Old 1.3 tbird, need to beef up a bit. thoughts on new sys please.

Hi all. I am doing some photo work and it seems to be bogging down my system considerably even after a reformat. My system consists of: Antec 840 case (400W power supply) iwill kk266 MB, 256 megs mushkin ram, 40 gig ibm HD, santa cruz turtle beach sound, 1.33 tbird using a taisol HS, and an OLD geforce 2 pro video card. Been a good system, but its time for a update. WIll there be a dramatic difference in speed when running PS elements and photo work like it? Let me know your thoughts, and what I can get into, and what I need to lose in it (sound card should be fine, HD should be ok..but the rest has to go) any links, post em. thanks much! 3C

Re: Old 1.3 tbird, need to beef up a bit. thoughts on new sys please.

For photoshop I'd get another 256 of RAM and a mobile 2400+.

For PhotoShop, you need as much RAM and CPU power as possible.

I'd go with an AMD AthlonXP or Athlon64 CPU (around 3200+ rating), a new mainboard, and 1GB of PC3200 RAM.

At www.newegg.com (a reputable online dealer) I priced out some components for you:

AMD AthlonXP 3200+ CPU (Retail, includes heatsink and fan)
    Asus A7N8X mainboard
    1GB Crucial PC3200 RAM (two 512MB sticks)
    Gainward FX Power Pack! Pro/660 TV/DVI FX5200 video card
    Total: $492.99 plus shipping

The reason I included the video card is that I don't think your old GF2 is compatible with the new mainboard.
    The Shadow knows - and what HE doesn't, Freaky knows!!!

Great, thanks guys! I'd actually look at the abit board also...and a ATI video card as they seem to be the thing now....thoughts? And will it make a big difference (noticable)? thanks much! 3C

I'd stay away from the 3200+ because you can easily get that speed with a mobile 2400+ from newegg I'd also grab a DFI Infinity or ABIT NF7-S and some 2x512 Mushkin PC3500 Lvl1.
    Your graphics card will work in these boards.

If you want an ATI video card, don't get anything less than a Radeon 9600XT. That card will give you decent performance in most games (blowing your old GF2 Pro outta the water), and it won't cost an arm and a leg.

I still recommend a 3200+ CPU, because someone who still has an 'ancient' T-bird 1.3GHz probably wouldn't be the overclocking type. Besides, overclocks aren't guaranteed, no matter how easy they might be.

You can get pretty much any name-brand nForce2 Ultra 400 mainboard and they'll perform well. Abit, Asus, DFI, and Gigabyte are some of the more reputable mainboard manufacturers.

Recommendations:
    AMD 3200+ processor
    Quality nForce2 Ultra 400 mainboard (Abit, Asus, DFI, Gigabyte)
    1GB Quality PC3200 RAM (Crucial, Corsair, Geil, Kingston, Mushkin, etc.)
    Midrange video card (ATI 9600XT or equivalent)
    The Shadow knows - and what HE doesn't, Freaky knows!!!