Question XP Pro install on friend's computer won't work? [Resolved]

One of my co-workers is trying to install WinXP Pro on an old AMD system (3-4 years old?) and is having trouble. He had XP Home running, but wanted Pro and a new hard drive. That is all he tried to do was add the new HD (ATA 100) and install XP Pro and it's not working. As far as I can tell by a bried phone message from him is he installed XP Pro and either it finished or almost finished and when he rebooted it wouldn't recognize the hard drive or just wouldn't get into XP Pro. He tried it with another hard drive (ATA33) and same resultI don't have his complete specs yet and don't know the specifics, but thought I'd post this anyway. I thought it might be the IDE cable, wrong Bios setting or maybe he isn't installing the VIA 4-in-1s at the right time. The fact that it didn't work with another HD and XP Pro might already have the 4-in-1s probably rules out my ideas 1 and 3 though. Although, maybe he needs to install an earlier version of the 4-in-1s for his older MB. Any ideas what's up?
    Last edited by BuiesCreek847; 07-08-2004 at 02:56 PM.
    Skaarj-laptop:Asus G750JW-NH71,Win8.1,Corei7-4700HQ,12GB DDR3 RAM,Nvidia GTX 765M 2GB,Realtek HD,TSST CDDVDW SN-208DN,WDC 750GB HD...
    SkaarjMasterDuo:WinXPSP3, Core2Duo E8600(Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P),Noctua NH-C12P,4GB Corsair XMS2 TWIN2X4096-8500C5 RAM,Nvidia EVGA GTX-750Ti 1GB,SB Audigy2 6.1,Klipsch 5.1 sats,Dayton sub,Pioneer VSX-819H-K rec,,Enermax 850W PSU,Lian-Li PC-71B full tower,Pioneer DVR-216D,BenQ DW1655,Asus E818A3T,2-1TB WD HDs.....
    Dragonslayer (at Mom's house now): WinXPSP3, P4 3.2GHz(Asus P4P800-Deluxe),Thermalright SLK-947U,3GB Corsair XMS PC3200 RAM,ATI Radeon 9800Pro 256MB,VGA Silencer,SB Audigy2 5.1,Seasonic 500W PSU,Silverstone FT01-B mid tower,LG DVD burner,Asus E616P3..
    Dragon1: (off for now, will not boot) Win98SE, AthlonXP 1900+(Soyo SY-K7V Dragon+),Thermalright AX-7, 512MB Crucial 2.5 DDR PC2100 SDRAM MSI GeF4Ti4400,SB AudigyGamer,Enermax 431W PSU...

Re: XP Pro install on friend's computer won't work?

One thing you might check, ask him if the old drive with windows is still hooked up. If so, ask him to unhook it and set the jumpers appropriately on the remaining (new) drive. Then try the install again. Just the one hard drive and the CD-rom.

Question Re: XP Pro install on friend's computer won't work?

Actually, he is using only the one new drive for now. A little more information I found out after talking to him tonight (he's e-mailing me the specs, but I haven't seen them yet), after the complete install he rebooted and set the Bios to boot the hard drive first and got a "hard disk failure". This happened with both hard drives (the new 80GB WD 8 MB cache and an old IBM 13.5 GB (from work, not his old one) that was working before). I'll get his computer specs to this thread ASAP.

well, he left on vacation without e-mailing me his specs. Anyone have any ideas on what I know so far?

I believe his MB is an old Biostar KT133 or KT266A, but not positive. Is it possible that XP Pro doesn't like these older motherboards?
    Last edited by SkaarjMaster; 06-29-2004 at 01:59 PM.

Unhappy Re: XP Pro install on friend's computer won't work?

Well, I was WAY OFF on the motherboard. He actually has a Shuttle A161, but he decided to just put the 98SE hard drive back in and give it to his son. He's ordering a new case, MB, CPU, HS, AS5, video card, case fans....I think that's it. Here's what he ordered (Antec 350W mid-tower, Asus P4C800-E-Deluxe, P4 3.0EE retail, Sapphire 9600XT, standard case fans). I believe he has all the other stuff for it already including a brand new Lite-On DVD burner (812S or something like that, it's 8X DVD-R and 8X DVD+R).

I guess he didn't want to f with it anymore. Me, I'd be messin' with it for a good deal while longer before I gave up, hehe.

Since you said he had been running XP-home so I doubt there was something in XP-pro that was stopping him (but I would bet anything on it). I would lean more toward his needing to flash his bios to the latest level, clear cmos, set bios to defaults, then try to install.

Like you, I think he gave up too quick.....

100% AMD ROG gaming system, thanks to AMD.

Thumbs up Re: XP Pro install on friend's computer won't work? [Resolved]

Just wanted to let people know, he's got his new system home and it's working great! See Ya.

Re: XP Pro install on friend's computer won't work? [Resolved]

Hi all,

SkaajMaster, me thinks your friend did give up to easy. (hey good excuse for a new rig)

I have the same board running now. Bios updates: AFAIK only 2 bios were released, Shuttle doesn't seem to be to good about old hardware. VIA 4in1 Drivers: Pretty sure the chipset is an AMD 751 (you wouldn't be able to install without an OS anyway.)

Sounds like he may have forgot to set the hard drive in his BIOS.

Has he had any other probs? A friend of mine has this board also, 1 IDE channel is burned out, but it's still cranking along.

My .02 worth

This thread is.... old

But I am glad it worked out

Sounds like that Shuttle might be one of those boards you have to set the HD to something else besides Auto in the bios. Something I remember doing for an old Gigabyte 440BX board (incidently, I gave him this one for his kids also, hehe) is setting the drive to Auto and then in another section on the same page making sure it was set to LBA. He's still using the Shuttle; I'll mention that to him. Thanks!