Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: This Forum is becoming troubling

Quote Originally Posted by Computerwiz
    Just clarifying one thing, I meant some people not everyone. If I insinuated in my post it was a mistake and didn't intend to.

A select number of people, I didn't mean to say EVERYONE one.

bye
    I thought your work was done here?
    Quote Originally Posted by Radun
    ,.-'`\/]|[\/`'-.,,.-'`\/]|[\/`'-.,,.-'`\/]|[\/`'-.,

Maybe you're not aware of it, Computerwiz... but in your post replying to this thread, you accused pretty much everyone showing thier respect for Reagan of having false grief over his death...

Now, that's pretty damn insulting, if you ask me...

Maybe you should take a break from TLR until you're confident that you can word yourself properly to be less inflamatory?

P.S: Didn't you say you were done reading this thread 2 times already?

lol got to say rad you are provoking him, just leave the poor guy alone *let the flames begin * we all know he said it, with the exception of him knowing it himself of course, whether hes gonna be a wimp about it is his problem

Quote Originally Posted by Havox
    lol got to say rad you are provoking him
    Pointing out how someone is provoking a reaction from follow posters is provokation?
    Latent as is it may be, and he may not be aware of it... but that's why I point it out to him.

Everyone in this forum can criticize what Reagan did during his presidency, what no one can claim is to have done nearly as much as that man did during his lifetime.
    "Ability may get you to the top, but only character will keep you there." -Uknown

"It is easier to fight for ones principles then to live up to them." -Alfred Adler

"We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so we may always be free." -Ronald Reagan

"Freedom can be lost in a single generation...It is my prayer that our people always remember; freedom is never free." -General John A. Wickham, Jr.

"Saddam didn't exacly support terrorists...he would give compensation to suicide bombers families in palestine.. The isreal government would often bulldoze there houses..hence he would be covering the damages..." - Computerwiz

Quote Originally Posted by Ghoststalker
    Everyone in this forum can criticize what Reagan did during his presidency, what no one can claim is to have done nearly as much as that man did during his lifetime.
    Very true. I can't claim that I've been responsible for the deaths of tens of thousands or for having participated in the Iran-Contra affair or attacking various third world countries based on false dangers presented to the American people. You are right I doubt anyone here can claim to do as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikilo
    Very true. I can't claim that I've been responsible for the deaths of tens of thousands or for having participated in the Iran-Contra affair or attacking various third world countries based on false dangers presented to the American people. You are right I doubt anyone here can claim to do as much.

You also can't claim to have plaid a key role in bringing down a reigm responsible for more deaths then Hitler.
    "Ability may get you to the top, but only character will keep you there." -Uknown

"It is easier to fight for ones principles then to live up to them." -Alfred Adler

"We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so we may always be free." -Ronald Reagan

"Freedom can be lost in a single generation...It is my prayer that our people always remember; freedom is never free." -General John A. Wickham, Jr.

"Saddam didn't exacly support terrorists...he would give compensation to suicide bombers families in palestine.. The isreal government would often bulldoze there houses..hence he would be covering the damages..." - Computerwiz

Quote Originally Posted by Ghoststalker
    You also can't claim to have plaid a key role in bringing down a reigm responsible for more deaths then Hitler.
    If you are talking about the Soviet Union, it was already dying by the time Reagan took office. One of the biggest issues with Reagan was his ability to twist the facts into his own, preferred reality.

This whole debate of good Reagan vs. bad Reagan is getting nowhere. We have people praising him as one of the best presidents we've ever had, and others who are bashing him as being the worst. Neither side is going to give an inch to the other. We all know the things he was responsible for, both good and bad. Every president has made mistakes and/or bad decisions. There is no way that any one person can make everybody happy. You have to look at the overall picture not just the negative or positive sides by themselves.

The bottom line is this - he was loved and well respected by the majority of Americans. That should tell you something right there. He must have done something right to garner all that affection. Then again, to some people it just means that the majority of Americans must be dillusional.

There is one point I have seen made here several times that the bashers have yet to successfully contend with - that this country was in much better shape when he left office than it was when he went in. You can try to argue it, but unless you lived it like us "50 year old men" have you can't possibly know what it was like. Makes about as much sense as me bashing FDR or Truman. All you can do is go by what others have said because it all happened before your time.

So Nikilo, you want to know why us "50 year old men" are bashing you and Wiz? It's not because we don't agree with your points - at least not all of them anyway. We know about the things you guys keep reminding us of. The offensive nature and timing of your posts are the reasons why. You have shown a great disrespect for a recently deceased former president, his family and those of us who lived thru that era of our history. In essense, you're telling all of us that we are all wrong. You want us to show you respect, yet you show none. Get a clue.

If you are talking about the Soviet Union, it was already dying by the time Reagan took office. One of the biggest issues with Reagan was his ability to twist the facts into his own, preferred reality.
    This is exactly the reason I stay away from this forum more and more. Anyone that could actually BELIEVE such ridiculous folly is, well, not worth the time and effort.

In case any young, immature fools can't recall, Reagan took office in 1981 - a year after the Soviets invaded Afganistan. To even suggest that a regime that was actively invading neighboring country was "in decline", let alone "dying" is utter lunacy of the highest order.

In fact, I would go so far as to suggest that as of 1-1-1980, if you had a choice between the US and the USSR, which one would survive and prosper 25 years later, I almost guarantee most observers in the rest of the world would have said the USSR.
    Last edited by deadrody; 06-08-2004 at 11:56 AM.

Nikilo, I have never seen anyone that can focus on the negative aspects of something as good as you can. All you can do is try to keep making a mountain out of a mole hill with Iran-contra. Talk about regurgitating .

All of the good that Reagan did for the US means nothing according to you. Leftists are nothing if not predictable.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Edmund Burke

RIP PCPER TLR
    7-14-19

Quote Originally Posted by Talyn
    This whole debate of good Reagan vs. bad Reagan is getting nowhere. We have people praising him as one of the best presidents we've ever had, and others who are bashing him as being the worst. Neither side is going to give an inch to the other. We all know the things he was responsible for, both good and bad. Every president has made mistakes and/or bad decisions. There is no way that any one person can make everybody happy. You have to look at the overall picture not just the negative or positive sides by themselves.

The bottom line is this - he was loved and well respected by the majority of Americans. That should tell you something right there. He must have done something right to garner all that affection. Then again, to some people it just means that the majority of Americans must be dillusional.

There is one point I have seen made here several times that the bashers have yet to successfully contend with - that this country was in much better shape when he left office than it was when he went in. You can try to argue it, but unless you lived it like us "50 year old men" have you can't possibly know what it was like. Makes about as much sense as me bashing FDR or Truman. All you can do is go by what others have said because it all happened before your time.

So Nikilo, you want to know why us "50 year old men" are bashing you and Wiz? It's not because we don't agree with your points - at least not all of them anyway. We know about the things you guys keep reminding us of. The offensive nature and timing of your posts are the reasons why. You have shown a great disrespect for a recently deceased former president, his family and those of us who lived thru that era of our history. In essense, you're telling all of us that we are all wrong. You want us to show you respect, yet you show none. Get a clue.
    A debate that gets nowhere? I think that pretty much sums up every thread I've ever read in TLR. The only thing I've seen people agree on here is to disagree.
    The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Edmund Burke

RIP PCPER TLR
    7-14-19

Well, no amount of revisionist history will convince me that was the prevailing feeling at the time. Reagan was clearly one of the few who agreed with you, but it's a whole lot smarter thinking like that 25 years ago than after the fact, now.

Actually one of Reagan's first actions was to remove the US grain embargo to the Soviet Union that had been imposed by President Carter following the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan. The reason was that it was hurting US farmers and as every good politician knows, you need to look after domestic issues above all else. Sadly, there are very few good politicians who understand this.

Afghanistan was right next to the USSR. Not very hard to invade, and there was no real army to defend it. The Russians needed a warm water port. You also saw how badly they lost. If you want to continue to fear things that are not dangerous to you thats fine, but I don't need paranoia to justify my existence.
    Check your atlas. There aren't too many warm water ports in Afghanistan.

Quote Originally Posted by Enmore
    Check your atlas. There aren't too many warm water ports in Afghanistan.
    Yes but it borders Pakistan and if you read up more on the Soviet Union's policy during the era, that was their next target.