Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: This Forum is becoming troubling

Quote Originally Posted by Nikilo
    Yes but it borders Pakistan and if you read up more on the Soviet Union's policy during the era, that was their next target.
    Of course and there's nothing new there. It had been a target for Imperial Russia since the early 1800's. All part of the 'Great Game' with the British Empire in India.

Yes but it borders Pakistan and if you read up more on the Soviet Union's policy during the era, that was their next target.
    Again, conquering of one, then another neighboring countries is not - I repeat NOT - the action of a "dying" regime.

The fact that they eventually were repelled was not indicative of their regime "dying". It was one of the eventual causes, though.

You would be hard pressed to find a legitimate source that would back any other version of history than the one that says that the massive economic toll of the arms race accelerated by Reagan was the primary cause of the end of the USSR. In no way, shape, or form, was that in progress when Reagan took office.

Yeah, but Georgia borders Florida, and Florida borders Alabama....who cares? This thread started about how troublesome this forum has become and now we get a geogrpahy lesson? When does enough become enough? This thread is just like all the rest, way OT in the end!
    looking for a 5GB Athlon

You know whats really troubling? 50 year old men bashing Computerwiz. I mean can't some of you do more than regurgitate what your parents taught you? At least Computerwiz did some independent research and didn't draw his opinion of Reagan from the censored media reports of the last two days like most 16 y/o kids would.

Yes, Reagan died. Yes, we should respect people's death. But when the facts are ignored and all the bad things a man does are covered up upon his death I hope some people come out and voice their dissent. The only thing that was out of bounds about what Computerwiz posted was the title of the thread. The rest of it was completely reasonable. He read Reagan's history and decided maybe this guy isn't all hes cracked up to be.

Ok NIKILO
    I will wait until your President Clinton dies than I will start poping shots at all his mistakes and corruption durring his presidency term and negate all the good that came from his years. Once again I am going to re-post the main facts about how the majority Loved President Reagan.

Here are the Facts and hard to say he was a bad President.
    "Reagan won a landslide victory over incumbent president Jimmy Carter, with a 489-49 electoral vote margin, taking 45 states to Carter's five. For the first time in 30 years Republicans won control of the Senate. (The Democratics would get it back in 1986.) Seeking a second term in 1984, Reagan would do even better, with the biggest landslide victory in American presidential politics, winning 59% of the popular vote and taking 49 states to challenger Walter Mondale's one (his home state of Minnesota.) It's safe to say that the 1980s witnessed a reformation in the Democratic Party, as fiscally conservative "New" Democrats seized the reins from the old-style, New Deal liberals. It wasn't until 1992 that the Democrats managed to regain the White House, only to lose both houses of Congress two years later in the wake of Bill Clinton's ill-advised flirtation with "nationalized" health care -- a proposal far too reminiscent of New Deal liberalism to appeal to the American people."

Why would such a bad man be re-elected and win the election by BIGGEST LANDSLIDE VICTORY IN AMERICAN HISTORY???
    You must have been part of that super smart 41% that didn't feel the same. Must be frustrating to know so much and sit back and watch the ignorant masses from that time period.
    Last edited by Rado; 06-08-2004 at 02:38 PM.
    My system specs:
    AMD64
    3200+
    MSI K8T800 Model "K8T NEO-FSR"
    Mushkin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3500 Level One
    eVGA nVIDIA GeForce 6800GT Video Card
    Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA HDD
    Lite-On Black 16X DVD-ROM Drive
    SB Audigy2 ZS Sound Card
    Aspire X-Dreamer II Blue
    Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX Certified Speaker System

You know whats really troubling? 50 year old men bashing Computerwiz. I mean can't some of you do more than regurgitate what your parents taught you? At least Computerwiz did some independent research and didn't draw his opinion of Reagan from the censored media reports of the last two days like most 16 y/o kids would.

Yes, Reagan died. Yes, we should respect people's death. But when the facts are ignored and all the bad things a man does are covered up upon his death I hope some people come out and voice their dissent. The only thing that was out of bounds about what Computerwiz posted was the title of the thread. The rest of it was completely reasonable. He read Reagan's history and decided maybe this guy isn't all hes cracked up to be.
    First of all I'm 25. Second of all my parents are both Democrats and have been so long as I've been on this planet. I've done plenty of my own independent research which has indicated to me that while there may have been some particularly nasty things that happened under Reagans watch he certainly didn't plain "suck" as a president.

By C-Wiz's own admission he hardly knew anything about the guy besides a smattering of what? Websites he visited? You know as well as myself that depending on what website you're visiting you can get a totally different version of history on the topic. You have to contrast and compare a number of sources. I wouldn't qualify what he did as "research". Re-read the first post he made in the thread. Does that honestly look like it took more than a pass down a website or do you think he sat down, cracked open the history books and got to work? I can see we have very separate standards on quality of threads.

Reading his posts and his replies and his thoughts you see only one thing; he's pissed about what he feels to be "bandwagon compassion" for the deceased president. People apparently do not have the right to mourn him and are pretending to be upset to "fit in". I don't know about you guys but I'm not gonna get bumped out of the grocery line because I didn't drop some flowers on Reagan's grave. I seriously doubt there's some social pressure to mourn for Reagan and proclaiming your disgust for it demonstrates more about yourself than it does about other people.

Don't kid yourself and don't turn this into "It's my right to dissent!" argument because that is not even the issue. Your stereotype and idea of who you think would disagree with C-Wiz's post is completely off the mark by solar distances and I love the idea you have of anyone who doesn't accept such a childishly written, piss poor "research" paper. Perhaps you could qualify that as valid but it hardly registers on my radar. I need SUBSTANCE not verbal sewage.

Quote Originally Posted by Rado
    Ok NIKILO
    I will wait until your President Clinton dies than I will start poping shots at all his mistakes and corruption durring his presidency term and negate all the good that came from his years. Once again I am going to re-post the main facts about how the majority Loved President Reagan.

"Reagan won a landslide victory over incumbent president Jimmy Carter, with a 489-49 electoral vote margin, taking 45 states to Carter's five. For the first time in 30 years Republicans won control of the Senate. (The Democratics would get it back in 1986.) Seeking a second term in 1984, Reagan would do even better, with the biggest landslide victory in American presidential politics, winning 59% of the popular vote and taking 49 states to challenger Walter Mondale's one (his home state of Minnesota.) It's safe to say that the 1980s witnessed a reformation in the Democratic Party, as fiscally conservative "New" Democrats seized the reins from the old-style, New Deal liberals. It wasn't until 1992 that the Democrats managed to regain the White House, only to lose both houses of Congress two years later in the wake of Bill Clinton's ill-advised flirtation with "nationalized" health care -- a proposal far too reminiscent of New Deal liberalism to appeal to the American people."

Why would such a bad man be re-elected and win the election by BIGGEST LANDSLIDE VICTORY IN AMERICAN HISTORY???
    You must have been part of that super smart 41% that didn't feel the same. Must be frustrating to know so much and sit back and watch the ignorant masses from that time period.
    "My" president Clinton? I'm sorry but I don't participate in this hero worship. If you trash Clinton after he dies I could give a rats ass.

Why would such a bad man be re-elected? Come on, you are not that naive. Look at American history. It could be the 250 bloodiest years in the current epoch.

Quite frankly I never "trashed" Reagan. I said R.I.P. but I don't have to say he was a good president, hell even an average one. So get off my back Snowball, I don't need a morality lecture from you especially about a man who was responsible for thousands of deaths around the Third World.

Here is a link about the whole history in a nut shell about the time Reagan served in Office. This is for a few people around here(the lasts few days on different threads also) who only seem to get their facts from liberal sources. Take it as you will but this is the FACTS:

http://eightiesclub.tripod.com/id363.htm
    My system specs:
    AMD64
    3200+
    MSI K8T800 Model "K8T NEO-FSR"
    Mushkin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3500 Level One
    eVGA nVIDIA GeForce 6800GT Video Card
    Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA HDD
    Lite-On Black 16X DVD-ROM Drive
    SB Audigy2 ZS Sound Card
    Aspire X-Dreamer II Blue
    Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX Certified Speaker System

Here's another interesting article from the same site. Shows that not everything is so black and white.

My video "tribute" to Armed Assault.

Thx for the article Chiles. It's also a good warning about relying on potentialy untrustworthy sources. I believe a great deal of his popularity comes not from being a conservative president, but just being a good president.

Wow, I never thought about Reagan on the $10. They should put him on a $1 coin though. I do believe FDR is more romanticized than Reagan. If you read much into FDR's histories, he made just as many mistakes and underhanded dealings.

A poll on cnn.com with over 100,000 votes is about 70% to 30% against replacing Hamilton's likeness with that of Reagan's. I am in no way trying to insuate anything, I am just reporting the facts. I don't care one way or the other, unless Reagan's picture makes the $10 bill worth more
    Last edited by brewzer; 06-08-2004 at 04:19 PM.
    looking for a 5GB Athlon

Quote Originally Posted by mostholycerebus
    Wow, I never thought about Reagan on the $10. They should put him on a $1 coin though. I do believe FDR is more romanticized than Reagan. If you read much into FDR's histories, he made just as many mistakes and underhanded dealings.
    FDR is on the dime, not the $10 bill. Hamilton is on the $10 bill. If Reagan is put on dimes, it would be half of the dimes with the other still having FDR's likeness.
    looking for a 5GB Athlon

Quote Originally Posted by Rado
    Ok NIKILO

Yes EVERY leader, who has overwhelming approval ratings is such an outstanding leader. Take Hitler for example. You know if you're going to defend someone, approval ratings isn't the way to do it. Especially if his actions don't match someone who would have been greatly admired, just because the media twists around facts, he had a well run campaign and a lot of americans are apolitical in the first place and liked him for his image and acting ability does not mean he was the best choice, or even a good choice

You some how correlate the notion that, something that is always popular is always right. Take vietnam everyone was for it at the time, and look how it turned out. What about when everyone believed the earth was flat, not very accurate were they?? What about racism that was widely accepted.. Remember when the movie titanic came out, everyone loved that even though it was possibly the worst movie ever made...

Popularity MEANS NOTHING
    Last edited by Computerwiz; 06-08-2004 at 08:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Computerwiz
    Yes EVERY leader, who has overwhelming approval ratings is such an outstanding leader. Take Hitler for example.
    Are you comparing Reagan and Hitler?

Quote Originally Posted by DazDillinger
    Are you comparing Reagan and Hitler?
    no, you apparently missed my whole point. Why don't you reread mine and his post and analyze my post with the bit of brain power you may have

Re: yet another Reagan thread [split from "This fourm is becoming troubling"]

Quote Originally Posted by Computerwiz
    Yes EVERY leader, who has overwhelming approval ratings is such an outstanding leader. Take Hitler for example.
    ..nuff said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Radun
    ,.-'`\/]|[\/`'-.,,.-'`\/]|[\/`'-.,,.-'`\/]|[\/`'-.,