Hard drive partition removeal ?

Is there a way (without reformatting) to put all partitions back to just one drive ? Say you have a 80 g that was split into 4-20 g's. Only the first partition has any info on it.

Thanks clip
    I'm not saying....Watch for Grand Opening

Mushkin is your freind..

XP Pro (Definitely)

Re: Hard drive partition removeal ?

And you want to keep the data that is on all the partitions? If that is true, then you will need a program for that. I would recommend Partition Magic. It used to be owned by PowerQuest Corporation. Apparently Symantec bought it. This should keep your data. It will take forever. Be cautioned, it's not gonna force you to make a recovery disk, it will just ask you to. You do not, I repeat, you do not want to skip that step. There are so many people who are sorry they did. You will want to merge partitions, and not delete them.

Manually deleting the partitions will erase that data on each logical drive trust me. But, if you have that stuff backed up, I do know that Windows XP can let you delete partitions and re-assign the sizes, and merging non-critical logical drives. Windows XP will not let you delete the OS or swapfile partition if you have one from within windows.

If you're wondering it is in Control Panel>Administrative Tools>...and in the left window below "Storage" is "Disk Management". You can right-click non-critical partitions you see there and select the action. You can also format those, too, and it is just as effective with removing Linux partitions also. You probably already know if you remove a Linux partition, you lose that install. Windows just protects itself.

If you delete partitions you will have to reformat the final secondary partition. Just so you know and don't start wondering why it doesn't have a drive letter and it's not shown by your OS.
    Last edited by notdrugged; 06-19-2004 at 01:43 AM.
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?

Okay, my post was overkill. I just tend to try and cover everything even though you said that there is no data on the other partitions. If you do it the windows way, you cannot merge the first with the final secondary partition. You will wind up with two. So, you can either use a program, or back up your system and start a fresh install but deleting all partitions and remaking it into one, reformatting and starting over. That's just all your options in a nut-shell. I'm so stupid with not reading two-line posts. Drr.
    ...Does anybody else feel like Congress simply bailed themselves out? Isn't that what they really mean by a bailout?

One word..........Partition Magic (lol) it will do everything you need, not need to explain because notdrugged explained , good luck in sorting ur hdd out

'Nother vote for Partition Magic It's the best.

Partition magic it is.

Thanks guys.
    I'm not saying....Watch for Grand Opening

Mushkin is your freind..

XP Pro (Definitely)

np, good luck in sorting it