Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: a PCPer distro

Crouched behind a camera with a wide lens

Re: a PCPer distro

Personally, I'd like to make it so that you don't have to know ANYTHING about linux to install it.

Quote Originally Posted by clawhammer
    Personally, I'd like to make it so that you don't have to know ANYTHING about linux to install it.
    I'll second that... and add: Or need to know anything about linux to USE it. (because I don't )
    Quote Originally Posted by Radun
    ,.-'`\/]|[\/`'-.,,.-'`\/]|[\/`'-.,,.-'`\/]|[\/`'-.,

I know someone made an anaconda (thats RedHat/Fedora's installer) installer for Gentoo (stage-3)...so it would be possible to do that in some way.
    Finding the clitoris? Is that like finding Jesus?

I would love to see something simple to install and still be idiot proof(me),,,,I dont mind choices ,but I like to know what Im doing when Im doing it,so a really cleaver interface would be nice with lots of explanations then as i get more confident with it the ability to change things and install different packages w/explanation on what and how im doing it ,,mind you i have tried different versions of linux and its confusing as hell to configure what you want and how to find it..............plus I want a million dollars,,ok ,thats all i want.................

Uh oh, I hope I'm not jumping in too late in the game! I haven't been around much with school and then I moved back to Syracuse, so I got Internet back yesterday. I dunno how much use I would be, but since I am on coop I ahve some free time and would love to help. I've written a lot of scripts aimed towards making things easy to compile and install with Redhat out-of-the-box, and in theory should work on most other distros. This seems like a challenge that I would be up for!

(KDE or Gnome, not both), OOo, Mozzila, basic multi-media, and gaim at it's core. depending on how big it was already, we could then add stuff like SMB sharing, maybe the Gimp
    qouting clawhammer^^^^^^^^^

other than mozzila,,that othe stuff is greek

Question Re: a PCPer distro

I fully agree with a lot of what has been brought up, but I think that the main reason people either fear or are in awe of Linux is the unfamiliarity of the backbone interface.

Graphically, people who use computers now-a-days, can follow a lot better than if they are presented with a command prompt (Shudder--What is that?)

I have been working with computers for over 25 years, and I still can remember DOS scripting, Fortran compiling, and C programming at its first introduction. To me the command prompt is nothing new, but to anyone who has been working with computers mainly for the last 5-10 years, (Re Win3.1, Win95 etc...), everything is icons. I feel that to be friendly to the user, a simple graphical install, with minimal choices that gets them running in a limited environment with a graphical desktop would be the best start. At that point, have available a shopping list of sorts of features and available items that can be introduced into the system either through yum, apt-get, or portage. Whatever the final choices, I still feel this should be done using a graphical environment, and the less people see of the command prompt on install and setup the better.

Anyone who puts time into installing and updating their system will want to take the steps necessary to learn what needs to be done, and at that point, they can choose to really see what is going on.

I have survived a Gentoo Stage 1 install, but, to drop that in someones lap not familiar with a command prompt or Linux, will have them either running scared, or simply firing up Windows.

Windows is so popular not because of what it can do, but what it does for you. The less people have to do to get something to start working, the better. That does not mean that it is the best way, but, to most, the easier the better.

My first novel has now been published.... Thank you.

Bah, I say it be a completely console based distro.
    Small, fast, straight to the point.
    pine, nano, vi, cdrecord, growisofs, links, coreutils, ssh, and all that wonderful stuff.
    It would teach people linux at its basics (and most powerful)

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00,you don't want Linux.'"
    - Bruce Perens, Former Debian Project Leader

That has already been done, its called Damn Small Linux (www.damnsmalllinux.org in case you haven't heard of it)

I say KDE, its the more "windows like".

Crouched behind a camera with a wide lens

weloman, that's the whole idea- create a distro that doesn't have too many choices, contains basic programs, and stable enough that the user wouldn't have to touch the command line if they don't want to.

hstroud, Gnome and KDE are window enviroments. I think MD 10 has Gnome as default. OOo is OpenOffice.org, gaim is a multi-protocol Instant Messanger Client, SMB is Samba flie sharing that is compatible with Redmond machines, and the Gimp is the GNU Image Manipulation Program. It's kinda like photoshop but without some advanced stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by edudlive
    That has already been done, its called Damn Small Linux (www.damnsmalllinux.org in case you haven't heard of it)

I say KDE, its the more "windows like".
    No DSL has X (with icewm, i think).

"Well, let's just say, 'if your VCR is still blinking 12:00,you don't want Linux.'"
    - Bruce Perens, Former Debian Project Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Provicemo
    No DSL has X (with icewm, i think).
    Eh, any live cd will do that stuff though...just kill X and you have it lol

2.4.26 kernel. As much as I would LOVE to use the 2.6.x kernels, in my opinion they are too immature for distro use. Maybe it is best to do this initially though, but I'm not sure. There is also a question on whether or not to include a SMP kernel and a 64bit kernel...again, this is something that needs to be addressed as technology pushes onward.
    -KDE3.3 (or whichever is most current) with various customization packages.
    -Custom /etc/skel file that will build all users like a windows build
    -Samba 3.04 with acustom configuration wizard that will allow it to be set up as a standalone or added to a domain. Eventually give the installer the ability to bind to Active Directory.
    -gkrellm with i2c installed. Just like motherboard monitor for linux, a useful tool.
    -Xiaman Evolution w/ the Novell Freeware Exchange plugin- a solution for all users who seek compatibility.
    -MPlayer with all codecs installed, plus default skins.
    -package management of some form, although that could be difficult. You would need a DB created on each machine for management, and then some other stuff. This will take a lot of time and consideration.
    -OpenOffice for obvious reasons.
    -Mozilla Firefox .9
    -Gaim (most current) and XChat for IRC users
    Automagic Video driver compatibility (cannot stress how difficukt this would be, but it's a nice thought )

Of course, with all of this we are moving towards Lindows setup at this point. Maybe we can make a better, more stable and mature distro than them though. The setup I described above is developed for maximum usability, not necessarily as a learning tool. And as you can tell, this is mostly just mental diahrria at this point. Some of this is not practical or willl plain not work, but at least the ideas are out there.

Quote Originally Posted by netracer
    2.4.26 kernel. As much as I would LOVE to use the 2.6.x kernels, in my opinion they are too immature for distro use.
    2.4 on a AMD forum? You know that half the people here use nForce boards...2.4 doesn't like nForce

I'd say when Red Hat and Mandrake decide to put 2.6 in its distros (even though I hate both companies), that it is pretty stable.

Maybe it is best to do this initially though, but I'm not sure. There is also a question on whether or not to include a SMP kernel and a 64bit kernel...again, this is something that needs to be addressed as technology pushes onward.
    64 bit is too young for us (especially since most of us dont have a64s yet)...so it wouldn't make much sense when A64 will still run 32bit

-KDE3.3 (or whichever is most current) with various customization packages.
    I think KDE 3.2.3 just came out.

[quote-Custom /etc/skel file that will build all users like a windows build
    -Samba 3.04 with acustom configuration wizard that will allow it to be set up as a standalone or added to a domain. Eventually give the installer the ability to bind to Active Directory.[/quote]

Sounds good to me.

-gkrellm with i2c installed. Just like motherboard monitor for linux, a useful tool.
    Though, I love GKrellm so much more...if it is going to be a KDE desktop, wouldn't it be better to use Karamba? (correction: see firefox section)

-Xiaman Evolution w/ the Novell Freeware Exchange plugin- a solution for all users who seek compatibility.
    -MPlayer with all codecs installed, plus default skins.
    again with the sounds good to me

-package management of some form, although that could be difficult. You would need a DB created on each machine for management, and then some other stuff. This will take a lot of time and consideration.
    This is where a HUGE arguement is going to ensue in this project. I like source, but if someone wants to put in the time to build package management, I sure wont argue to stop them.

-OpenOffice for obvious reasons.
    Though I don't use it, good choice for the Windows convertees

-Mozilla Firefox .9
    -Gaim (most current) and XChat for IRC users
    Automagic Video driver compatibility (cannot stress how difficukt this would be, but it's a nice thought )
    Damn, I forget that FireFox installs GTK, so I guess using GKrellm is actually ok (I haven't used .9 and probably won't for a while)

Gaim + XChat =

Video card thing = doesn't the kernel do that (to an extent)? we could always just compile all the drivers in or something

Of course, with all of this we are moving towards Lindows setup at this point. Maybe we can make a better, more stable and mature distro than them though. The setup I described above is developed for maximum usability, not necessarily as a learning tool. And as you can tell, this is mostly just mental diahrria at this point. Some of this is not practical or willl plain not work, but at least the ideas are out there.
    Lindows? Never speak of that company again in this forum!

Lindows does not count as Linux, I'm sorry...but I think most people will agree there. I'd say we're trying to use the Fedora/Mandrake/SuSe mentality of ease of use...but keep the Slackware/Debian/Gentoo sense of "this is one powerful damn distro "

Sorry for all that analyzing of your post.

thats the kinda of stuff us true noobs need ta know ,,it seems theres so many choices and unless ya get a book and spend the next year locked in a room with it and your computer and linux,,you'll end up back with windows,lol,,like me
    or maybe I'm just too dense

Quote Originally Posted by clawhammer
    weloman, that's the whole idea- create a distro that doesn't have too many choices, contains basic programs, and stable enough that the user wouldn't have to touch the command line if they don't want to.

hstroud, Gnome and KDE are window enviroments. I think MD 10 has Gnome as default. OOo is OpenOffice.org, gaim is a multi-protocol Instant Messanger Client, SMB is Samba flie sharing that is compatible with Redmond machines, and the Gimp is the GNU Image Manipulation Program. It's kinda like photoshop but without some advanced stuff.