View Poll Results: What's everyones favorite x86 Linux distro?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mandrake

6 14.63%
  • Redhat

0 0%
  • Suse

10 24.39%
  • Debian

1 2.44%
  • Knoppix(CD Based)

1 2.44%
  • Fedora

10 24.39%
  • Gentoo

8 19.51%
  • Slackware

3 7.32%
  • TurKix(Mandrake/CD Based)

0 0%
  • Other Distro

2 4.88%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: What's everyones favorite Linux distro?

Wait a minute don't get ahead of yourself there "Aron".
    I'll most likely end going with Gentoo before long, but thats me.
    Don't confuse my opinions with others or the main popular opinions of the community.
    To each their own. We all find what best serve us and meets our needs.
    I have personally grown very dissatisfied with the direction the big three are taking their linux (Redhat, Mandrake and Suse). Thus, in part explaining one of my reasons for possibly going with Gentoo or some other. There are other users here that have already jumped over and away from the big three, and found for them another distribution. I quess you could say, I'm a late bloomer. Nonetheless, I am looking.

If you can find a copy of Suse 9.0 thats a good version.
    Granted not without its problems, but even so, it is by far Suse's best offering to date.
    Main Rig:
    PSU: Antec 550 watt Truepower
    Mobo: LP-B
    CPU: 2400xp 200@11
    HSF: SLK 900(A) Panaflo 92m fan
    MEMORY: 1 stick of Corsairs XMS 512 3200C2PT
    VIDEO: MSI FX 5900xt
    HD: 1 WD 120gigger
    BURNER: Liteon 52x32x52
    CASE: Kingwin 424 series

Gentoo Linux uses an enhanced BSD ports-style package system. You'll want to consult Gentoo's web site or the forums here before doing an install. This distro isn't designed for ease-of-install or simplicity, but it does allow a great deal of flexibility in both installation and maintenance.

I am not sure what good having BSD port style will do for me

Second - I hear the install is kind of nitty gritty...

But atleast I can feel like a man when someone asks what distro I use and I can say "GENTOO"!!!
    ./

Just read the install guide, if nothing makes sense, don't install it

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00,you don't want Linux.'"
    - Bruce Perens, Former Debian Project Leader

Will Suse 9 support 64-bit CPUs? Ah well, if not I can just use that to learn and then switch over to Gentoo or Slack once I've got the hang of it. I've heard NOTHING but praise for those two builds, and it's not like I won't have the computer skill. Hell, one of these days I may end up coding my OWN distro. I'm just trying to get into it with as little pain as possible right now, because of school.
    My Rig, Silverbolt:
    Asus K8V SE Deluxe Mobo
    AMD Athlon 64 3000+ CPU
    512MB RAM @ 400MHZ 2-2-2-7 timing
    LG CD-RW/DVD combo drive
    SapphireTech ATI Radeon 9600SE Vid Card
    Soundblaster Live! Value

AND IT LOVES LINUX!

or you could use Arch for full customizability with an exper pacakge management tool which is akin to emerge without all the super long compile times...
    barton 3000+, 8rda, 512 2700 samsung, evga6800GT, GTXP and delta66, 80gb wdse
    Arch Linux Homepage

Quote Originally Posted by carlwill
    Gentoo Linux uses an enhanced BSD ports-style package system. You'll want to consult Gentoo's web site or the forums here before doing an install. This distro isn't designed for ease-of-install or simplicity, but it does allow a great deal of flexibility in both installation and maintenance.

I am not sure what good having BSD port style will do for me

Second - I hear the install is kind of nitty gritty...

But atleast I can feel like a man when someone asks what distro I use and I can say "GENTOO"!!!
    Ports is *BSD's online package system...like apt, Yum, and Yast. Gentoo uses a system based on it, called Portage.

The install is only as hard as you make it.
    Finding the clitoris? Is that like finding Jesus?

Quote Originally Posted by jrmillerUT
    or you could use Arch for full customizability with an exper pacakge management tool which is akin to emerge without all the super long compile times...

As long as you're not sitting there compiling GTK, glibc, QT, kdebase, etc etc etc over and over then compile times arent that long on a decent system.
    Finding the clitoris? Is that like finding Jesus?

arch

As soon as I upgrade to a 64bit system then I 'might' consider trying gentoo again... Don't get me wrong... gentoo has its place. But I was one of those unfortunate newbs who got bored with mandrake after like 10 min... who downloaded Gentoo and decided to struggle through it... I just can't stand setting up KDE to compile and then coming back 10 freaking hours later and its not compiled... an hour or two.. maybe three for one of the larger programs.... but I just stopped using it after 10 hours since I heard it could take days to compile...

Too much downtime for too little gain. So I use Arch now... feels much faster than the bigger distros... easy to configure... and as bloated or streamlined as your want it to be...

And to upgrade the distro all i type as root is "Pacman -Syu"

I was thinking about checking out Suse for my roommate who's interested in learning Linux but I don't want him to have to mess with MDK or Fedora... but after hearing 9.1's problems I dunno about that...

I really don't like that you can't download the Suse 9.1 professional discs... I hate all these companies that infringe on the spirit of linux... I wish they would still make it easy as heck to download the software... but ONLY charge for support....

/end rant...
    Arch Linux Homepage

I really don't like that you can't download the Suse 9.1 professional discs... I hate all these companies that infringe on the spirit of linux... I wish they would still make it easy as heck to download the software... but ONLY charge for support....
    Umm, They have changed that a while ago. Novell will happily send 3 dvd's just for asking but if you want to download the ISO's go To Here(click linky thingy)
    Rember the Free support is trial the software is free(as in speech)

So the 30 days is only for support? The OS wont' crap out after 30 days as well?

Forgive me... I haven't been paying attention to the linux market too much as I'm no longer playing around with tech stocks... I had no idea about novell....
    Arch Linux Homepage

Yep.
    Benn that way since they took over. the link is for server, if you want the desktop you got to drill down/.
    If your a seiours user that can recomend it as far as purchase tryhere and they'll have you fill out a short form and send you all 3 dvd's you can regestr for 30 free support if you wish. Yes the software(unlike ms) has NO time limet i belive.

I missed this first time round, but just got my application in

Resolved Re: What's everyones favorite Linux distro?

Well I'm glad Your Application is in, Me I still have not received My new XP Home OS CD(It's not for the Dual cpu rig), But It will in a few days be here, ebay VeRO program or not(ebay at M$'s insistence cancels or tries to cancel any and all M$ OS CD Sales after They are completed, Or at least I think that is what I think is going on at any rate, VeRO tried canceling the OS CD sale, But the Transaction had already been completed by Paypal by then), But then I'm building a Dual Opteron Cruncher, I plopped down close to $1,200.00 for It too(got a small Inheritence recently in the amount of $2,165.00 and Yeah It's mostly spent too, I'm amazed at how fast nearly $2,000.00 can be spent, Wow!), But at least the XP64 iso(1218) is free. About the only part I didn't buy was a 3.5" fdd, But since XP(64) is a CD install as far as I know that is, Then I won't get a fdd, Heck I'm putting My CD-Rom drive that's in one of My 2 PCs into an external USB 2.0 drive case, Just so that I don't have to have a CD drive in every PC. Putting the PCs in the coolest room have paid off, The house is cooler, It now doesn't get above 84F now, So far that is.
    Last edited by JokerCPoC; 08-27-2004 at 09:51 PM.

I hate all these companies that infringe on the spirit of linux...
    Its got that way because they see theres potential money to be made. Must remeber for the most part, thats what of us wanted, to see linux go main stream.
    I admit I still think that way, but I think thers a better path to be chosen, one that doesn't take away from linux's simplicity.

Gentoo, for the lack of a better analogy, is linux best offering available to date.
    Back to Gentoo in a moment.

Suse with its very anticipated 9.1 release (novell coming aboard) was the worst release they have done, imo. All people were asking and still are asking for, is a linux flavor that will work out of the box. Desktop apps, multimedia apps, office apps and etc. Theres is where most distributors have dropped the ball these days. Most don't run successfully straight out of the box. Suse has became a big joke imo.

Now back to Gentoo.
    This is where Gentoo mops the floor with all the other linux distributions/flavors. Yes as of right now, the installation of Gentoo is commandline driven. I must add thats not a bad thing like some may think or lead others to believe. This commandline driven installation actually educates you in the process of installing Gentoo. That can't be all that bad. But to say that Gentoo is entirely commandline aside from the installation is a lie, or just ones preference/choice. Most people haven't either installed Gentoo or bothered to read the installation manual. In other words, most don't know what their talking about. The way the manual is designed, it shows the user step by step using the commandline how to install Gentoo. They (the folks at Gentoo) made it easy for us. We don't have to freak out as to what to do. Thank you.

Once the selected stage is installed(stage 1, 2 or 3) its all down here from there.
    I should say once you reach the point where you can go online, its all down hill from there.
    E-merge is purely priceless. E-merge is brilliant. As just mentioned, once you reach the point during the installation where you can go online, e-merge is golden. No more rpm nightmares, e-merge does it all. For the sake of space, I will not go into this but I encourage anyone who is interested, go to Gentoo site and read the manual that deals with e-merge.

Once your done e-merging your linux desktop of your choice (KDE, Gnome or whatever) isn't any differnet that the other distibutors. Actually Gentoo is the one distribution that will work like its suppose to. Hows this possible? E-merge goes out on the web and gets all the updates, meets all the dependencies while building and compiling itself to successfully run on your desktop. Again e-merge is priceless.
    No, its not like any other distibutors online update feature. E-merge is better. Nuff said.

For those deciding to try Gentoo, don't think to hard about it. I suggest do a stage 3 installation and run e-merge. Its much quicker and easier and this is where the stage 3 installation really shines. It gets you up and going relatively fast and still provides a ready to go, very powerful and fully funtionable linux environment.

You don't have to use the commadnline once your done.
    Your desktop can look and feel like a Suse desktop (KDE) or Mircosoft (XP themes). The choice is yours, its up to you what you want to use as a desktop manager, and what you want your desktop to look like. Don't let people lie to you and lead you to believe that Gentoo is for gurus only. They are so full of BS and so full of themselves they can't see past themsleves, which is sickening.

Gentoo, is linux best offering by far and with the beauty of e-merge, its so far ahead of the other distributions. Its truely a beatiful thing. Don't make the installation any harder. Read and follow the manuals step by step how to and you'll be fine. Its all in the manual.
    Main Rig:
    PSU: Antec 550 watt Truepower
    Mobo: LP-B
    CPU: 2400xp 200@11
    HSF: SLK 900(A) Panaflo 92m fan
    MEMORY: 1 stick of Corsairs XMS 512 3200C2PT
    VIDEO: MSI FX 5900xt
    HD: 1 WD 120gigger
    BURNER: Liteon 52x32x52
    CASE: Kingwin 424 series