Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: New Celeron "Prescot" D is much better

Quote Originally Posted by abubin
    You can't deny that the gap is definitely closing between amd and intel in the lowend section.

Do you know have any idea how long the AMD Athlon XPs have been out for? At least 4 years now (Bartons only 3). Or maybe you are talking about the Athlon64 2800+ which is considered low end in its class.

Sure this is an imporvement over the old celerons, but intel is still cheating customers by selling them crappy CPUs.

I think they are closing in, AMD is still better though. We shall see what the future will bring.

Sparks
    Asus R5E, Intel Core i7 5960X
    Cascade cooling (-94C @550W)
    G.Skill DDR4 3600C15@4266MHz cas12 Nvidia GTX730, Samsung 850 Evo/OCZ Vertex 4
    and Seasonic Platinum 1200Wi, Dell Ultrasharp U2711 and 20-50 more systems...

Yeah, Intel is making an effort at improving Celerons now that there are lawsuits

Gimme a break. A little late in my book. Seriusoly, how long has the celeron been out? And they are just now trying to improve?!?
    looking for a 5GB Athlon

The fact that this particular incarnation of the Celeron performs better than it's predecessors is, in my view, incidental. Intel did not actively set out to make a better Celeron -- it is simply a Celeron based off the core of the current Pentium, as has always been the case with Celerons.

What makes this incarnation unique, however, is that it performs better than it's predecessor, while it's corresponding Pentium (Prescott) performs worse than it's own predecessor (Northwood) at the same clock speed. The bulk of this Celeron's performance boost comes from having double the L1 (16k) AND L2 (256k) cache and a 33% higher FSB (533 Mhz). The low FSB and tiny 128k L2 have held Celeron back for a long time, so it's no surprise that increasing these as much (percent wise) more than makes up for a longer pipeline and lower IPC. The Prescott P4 was hurt by this much more.

Again, Intel didn't have to do anything special, just make a Prescott core and *not* disable quite as much cache, and allow it to run at a higher FSB.

The title of this thread was "New Celeron Prescott D is much better", not "New Celeron Prescott D best thing since sliced bread". I don't think anyone here (myself included) would seriously consider buying a Celeron-based system. However, I just wanted to point out that Intel will sell Celerons, and people will buy them. Nothing wrong with that. Power users of course won't, but for the rest of the populace how much power do you really need to browse the Web, send email, IM, and download music? Maybe a few people who buy them will later feel like they've been cheated when their system won't run their latest game so well or what have you, but you get what you pay for. There's a reason P4 systems cost more, and there are AMD based systems for sale as well. An attentive buyer will notice this, and a respectable salesperson will explain the differences and let the customer know which will fit his or her needs.

Of course, we can't count on attentive buyers or respectable salespeople, but that's what we here are for. After all, would any of us here let someone we care about buy a system that we know won't do what they need it to do, or that won't last very long? You can't save the world -- you can only look out for your own and let the rest of the world take care of itself. Maybe you can argue that we shouldn't *have* to, but if it wasn't computers it would be something else. People have choices to make every day, and that's life.
    Shuttle AK31 rev. 3.1
    TBred-B XP2100 @ 2256 Mhz 1.70 V
    Vantec Aeroflow/3 case fans
    1 gig Crucial PC2700
    BFG Asylum GeForce FX 5700 Ultra (576/1000)
    Audigy2 ZS
    300W Antec PS
    1xCD, 1xCDRW, HD, Floppy
    Buncha wires and stuff...

Cool Re: New Celeron "Prescot" D is much better

Very well spoken!!!! I agree with all of your observations.
    Athlon 64 3200+ "ClawHammer" default speeds
    ASUS K8N-E Deluxe nForce 3 Pro 250
    Samsung 160GB HDD 7200 RPM
    Samsung 1GB PC-3200 DDR RAM
    PNY GeForce 6800 GT Forceware 61.77
    ASUS 48X CD
    HP DVD Writer 8X
    Sony 21-inch E500 monitor

Quote Originally Posted by Woogie
    The fact that this particular incarnation of the Celeron performs better than it's predecessors is, in my view, incidental. Intel did not actively set out to make a better Celeron -- it is simply a Celeron based off the core of the current Pentium, as has always been the case with Celerons.

What makes this incarnation unique, however, is that it performs better than it's predecessor, while it's corresponding Pentium (Prescott) performs worse than it's own predecessor (Northwood) at the same clock speed. The bulk of this Celeron's performance boost comes from having double the L1 (16k) AND L2 (256k) cache and a 33% higher FSB (533 Mhz). The low FSB and tiny 128k L2 have held Celeron back for a long time, so it's no surprise that increasing these as much (percent wise) more than makes up for a longer pipeline and lower IPC. The Prescott P4 was hurt by this much more.

Again, Intel didn't have to do anything special, just make a Prescott core and *not* disable quite as much cache, and allow it to run at a higher FSB.

The title of this thread was "New Celeron Prescott D is much better", not "New Celeron Prescott D best thing since sliced bread". I don't think anyone here (myself included) would seriously consider buying a Celeron-based system. However, I just wanted to point out that Intel will sell Celerons, and people will buy them. Nothing wrong with that. Power users of course won't, but for the rest of the populace how much power do you really need to browse the Web, send email, IM, and download music? Maybe a few people who buy them will later feel like they've been cheated when their system won't run their latest game so well or what have you, but you get what you pay for. There's a reason P4 systems cost more, and there are AMD based systems for sale as well. An attentive buyer will notice this, and a respectable salesperson will explain the differences and let the customer know which will fit his or her needs.

Of course, we can't count on attentive buyers or respectable salespeople, but that's what we here are for. After all, would any of us here let someone we care about buy a system that we know won't do what they need it to do, or that won't last very long? You can't save the world -- you can only look out for your own and let the rest of the world take care of itself. Maybe you can argue that we shouldn't *have* to, but if it wasn't computers it would be something else. People have choices to make every day, and that's life.
    yes very TRUE, I agree with everything you said. But when the sales person doesnt know the differance between a celeron and p4, it isnt good. I have been to best buy several times and helped their customers, they want me to work for them but I am too young. And i consider my self a n00b. Best Buy or usually any store people dont know what the hell they are talking about
    Phenom 9850 Black Edition @ 3.2GHz | Biostar 790gx | Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 4GB | Asus Radeon HD4870 512MB | Antec NeoHe 550 | Soyo 26" lcd