Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    The hippest place in the Universe (as voted by the readers of PlayBeing).... my left cranium

Re: FF Member connection speeds.

Yeah, there's plenty of competition for our money here in SoCal..... incidentally, this is Earthlink Cable, provided by Time Warner (Roadrunner in other words)

My rigs My Games

Join the Fragging Frogs and get your own back on flamers, thread stealers and the mods.
    So you think you know where your towel is?

my friend is getting 6000/768 cable soon.. maybe i can convince him to host some games for us once in a while

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

Quote Originally Posted by j1mb0b
    Yeah, there's plenty of competition for our money here in SoCal..... incidentally, this is Earthlink Cable, provided by Time Warner (Roadrunner in other words)
    Sounds like Time Warner is feeling the pressure of competition. Their basic service used to be 2000/384. Then I heard they went to 3000/384 and now it looks like you got 3000/512. All for the same money I assume. Who can complain about free speed upgrades? Well you can't really use 'free' and 'Time Warner' in the same sentence. As I recall their prices weren't all that great and I know they have gone up further since I left their service area Jan 2004.

And here I am with some obscure small time cable company who offers 3000/1000 for $35 a month. I've already forgotten about that $1200 I dropped for that 550 foot underground cable run I have a friend who always tells me Time Warner is always trying to buy out my cable company and expand their service area. I hope they never do!!
    If you enjoy gaming click here to learn about the Fragging Frogs.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]
    My Rigs - My Upgrade History - My Games

The hippest place in the Universe (as voted by the readers of PlayBeing).... my left cranium

Yeah, Len - that's what I've had in the last 18months-2 years since I switched from Earthlink DSL to Earthinlink cable. Started 2000/384, then 3000/384 and now it seems to be 3000/512 No price increases for me so far either. $42/mth. Still not cheap though

My rigs My Games

Join the Fragging Frogs and get your own back on flamers, thread stealers and the mods.

J1m, I pay about that much for 3000/256, so no bitchin'.

I weren't really bitchin'..... or at least I wasn't until I heard what Len pays!!!

My rigs My Games

Quote Originally Posted by j1mb0b
    I weren't really bitchin'..... or at least I wasn't until I heard what Len pays!!!
    Well you'll feel better when I tell you that I actually $50 a month. The extra $15 is for their 'VPN Service' without which I can't connect to work over VPN. Apparently they have those ports closed and only open them if you pay. When I had Road Runner, VPN worked out of the box with no extra charges.

[Proudly using only AMD desktop CPUs since 1996 and now also GPUs in 2014 - Thanks AMD!!]

I feel so much better now - thanks Len.... I use VPN all the time for work, so I'd be stuffed if they blocked it.

My rigs My Games

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny
    Well you'll feel better when I tell you that I actually $50 a month. The extra $15 is for their 'VPN Service' without which I can't connect to work over VPN. Apparently they have those ports closed and only open them if you pay. When I had Road Runner, VPN worked out of the box with no extra charges.
    that sucks.. what a waste of money

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

so did roadrunner up there service again? it used to be 3000/384. thats who i use at home. its even faster than my colleges network, which is all screwed up still.
    wow just found this. http://www.rr.com/rdrun/ 5 meg download instead of 3 starting this month for most of us. didn't see anything about upload, but surely it was upped as well? either way still sweet.
    Last edited by modru2004; 01-20-2005 at 07:00 PM.

AFAIK, what i have is equivalent to RR. but i haven't (yet?) noticed an increase in DL speed, only upload. I'll let you know if I hear / notice anything else.

My rigs My Games

2005-01-21 01:09:11 EST: 2886 / 239
    Your download speed : 2955717 bps, or 2886 kbps.
    A 360.8 KB/sec transfer rate.
    Your upload speed : 245563 bps, or 239 kbps.

how up to date is the initial post?

says last edited last july
    Last edited by StompinRound; 01-21-2005 at 02:13 AM.

Can we get a mod in here to fix up post #1? I kinda doubt that no-show Jerky is going to do it

Btw, I gotta run more speed tests to beat Hockeydude's 969 upload. I know I've hit the 970's before

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny
    Can we get a mod in here to fix up post #1? I kinda doubt that no-show Jerky is going to do it

Btw, I gotta run more speed tests to beat Hockeydude's 969 upload. I know I've hit the 970's before
    OK, one of us will go thru it. Does Kami still have cable then? I know he runs his server off the dsl...

I brought this thread back to life in post #38 (middle of page 3). Should be up to date prior to that.