DVD player question

I have no idea what forum section to post in so I chose this one, hope thats ok.

I have A LOT of Mpeg2 format files that are HUGE and are taking up space. Is it possible for a DVD player to play media files of this typ or any other typ on a regular CD? I dont mean a PC DVD player, I mean a regular home DVD player. Are they able to read the media from a burned CD-R? And if so, what format do I need to burn it as? Mpeg2? Avi?? Thanx in advance for any suggextions or help.
    Intel Core2 Duo 6600
    Asus P5N32E-SLI
    Dual Western Digital Raptor's 74Gig 10,000 RPM 16Meg cache RAID0
    Dual 80 gig Seagate Barracuda's RAID0
    Nvidia/ASUS 8800GTX
    Samsung DDR2 Dual channel 2Gig
    WindowsXP Pro

Re: DVD player question

very unlikely, about the best you could do is probably vcd, however telling us the type of player will help.
    Angels fall farthest...

Xbox, LOL. Right now I dont have a regular DVD player. I usually watch DVD's on my PC, but since I got my Xbox and widescreen AND just recorded the 24 hours of LeMans on Speed Channel, I would like to be ablt to burn it to CD because I dont have a DVD Burner. If it is not possible that would really suck. Guess I will have to fork out the dough for a DVD burner afterall.
    Intel Core2 Duo 6600
    Asus P5N32E-SLI
    Nvidia/ASUS 8800GTX
    WindowsXP Pro

X-Box eh? Well, then your options increase significantly since an X-box is basically a computer.

There are various software hacks that allow for you to load up a media player of sorts onto the x-box hard drive. From there, you could either copy the video to the hard drive or possibly burn it onto a cd and play it from there. Not entirely sure on the CD part of that though...

There are also hardware hacks that allow you to do all the above and also exchange the hard drive for a larger one but I'm not going to get into that since it isn't really my area of expertise. Just keep in mind that there is alot you can do with the x-box...

Without some sort of hack on the x-box, you may just be limited to VCD/SVCD/Etc fromats which aren't very high quality and don't hold much. Keep in mind a cd is ~700mb....

24 hours of video?!?!? Jebus....your could always wait for Blu-Ray Disc or HD-DVD

-GB
    Case: Koolance PC2-601BW Case w/ Black Ice Extreme 2 Radiator
    CPU: Athlon XP 2400+ @ ~2.1Ghz w/ Koolance CPU-200g Block
    Mobo: Soltek SLFRN2-RL @ 220mhz w/ Koolance Cu Chipset Block on NB | Al HS on SB
    RAM: Geil 512MB x2 PC3500 @ 220mhz 11-3-3-2.5
    Video: Radeon9800 @ 344/270 w/ Koolance Cu Chipset Block | Ni Plated Cu RamSinks
    Audio: Audigy Gamer Edition w/ Klipsch 5.1
    HDD: WD 36GB Raptor | WD 120 GB HDD | WD 40GB HDD
    Mobile: Rio Karma 20GB | eMachine M6805 Laptop

Yeah I was thinking along those lines when I first posted but I wasnt sure what was out there in terms of hacks for the Xbox. HD-DVD you say? Hmm I am really behind the times here
    Intel Core2 Duo 6600
    Asus P5N32E-SLI
    Nvidia/ASUS 8800GTX
    WindowsXP Pro