Question IDE Organization ? from nOOb

I am pretty much a nOOb and this is my first machine, but I do have a good understanding of the hardware side of the house. I am running a GA-7NNXP, which can support 8 IDE devices and 2 S-ATA. I have a high speed CD-RW/DVD ROM combo drive, a DVD+-RW drive, a 120gb Maxtor ATA-133 7200 RPM 8mb hard drive, and an 80gb Western Digital ATA-133 7200 RPM 8mb hard drive. My OS runs off 1 of my 2 Western Digital 10k Raptor 74gb Drives. The other is just for storage. What order should I have the IDE devices on the cables. I am going to use IDE channels 1 and 2 to save channels 3 and 4 for a 0+1 RAID array in the future. Should the hard drives be set as masters with a optical drive on each channel? Or should the hard drives and optical drives be together on the same channel? Does it matter which is the master (HDD or optical) or what? I am pretty much a nOOb, so feel free to break it down to the lowest common denominator for me. Thanks!

Rich

Re: IDE Organization ? from nOOb

Bump

Question Bump???

ok, what is bump?

Re: IDE Organization ? from nOOb

"Bump" is a way to move your post back up to the top so it is not lost without getting answers.

There are always exceptions to the rules. IF there are any. Really depends on how you use your system. We see alot of people team Hard drives together on a IDE channel and jumper them accordingly. Then putting the Opticals on the other IDE channel again setting the jumpers in Master\Slave. IF you Burn CDs on the Fly you may want to put a Optical on Each channel. In general HDDS with HDDS , Optical with Opticals.
    Last edited by themortarman; 06-25-2004 at 08:06 PM.

Which drive master?

thanks, I don't burn that many cd's, so I will probabally group like drives together. Does it matter which drive is master or slave? One drive is mostly my media files, and the other one is GameDrive images so I can run my games at hard drive speed and don't have to have CD's.