Like I said, I'm new to Linux and want to learn right now, so I'm purposely avoiding Gentoo, Slack, and other more complicated builds...for now.
    My Rig, Silverbolt:
    Asus K8V SE Deluxe Mobo
    AMD Athlon 64 3000+ CPU
    512MB RAM @ 400MHZ 2-2-2-7 timing
    LG CD-RW/DVD combo drive
    SapphireTech ATI Radeon 9600SE Vid Card
    Soundblaster Live! Value

AND IT LOVES LINUX!

Well I'm back up with Mandrake 10, bought a small pack of distros from Iotaline for 8.99 (now 13.99) including

mandrake 10
    fedora core 2
    gentoo
    slackware 9

Have not tried the others yet but as I have used mandrake 9, thought I would go with this first. Got past the boot installer problem, had to take out my highpoint IDE card 370A, never had this problem with my KG7 raid/IDE ports with the same chipset. Now I cannot find my external modem. Oh well, it has only been on for a day.

There's no way to get my hands on Mandrake or SuSe 64-bit for free is there? My problem is I want a solid 64-bit-compatible Linux build that'll handle my board...but I have no money left.
    My Rig, Silverbolt:
    Asus K8V SE Deluxe Mobo
    AMD Athlon 64 3000+ CPU
    LG CD-RW/DVD combo drive
    Soundblaster Live! Value

AND IT LOVES LINUX!

Quote Originally Posted by Aron Figaro
    There's no way to get my hands on Mandrake or SuSe 64-bit for free is there? My problem is I want a solid 64-bit-compatible Linux build that'll handle my board...but I have no money left.
    Yes, you can get Suse 9.1 64-bit, but if you want it for free you will have to do the FTP install. You'll boot the system from the boot.iso file found in /boot on the FTP servers (ftp://mirror.storagetek.com/pub/syst...86_64/9.1/boot for example) and go from there.

You could probably track down Mandrake as well.
    - JP Money -
    alyson (Hannigan) [XP/Gentoo]
    Athlon 64 3200+ | Shuttle SN85G4 | 1GB PC3200 | BFG 6800 OC | Dell FP1800 18" LCD
    milla (Jovovich) [Gentoo Linux]
    Sony PCG-Z1A
    liz (Phair) [FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE web/mail server]
    Athlon t-bird 1.4 Ghz | Gigabyte 7DXR | 2 GB PC2100 | Adaptec 29160 | 36 GB Seagate Cheetah 10K

Suse.
    Haven't gave Gentoo a try but plan too.
    Main Rig:
    PSU: Antec 550 watt Truepower
    Mobo: LP-B
    CPU: 2400xp 200@11
    HSF: SLK 900(A) Panaflo 92m fan
    MEMORY: 1 stick of Corsairs XMS 512 3200C2PT
    VIDEO: MSI FX 5900xt
    HD: 1 WD 120gigger
    BURNER: Liteon 52x32x52
    CASE: Kingwin 424 series

Quote Originally Posted by Aron Figaro
    Well, I'm new to Linux and haven't yet totally chosen my distro. I've got the Fedora install ISOs on my box and am waiting for compatability with my K8V SE mobo. Is Fedora the best distro for me, or is there another build that already supports my board? Like I said, I'm new to Linux and want to learn right now, so I'm purposely avoiding Gentoo, Slack, and other more complicated builds...for now.
    All the distros use almost the same general kernel to start with, so most should support your harware. I'd suggest using a 2.6 kernel though.
    Finding the clitoris? Is that like finding Jesus?

Yeah, I know that one, but I didn't know about the driver issues and all. I'm still getting used to this whole thing. Thanks Ed.
    My Rig, Silverbolt:
    Asus K8V SE Deluxe Mobo
    AMD Athlon 64 3000+ CPU
    LG CD-RW/DVD combo drive
    Soundblaster Live! Value

AND IT LOVES LINUX!

wow - SUSE and Fedora Core are tied for #1...

I always thought of SUSE as a buisness type of OS - maybe that was just my pre-misconception...
    ./

Suse before 9.1 was the better distribution between (Mandrake and Redhat).
    Since Novell came a board (9.1 release) has proven to be one or the worse releases in a very long time for Suse. 9.1 is super buggy, burning software (kb3) doesn't work out of the box, sound issues and etc. Overall, very basic and simple issues that Suse shouldn't be having, happen with 9.1.

See how 9.2 turns out, if anyway like 9.1 I'll be dropping Suse.
    My needs for multimedia is to great to have such software not perform like it should. When I spend all day in front of a PC doing tech support. When I get home I want an opensource OS that performs like it should. I do tech support at work, not at home. With 9.1 Suse dropped the ball.

I hear Gentoo has a lengthy commandline driven installation but once past that its a pretty decent distribution. As long as my multimedia needs get met (downloading client to get movies/songs and burn them), I'm game. Just give me such multimedia apps that works like it should each and every time. If Gentoo can do that, then Gentoo gets my vote.
    Main Rig:
    PSU: Antec 550 watt Truepower
    Mobo: LP-B
    CPU: 2400xp 200@11
    HSF: SLK 900(A) Panaflo 92m fan
    MEMORY: 1 stick of Corsairs XMS 512 3200C2PT
    VIDEO: MSI FX 5900xt
    HD: 1 WD 120gigger
    BURNER: Liteon 52x32x52
    CASE: Kingwin 424 series

is it me or do you guys find each distro's icon very unique?

I love the Debian and SUSE logos - then again - I would never pick a distro because I thought their logo was cute
    ./

Thanks for the input, Soap! I guess Suse isn't the way to go then! *looks around for a distro that handles 64-bit processing and isn't that hard to learn in a short period of time on a rough work schedule*
    My Rig, Silverbolt:
    Asus K8V SE Deluxe Mobo
    AMD Athlon 64 3000+ CPU
    LG CD-RW/DVD combo drive
    Soundblaster Live! Value

AND IT LOVES LINUX!