View Poll Results: What's everyones favorite x86 Linux distro?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mandrake

6 14.63%
  • Redhat

0 0%
  • Suse

10 24.39%
  • Debian

1 2.44%
  • Knoppix(CD Based)

1 2.44%
  • Fedora

10 24.39%
  • Gentoo

8 19.51%
  • Slackware

3 7.32%
  • TurKix(Mandrake/CD Based)

0 0%
  • Other Distro

2 4.88%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: What's everyones favorite Linux distro?

Quote Originally Posted by Soap
    Its got that way because they see theres potential money to be made. Must remeber for the most part, thats what of us wanted, to see linux go main stream.
    I admit I still think that way, but I think thers a better path to be chosen, one that doesn't take away from linux's simplicity.

Gentoo, for the lack of a better analogy, is linux best offering available to date.
    Back to Gentoo in a moment.

Suse with its very anticipated 9.1 release (novell coming aboard) was the worst release they have done, imo. All people were asking and still are asking for, is a linux flavor that will work out of the box. Desktop apps, multimedia apps, office apps and etc. Theres is where most distributors have dropped the ball these days. Most don't run successfully straight out of the box. Suse has became a big joke imo.

Now back to Gentoo.
    This is where Gentoo mops the floor with all the other linux distributions/flavors. Yes as of right now, the installation of Gentoo is commandline driven. I must add thats not a bad thing like some may think or lead others to believe. This commandline driven installation actually educates you in the process of installing Gentoo. That can't be all that bad. But to say that Gentoo is entirely commandline aside from the installation is a lie, or just ones preference/choice. Most people haven't either installed Gentoo or bothered to read the installation manual. In other words, most don't know what their talking about. The way the manual is designed, it shows the user step by step using the commandline how to install Gentoo. They (the folks at Gentoo) made it easy for us. We don't have to freak out as to what to do. Thank you.

Once the selected stage is installed(stage 1, 2 or 3) its all down here from there.
    I should say once you reach the point where you can go online, its all down hill from there.
    E-merge is purely priceless. E-merge is brilliant. As just mentioned, once you reach the point during the installation where you can go online, e-merge is golden. No more rpm nightmares, e-merge does it all. For the sake of space, I will not go into this but I encourage anyone who is interested, go to Gentoo site and read the manual that deals with e-merge.

Once your done e-merging your linux desktop of your choice (KDE, Gnome or whatever) isn't any differnet that the other distibutors. Actually Gentoo is the one distribution that will work like its suppose to. Hows this possible? E-merge goes out on the web and gets all the updates, meets all the dependencies while building and compiling itself to successfully run on your desktop. Again e-merge is priceless.
    No, its not like any other distibutors online update feature. E-merge is better. Nuff said.

For those deciding to try Gentoo, don't think to hard about it. I suggest do a stage 3 installation and run e-merge. Its much quicker and easier and this is where the stage 3 installation really shines. It gets you up and going relatively fast and still provides a ready to go, very powerful and fully funtionable linux environment.

You don't have to use the commadnline once your done.
    Your desktop can look and feel like a Suse desktop (KDE) or Mircosoft (XP themes). The choice is yours, its up to you what you want to use as a desktop manager, and what you want your desktop to look like. Don't let people lie to you and lead you to believe that Gentoo is for gurus only. They are so full of BS and so full of themselves they can't see past themsleves, which is sickening.

Gentoo, is linux best offering by far and with the beauty of e-merge, its so far ahead of the other distributions. Its truely a beatiful thing. Don't make the installation any harder. Read and follow the manuals step by step how to and you'll be fine. Its all in the manual.
    Well I tried Linux, Sure It was Mandrake and Installation was easy, But the one thing some Linux programmers still don't get I think is the fact that to unpack and/or install 3rd party programs or to run 3rd party programs or even to install updated drivers means fooling around with the CLI, These activities should be able to be clicked on and installed automatically, I have 25 years of cross platform computer knowledge and I still found It Difficult and Tedious, And It should not be so, the Vast majority will see Linux, Install It and then try and install or run 3rd party programs and find out this OS needs serious work still before It's ready to replace XP or whatever and then uninstall or reformat the the hdd and then Install XP of some sort.
    As It is much easier to unpack and/or install 3rd party software and Drivers in Windows (95, 98, 98SE, ME, NT W2K, XP and W2003k) than Linux is at the present moment and until this changes across the distros and is standardized It will always be so.
    Condemming Linux to be a Nerd/Geek owned server OS, Rather than a Desktop/Server OS that can do either with ease and simplicity which could be used by those that aren't quite so gifted, Me included as I have had difficulty with Linux and have been frustrated trying to do this or that, When It should have been easy and a no brainer. Even the Apple OSX which is I think based on FreeBSD is a Better more complete OS than Linux is and Apple likes Polish, Linux doesn't know what polish is yet. To Me Linux says It's between alpha and beta in It's present stage of development and is therefore an immature OS at present.

As It is much easier to unpack and/or install 3rd party software and Drivers in Windows (95, 98, 98SE, ME, NT W2K, XP and W2003k) than Linux is at the present moment and until this changes across the distros and is standardized It will always be so.
    E-merge doesn't have those problems you speak of.
    Type the e-merge command in for the desired software and e-merge takes care of it all.
    Thats the main problem with rpms or tarballs, dependency nightmare and they really don't work like they should or suppose to. A hellish nightmare looking for this and that file to meet the dependency, or throw in the disk to get the file, its insane. I left the tarball and rpm thing behind when switched to Gentoo. Again as before, e-merge is golden.
    Gentoo has raised the bar, set a new standard, gentoo doesn't have these problems you speak of.
    Last edited by Soap; 08-28-2004 at 10:41 AM.
    Main Rig:
    PSU: Antec 550 watt Truepower
    Mobo: LP-B
    CPU: 2400xp 200@11
    HSF: SLK 900(A) Panaflo 92m fan
    MEMORY: 1 stick of Corsairs XMS 512 3200C2PT
    VIDEO: MSI FX 5900xt
    HD: 1 WD 120gigger
    BURNER: Liteon 52x32x52
    CASE: Kingwin 424 series

Quote Originally Posted by zoom314
    Well I tried Linux, Sure It was Mandrake and Installation was easy, But the one thing some Linux programmers still don't get I think is the fact that to unpack and/or install 3rd party programs or to run 3rd party programs or even to install updated drivers means fooling around with the CLI, These activities should be able to be clicked on and installed automatically, I have 25 years of cross platform computer knowledge and I still found It Difficult and Tedious, And It should not be so, the Vast majority will see Linux, Install It and then try and install or run 3rd party programs and find out this OS needs serious work still before It's ready to replace XP or whatever and then uninstall or reformat the the hdd and then Install XP of some sort.
    Condemming Linux to be a Nerd/Geek owned server OS, Rather than a Desktop/Server OS that can do either with ease and simplicity which could be used by those that aren't quite so gifted, Me included as I have had difficulty with Linux and have been frustrated trying to do this or that, When It should have been easy and a no brainer. Even the Apple OSX which is I think based on FreeBSD is a Better more complete OS than Linux is and Apple likes Polish, Linux doesn't know what polish is yet. To Me Linux says It's between alpha and beta in It's present stage of development and is therefore an immature OS at present.

Well said... Pretty much sums up my thoughts /feelings. I've been tinkering w/ Linux for going on a month & 1/2 & have had a few troubles/ quirks, but have been able to solve most problems w/ forums such as this. That being said, I am fairly advanced insofar as computer know-how/ knowledge (the one who friends and acquaint's come to when they hose their Windows install w/ virus(s) / spyware). I love the security of Linux & the ability to surf the web free of worries about pests hosing my system. Believe me I have my Windows boxes locked down like Fort Know---running Spyware Blaster, SpySweeper, Spybot, AdAdware, Zonealarm, Norton'sAV, Enough is Enough, IE Spyad & the kazaalite hosts supertrick. Plus, personally, I always use Firefox, tho my wife & kids want IE6 b/c FF is not compatiable w/ certain websites. I often do system builds for ppl. I know & would love to be able to install a basic, stable linux package like Yoper, but that would mean I would have to admin it forever. Most of those I know can't differeniate b/w ram and hard drive (memory v. storage) & installing software (or uninstalling) is a challenge. A tarball or even an rpm install on Linux would be the same as asking them to tackle a graduate level question in nuclear physics. Not to mention, dealing w/ config files, permissions & so on. I recently installed Suse 9.1 Pro & played w/ it abit & it's the closest to Windoze insofar as ease of setup. The install was a nobrainer, but the Yast gui would be confusing for those w/out computer knowledge, w/ many packages nested w/in categories & subcategories (i.e., hardware, patches, software, etc). Plus java would not work out of the box (I always go to my wife's game site, Pogo, to test out java). For me Linux is great & I can browse the web w/ little or no worries about my install being hosed, but I know my way 'round a computer...read I roll my own, lap my heatsinks, overclock, volt mod, watercool, etc, etc. Linux will make little to no progress in the home desktop market until it can offer the click and run ease of Windows, IMO. The average user that I deal w/ has no intersest in learning the ins & outs of an os...they simply want to turn it on & have it work. And should they want say Yahoo messenger...they wish to click on an install button on a website & have it installed for them (which is the way most of 'em get in trouble sooner or later---i.e., Do you wish to install Gator / Gain???) If anyone can come out w/ a "polished" distro that's stable & offers Windows-like ease of installs of packages then I would actually offer it to a client @ the above mentioned level of expertise. Otherwise, it has to be Windows & to be perfectly honest, I know beforehand that's what they're gonna ask for. The downside is I know I'll be troubleshooting hosed installs or even having to redo Windows from the ground up, but, hey, we all havta make a living....and I must admit Redmond's lack of cpncern about security puts money in my pocket.
    Linux Switch Parody

ep0x 8rda+ 2400 Mobile Barton
    @ 220X12 =2640 @ 1.95V
    2 Room W3@p0n Watercooling
    Dangerden Maze 2-2
    Powercolor 9800SE->9800Pro (435/388)
    512mb Winbond Bh5
    2 X Maxtor DP9's in RAID 0
    Lite On 52X CDRW PioneerX DVD
    Fortron 530W psu Nexus FanBus

Quote Originally Posted by Soap
    E-merge doesn't have those problems you speak of.
    Type the e-merge command in for the desired software and e-merge takes care of it all.
    Thats the main problem with rpms or tarballs, dependency nightmare and they really don't work like they should or suppose to. A hellish nightmare looking for this and that file to meet the dependency, or throw in the disk to get the file, its insane. I left the tarball and rpm thing behind when switched to Gentoo. Again as before, e-merge is golden.
    Gentoo has raised the bar, set a new standard, gentoo doesn't have these problems you speak of.
    That sounds like more Typing, Thanks, But No Thanks, But what I was looking for was No Typing, Just point and click installation/unpacking of 3rd party programs, drivers and of running those programs. Just to try and run Firefox You had to click on a text file and that did not always work. Why do You think exe files in windows were created? It's cause they can be executed by clicking on them or yes by merely typing It in. But in any case Linux will never be a Major player or threat to Apple, Let alone Windows, Windows rules, Linux drools in a straight jacket of It's own inability.

Whilst you do make some very valid points about the state of linux as a desktop OS, I think you're missing the point zoom. Linux is many different things to many different people. Linux never set out to be or has any desire to compete directly with Windows. It is you (and others I'm sure) who is making the comparisons. Some may want linux to be a desktop OS and competitor to windows, others (like programmers) want it to be a great development platform, and others may want it to be a scalable and secure server OS. The point is linux can do all these things (and more), and do most of them very well.

If you prefer windows, that's great. One of linux's greatest strengths is freedom of choice and you're free to choose whatever OS you like.

Ned
    Last edited by Ned Slider; 08-28-2004 at 03:34 PM.

You make a very valid point & I never said that I preferred Windows (I know u were prolly talking to zoom314. Personally, I spend 90% of my time in Linux now. It's a lot safer to actually enjoy the net & not havta worry about the latest trojan or spyware exploit. However, Linux does have designs on the desktop/ home user market---e.g., Linspire. My point is that it's gonna havta get a h311uva lot easier before that happens.
    Linux Switch Parody

ep0x 8rda+ 2400 Mobile Barton
    @ 220X12 =2640 @ 1.95V
    2 Room W3@p0n Watercooling
    Dangerden Maze 2-2
    Powercolor 9800SE->9800Pro (435/388)
    512mb Winbond Bh5
    2 X Maxtor DP9's in RAID 0
    Lite On 52X CDRW PioneerX DVD
    Fortron 530W psu Nexus FanBus

I agree with what you're saying arDAWG, we would all like to see linux easier to use on the desktop but until recently it hasn't really been a priority for most developers. (yes, my comments were directed in reply to zoom's post).

However, I also come across plenty of windows users in the workplace who are incapable of installing a simple app or driver. Some of them are barely capable of writing a letter and saving or printing it in word, or managing their e-mail. Ask them to back up their own files and you'd have a riot on your hands! In such a setting you have IT professionals to set up and maintain their computers and at that point a modern linux desktop is no harder to use that a modern windows desktop.

In fact, I'd go so far as to bet a lot of users wouldn't even know they're not running windows. I can't remember how many times I've asked someone what version of windows they're running and got a blank response or something like "erh, yes, windows, I think I have that".

Ned
    Last edited by Ned Slider; 08-28-2004 at 08:21 PM.

In fact, I'd go so far as to bet a lot of users wouldn't even know they're not running windows. I can't remember how many times I've asked someone what version of windows they're running and got a blank response or something like "erh, yes, windows, I think I have that".
    Being a techy, I experience this on a weekly if not daily basis.
    So true indeed.

(Zoom) Linux from day one, even back when Trovalds created it, never was intended to do exe. files. Tarballs were the main way of installing apps/programs. Then out of user frustration, came the rpm. The rpm was somewhat better in sense the the user didn't have to TYPE, just click on the rpm file and it was suppose to install itself. Over time this has proven not neccessarily true and user frustration is currently at all time high regarding rpm files. Gentoo (e-merge) does what the rpm couldn't and was suppose to do, find all dependencies correct them to allow newly updated or installed app to run successfully without errors.

As I said previously, but to say it alittle differently, Gentoo and their e-merge feature, is a very rewarding and satisfying progressive step in the evolution process of a linux distribution. Imo, because of its incredible flexiblity it has and offers the user, along with its e-merge feature. Gentoo is heads and shoulders above the other distributors.
    I do believe in part you have very valid concerns regarding a desktop environment. I also believe you have made a choice with a distributor (mandrake) that has caused in part some of your frustrations. Gentoo, once past the installation, won't do that to you because your not dealing with rpms, linux version of a windows exe. file.

I have ran all of the big three distributions (Redhat, Mandrake and Suse).
    From experience every time I will recommend and suggest all newbies, intermediate or advance users alike, go with gentoo.
    Main Rig:
    PSU: Antec 550 watt Truepower
    Mobo: LP-B
    CPU: 2400xp 200@11
    HSF: SLK 900(A) Panaflo 92m fan
    MEMORY: 1 stick of Corsairs XMS 512 3200C2PT
    VIDEO: MSI FX 5900xt
    HD: 1 WD 120gigger
    BURNER: Liteon 52x32x52
    CASE: Kingwin 424 series

Suse with its very anticipated 9.1 release (novell coming aboard) was the worst release they have done, imo. All people were asking and still are asking for, is a linux flavor that will work out of the box. Desktop apps, multimedia apps, office apps and etc. Theres is where most distributors have dropped the ball these days. Most don't run successfully straight out of the box. Suse has became a big joke imo.
    Huh ??
    Sorry, i dont sem to catch the punch line as tonight I'm geting very bored with this 0 configuration installs. I have switched at least few dozen or more die hard windows users. most think they are on some kinda new mac! way to much eye-candy but thas what they want. i tell them it's the 2005 version of windows.
    NO CONFIGERING NVIDI ! Yep, just run your updates ,once again via yast , point and click and the g4's turn them-selfs on.
    b.t.w. soyo kt600, cd rom, mx440 and xp-2500 ,512 pc 2700. no i cant overclock them and i'll be damend if i want my users to either let them break thier own
    *ediet* forgot to metion i have to pt together 3 with MS office so far NOT a prob. !(praiseyou code-weavers)
    Last edited by tropical techno; 08-28-2004 at 11:31 PM.

Does your O.S. Welcome you with,
    Have a Whole lot of fun?
    Welcome, have a lot of fun

i must say i really don't understand the cult of gentoo. i installed it a few times over a week or two, and it didn't even seem like linux. all kinds of weird non-standard commands (it seemed to me) that were like nothing i had ever seen on slackware, debian, red hat, or anything else. emerge seemed like a good implementation, but it's not like debian doesn't have apt-get, either.

and who has time for all that compiling? it took me a few days just to get a minimally working system with X and whatever gui i installed (gnome, i think it was). and if you make a mistake, you sometimes just have to start all over again. no offense to anyone, but my impression at the time was that gentoo was like a linux for 13-year olds who had nothing better to do after school but compile programs so they could feel "l33t."

if people are using gentoo hats off to them for having the patience, but it's probably the absolute *last* distro i would ever recommend to someone new. arch is head and shoulders above gentoo for a newbie, if they want an "alternative" distro. and the "big three" mandrake/ suse/ fedora are probably the #1 new-user mainstream distros for ease of install and use. gentoo for a newbie? that is quite mad.

Quote Originally Posted by zoom314
    That sounds like more Typing, Thanks, But No Thanks, But what I was looking for was No Typing, Just point and click installation/unpacking of 3rd party programs, drivers and of running those programs.
    ... Windows rules, Linux drools in a straight jacket of It's own inability[/b].
    that really isn't true, because even in windoze you often have to type in the path where you want to install the program, or some other information like name or email address or something else. sure you can just click all manner of drop down menus and directory paths and folder icons to pick where to install it, but that takes a lot of hunting around that makes it even worse than the command line that you think is so bad. or you can just install it in the default location, pressing "next" about 10 times, and bogging down your c:/ drive with all kinds of application files in who knows what location/s. and if it's a program you're getting from the web, you have to search around for it, download it (usually with the hassle of registering in some way = typing), navigate to the folder where you saved it, extract the contents to another directory to get to the setup.exe, etc. etc. it's a big hassle.

with cutting edge linux distros you don't have to deal with any of that. in arch, you type: pacman -S mozilla-firefox, and THAT'S IT. it's installed. in gentoo, you emerge it. in debian you apt-get it. and that's it. that is a way easier method of installing programs than the MS way, to anyone who is thinking objectively, and whose brain hasn't been regressed to kindergarten level by the Microsoft "fischer-price" approach to computing. "where's my icon? waaaaaaaa!"

Try Libranet here: http://www.libranet.com/ It is a Debian spin off. I am not affiliated with this product in any way, except as a user.

I have 2 "test box machines" a K6-2 500 with 256 megs of RAM and a "new" PIII 800e with 512megs.

INSTALLATION - Libranet will basically install itself on the hard drive, period. You can change how the disks are partitioned if desired and I do. No compiling for days, installs in a couple hours. Try installing Gentoo on an old box and see how long it takes to install, compile becomes a 4 letter word.

SPEED - Fedora crawls on the K6-2 and is basically unusable. Why? Because they want to make Fedora work on ANY machine so they must enable everything, including the kitchen sink. Most of the crap is not on my machine nor yours, why hog system resources for it. Libranet installs fairly clean and hauls butt, even on the K6-2. How do you think it would run on a faster machine?

UPDATING - APT is an easy way to update/install new software. It doesn't get much easier in Linux. I set up Fedora to use a similar method easily too, Yum as I recall, and loved it. Then there is the fantastic configuration panel in Libranet. You can set up and maintain sound, LAN, etc, the entire system basically from one simple menu.

USABILITY - Libranet is not only clean in appearance it, is set up well and gives a LOT of configurability. It defaults to ICEwm desktop, but many others including Gnome and KDE are available as installed. Many browsers are included, just click on the one you like. Opera is the fastest full browser I've found, if you want Firefox add it. My non-tech wife even likes Libranet!!

The point is, do not just look at those distros with the "biggest name". There are plenty that will do almost exactly what you want perhaps a lot better, research them. I wanted something that would install quickly/easily, run on anything well, be easy to use, and easy to maintain. There are learning opportunities with Libranet too. How about learning to convert from a 2.4 kernel to a 2.6? Or how about learning more about running it on a AMD64? You want a distro that runs from a CD/DVD, search for one. The choice is yours, think about what you want to accomplish. Libranet will at least give you a great system to get started with. You may want to check Debian too.

That said I am getting the "free" copy Suse from Novell to ecaluate, and since I use Sun Solaris at work, I'll likely install it also. I need to build a full 64bit machine first though!! Let's have some fun.
    najames

i used libranet to install debian on my PII webserver. it worked great, great hw detection, set up relatively quickly, and once i did a dist-upgrade to sarge i had a fully functioning debian web server.

now that there's a debian installer i probably won't use libranet anymore, but if you want a fast debian desktop with that nice "admin menu" feature, i agree it's recommended.

i use gentoo, compiling isn't too bad -- you compile nightly for home PCs. you can compile while working on stuff, set portage_niceness to a higher value and the compiling gets lower priority...

so far i've found bad things on all distros --
    fedora -- doens't work. limited. confusing. my impressions after installing it and having no VC's, using ext3, and not having a clue how to install software (yum crashed).
    mandrake -- limited. doesn't work enough. my impressions when i had no idea how to install software (no online rpm base?) and my sound-daemon (not alsa, but jack) wasn't set up in the install...
    debian -- too hard to get "testing" cds. jigdo would fail with 500 files remaining...
    yoper -- too immature at this time, needs more.
    freeBSD5 -- slow. everytime i've used BSD its been painfully slow.

i like gentoo because it didn't claim to be easy then not configure my stuff, has easy to find docs and forums for problems, and its on my computer...

looking forward to doing a debian-sparc mailserver later this year. i may go gentoo or BSD, but right now debian looks good.
    I know exactly how the PC works. I understand the OOO, superscalar and superpiplined designs. I just don't understand how the PC doesn't work as shown in so many cases.

I'm having trouble understanding libranet... its just a different way to run a Debian box? I noticed on libranet's website that they're still stuck on Gnome 2.2.2 and alot of older packages... Does that just mean that I have to apt-get the newer ones for it to function just right?

Sorry for my newbness... I had a brief stint with debian but I always screwed something up when running Sid...
    barton 3000+, 8rda, 512 2700 samsung, evga6800GT, GTXP and delta66, 80gb wdse
    Arch Linux Homepage