Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

New Celeron "Prescot" D is much better

See this article for details: http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=2093&p=1

It seems that the new Celeron is much better then the old one.
    (Though this won't change anything for me)

Sparks
    Asus R5E, Intel Core i7 5960X
    Cascade cooling (-94C @550W)
    G.Skill DDR4 3600C15@4266MHz cas12 Nvidia GTX730, Samsung 850 Evo/OCZ Vertex 4
    and Seasonic Platinum 1200Wi, Dell Ultrasharp U2711 and 20-50 more systems...

Re: New Celeron "Prescot" D is much better

Intel need a better low end CPU as the Celeron is naff. The old PIII one was good (the one that’s just a PIII renamed). The older PIII and PII Celeron with only half the cache were ok ish and the old one with no L2 was useless.

Screw the Celery, The Duron kicks ass!

As another election draws near; the G.O.P. are yet again filled with a stupid confidence that the they will win the White House. What they don't realize about people like Trump, Carson, and Cruz is that their rhetoric only resonates within an echo chamber, but not the American people. They live in an illusion of falsehood and distorted truth and only seek information and opinions that confirm these beliefs and instantly reject anything that contradicts them because only their opinions matter. Their notion of freedom is freedom for themselves and those alike to them, but not the rest of the country which has changed.
    These are the reasons why the G.O.P is set to lose in 2016. And when that happens, rest assured that they will have myriad of conspiracy theories blaming everyone and everything from the liberal media, to Oprah, to welfare moms, and pretty much everyone but their own disgusting selves.

celly is and wil lremain crap,cuz intel wants it that way..

lol @ : http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=2093&p=10

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

Yeah, better than the 2.6Ghz that ran about as fast as my Overclocked to 1.45Ghz Tualatin-Celeron!!! Not hard to pull off...

3200+ A64 0447 UPEW (2550 for now), NEO2 Plat, Crucial Ballistix 2x512, Radeon X800XL, Lian-Li PC-V1100.
    2600+ Mobile (2.5 Ghz), DFI LanParty NFII, Radeon 9800 Pro, gig of 3200, Lian-Li PC7

So now we have a Celeron that still performs poorly and runs at 800 degrees

Quote Originally Posted by _dangtx_
    celly is and wil lremain crap,cuz intel wants it that way..
    I'd never buy a Celeron, but it is a quite succesful CPU, in terms of market share. Intels low-end market approach is very succesful, despite the fact that low-end Athlon XPs have been quite faster that the Celeron chips so far

Quote Originally Posted by orion24
    I'd never buy a Celeron, but it is a quite succesful CPU, in terms of market share. Intels low-end market approach is very succesful, despite the fact that low-end Athlon XPs have been quite faster that the Celeron chips so far
    yea, its successful because they are screwing un-educated consumers out of their money! if people knew that the celeron was a castrated pentium 4 that was missing both of its arms i dont think ANYONE would buy it!

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

what a bunch of fanboys! I am amd supporter as well but i wouldn't make one sided remarks. What you mean they sucks? Don't you understand the review? I am sure in an INTEL forums, they are saying directly the opposite things.

It's a fair review that praises intel's making more effort to add performance to celeron. You can't deny that the gap is definitely closing between amd and intel in the lowend section.
    Thanks in advance.

Epox8RDA+, XP1700+ JIUHB (200x10.5) 2100MHz
    Vcore 1.70 : Vdimm 2.77 : AGP 1.6
    MSI Geforce4 4200 128MB 263/475
    KingstonValue 2x256mb-PC2700 CL2.5 DDR333
    Maxtor40GB-ATA133
    Maxtor20GB-ATA100
    Temp-Idle(40c)[wpcredit]-Load(50c),WindowsXPpro(sp1),Directx 9
    *** Upgraded system, will update soon ***

Quote Originally Posted by abubin
    You can't deny that the gap is definitely closing between amd and intel in the lowend section.

Do you know have any idea how long the AMD Athlon XPs have been out for? At least 4 years now (Bartons only 3). Or maybe you are talking about the Athlon64 2800+ which is considered low end in its class.

Sure this is an imporvement over the old celerons, but intel is still cheating customers by selling them crappy CPUs.

I think they are closing in, AMD is still better though. We shall see what the future will bring.

Sparks
    Asus R5E, Intel Core i7 5960X
    Cascade cooling (-94C @550W)
    G.Skill DDR4 3600C15@4266MHz cas12 Nvidia GTX730, Samsung 850 Evo/OCZ Vertex 4
    and Seasonic Platinum 1200Wi, Dell Ultrasharp U2711 and 20-50 more systems...

Yeah, Intel is making an effort at improving Celerons now that there are lawsuits

Gimme a break. A little late in my book. Seriusoly, how long has the celeron been out? And they are just now trying to improve?!?
    looking for a 5GB Athlon

The fact that this particular incarnation of the Celeron performs better than it's predecessors is, in my view, incidental. Intel did not actively set out to make a better Celeron -- it is simply a Celeron based off the core of the current Pentium, as has always been the case with Celerons.

What makes this incarnation unique, however, is that it performs better than it's predecessor, while it's corresponding Pentium (Prescott) performs worse than it's own predecessor (Northwood) at the same clock speed. The bulk of this Celeron's performance boost comes from having double the L1 (16k) AND L2 (256k) cache and a 33% higher FSB (533 Mhz). The low FSB and tiny 128k L2 have held Celeron back for a long time, so it's no surprise that increasing these as much (percent wise) more than makes up for a longer pipeline and lower IPC. The Prescott P4 was hurt by this much more.

Again, Intel didn't have to do anything special, just make a Prescott core and *not* disable quite as much cache, and allow it to run at a higher FSB.

The title of this thread was "New Celeron Prescott D is much better", not "New Celeron Prescott D best thing since sliced bread". I don't think anyone here (myself included) would seriously consider buying a Celeron-based system. However, I just wanted to point out that Intel will sell Celerons, and people will buy them. Nothing wrong with that. Power users of course won't, but for the rest of the populace how much power do you really need to browse the Web, send email, IM, and download music? Maybe a few people who buy them will later feel like they've been cheated when their system won't run their latest game so well or what have you, but you get what you pay for. There's a reason P4 systems cost more, and there are AMD based systems for sale as well. An attentive buyer will notice this, and a respectable salesperson will explain the differences and let the customer know which will fit his or her needs.

Of course, we can't count on attentive buyers or respectable salespeople, but that's what we here are for. After all, would any of us here let someone we care about buy a system that we know won't do what they need it to do, or that won't last very long? You can't save the world -- you can only look out for your own and let the rest of the world take care of itself. Maybe you can argue that we shouldn't *have* to, but if it wasn't computers it would be something else. People have choices to make every day, and that's life.
    Shuttle AK31 rev. 3.1
    TBred-B XP2100 @ 2256 Mhz 1.70 V
    Vantec Aeroflow/3 case fans
    1 gig Crucial PC2700
    BFG Asylum GeForce FX 5700 Ultra (576/1000)
    Audigy2 ZS
    300W Antec PS
    1xCD, 1xCDRW, HD, Floppy
    Buncha wires and stuff...