Compaq Presario 6000 PSU/CPU fan issue

A friend of mine's sister has a Compaq Presario 6000 they bought for her last year for college. Now she's home for the summer and we had an issue with the computer. Whenever we clicked on her logon name on the XP Welcome screen, it would give us a blue screen with a error saying the system had to be shut down. We couldn't figure out a fix, so we decided to just use the recovery CD that came with the computer. Another issue we had, though, was that the fan on the back of the PSU was not coming on. After some time the computer would turn itself off, so we guessed it was because of the PSU getting too hot. It was a 200W PSU, so we ordered another one on Newegg for $16. It came, and to our suprise, it was much smaller than the old one, and we were only able to secure it with two screws, leaving an empty hole above it on the back of the computer. This PSU only had an exhaust fan on the bottom and none on the back, so it did NOT have a power wire to conect to the motherboard to power its fan (the old PSU did). Wouldn't think this would make a difference to the CPU fan, huh? Well, it did. When we powered it on, the CPU fan would not rotate. Then we tried putting the old PSU in (the one with the non-functioning rear exhaust fan, and this one DOES have a power wire that goes to the motherboard), and the CPU fan worked just fine. So with the old PSU ITS fan doesn't work. With the new one the CPU fan doesn't work. Any ideas how we can use the new fan PSU and still have the CPU fan operate?

Re: Compaq Presario 6000 PSU/CPU fan issue

Bump!

proprietary hardware....
    well i dont know if the compaq psu is any different from a reghular PSU (personally i dont know i mean)
    my advise would be to get a new PSU through compaq... hope you have that nice warranty. (the 3 year one)
    when dealing with Dell, Compaq, Ibm, Gateway, unless you are certain that another piece of hardware will work, it is best to go with the manufacturers replacemnt parts.

Thats not to say that there isn;t a different way to do it, but this might be the simplest and least unnerving.

I suppose they could've done something to purposely make another PSU not be able to power the CPU fan? How mean if so....