Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Re: Cascade XXX and 'Storm' info.

Quote Originally Posted by slavik
    another thing ... is it possible to make it one inlet and one outlet? like DangerDen did to their RBX?

*glances at picture above*

The Cascade blocks were one-inlet/one-outlet, just as the Storm block is.

Motherboard: Abit NF7-S Rev2.0, 2 x 256MB Corsair XMS3500C2 memory
    CPU:Barton XP2500+ @ 2.82GHz/2.15v, Cascade SS CPU waterblock
    Media: Seagate 60GB, Pioneer 16x DVD-ROM, Lite-On 24/10/40A CD-RW
    AGP/PCI Cards: Sapphire Radeon 9800Pro, nForce 2 NIC, nForce 2 on-board sound
    Case: Codegen S-201 server case, Antec 550W TruControl PSU
    Peripherals: Sony G400 19" Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by Cathar
    The black material is a special type of industrial plastic with very nice properties.
    Speaking of plastic - have you considered using the Eldon James barbs in place of brass/chrome?
    I have one for 1/2"ID tubing in hand and the fitting ID (as best as I can measure with 50+ year old eyes) is 11/32". I think EJ has got the right idea about barb shape (single barb with area behind it for the hose to "relax" back into its unstretched diameter).
    Oh - and, for parallel pipe threads at least, you can just cut the threaded portion to length with a sharp knife.
    Here's an Eldon James blurb

Sweet. I'm all for it... *goes out to look for a job, like the last 3 weeks*

Quote Originally Posted by bobkoure
    Speaking of plastic - have you considered using the Eldon James barbs in place of brass/chrome?
    You see, I'm a little hesitant about plastic barbs. People use hose-clamps, and it can be somewhat easy to crack a plastic barb by going nuts with the screw-driver. I've always had the best intention to build blocks that will last for a very long time, and plastic barbs, to me, makes me think of cracks and leaks for people who aren't careful.

Well... for me, plastic barbs are part of making something last for a long time. The idea is that the barb material should be softer than whatever it's screwed into, so if something fails, it's the $1 part not the fancy piece that would be expensive to replace if whoever was making them hadn't moved on to something else...
    I've used these in automotive (motorcycle, really) applications which, IMHO is a bit more demanding than watercooling (pressure, temperature, shear stress, vibration).
    I guess I'm OK personally so long as you use a female thread that I can get these for, but, given that I think these are actually better than brass I thought you might want to check 'em out.
    Bob

why not have an all copper block with the barbs welded into the top plate for a two-piece design ... like the silverprop blocks ...

why not have an all copper block with the barbs welded into the top plate for a two-piece design ... like the silverprop blocks ...
    $$$ extra for no performance increase

The idea is that the barb material should be softer than whatever it's screwed into, so if something fails, it's the $1 part not the fancy piece that would be expensive to replace
    Bob
    For me I'd rather have nothing fail...water on MB=bad. The top part of the storm is Delrin which is sort of a plyable plastic (sort of like nylon but with a more "greasy" feel to it like Teflon). It is very strong but and rigid enough for O-Ring sealing but is flexible enough that cracking it with a fitting would be very difficult. It also machines very easily. It is used for a wide range of products from automotive parts, to gears, to some Fender guitar picks. All in all a really good choice for the aplication.

Properties of Derlin

* Good dimensional stability and resistance to creep.
    * Good chemical resistance.
    * Good electrical insulating properties.
    * High tensile strength, stiffness, impact resistance, and fatigue endurance.
    * Good end-use temperature range.
    * Low friction coefficient

Mechanical properties include:

* 10,000 psi Tensile Strength.
    * 18,000 psi Compressive Strength (at Yield).
    * 450,000 psi Tensile Modulus
    * R120 Rockwell Hardness
    * 0.20 Sliding Coefficient of Friction (at 40 psi, 50 fpm)
    * 0.5% Deformation at 120 deg F, 2000 psi Load, for 24 Hours.
    * 5.8 x 10^5 in/hr-deg F Thermal Expansion.
    * 200 deg F Long Term Maximum Service Temperature.

Thanks for posting the details of Delrin jlr.ii

I guess I'm OK personally so long as you use a female thread that I can get these for, but, given that I think these are actually better than brass I thought you might want to check 'em out.
    Bob
    Bob - I'm sure you appreciate that once the end user gets involved, anything's possible. It's a calculated risk. I feel that by using Delrin on the top with brass barbs that I would be far less likely to have people coming back to me saying that something went wrong. If you want to pull out the brass barbs and put your own in, go ahead. They use 3/8" BSP thread.

Other reasons:

Can't nickel plate plastic barbs

People in general don't like plastic barbs (it's true). I know you like them, but ask 100 water-coolers what their preference would be, and from what I've seen, >90% of them would say that they prefer brass. If you asked them "What about in an Acrylic top", and more would probably say plastic barbs. Delrin is not acrylic or polycarbonate though - totally different tensile properties.

If anyone wanted a block without barbs, that would be fine with me.

It's so if people wanted to change the barbs - they can. I don't have access to every barb type under the sun in Australia's relatively small national market, so if people want a block without barbs to fit their own preferred barbs, they can do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cathar
    If you want to pull out the brass barbs and put your own in, go ahead. They use 3/8" BSP thread.
    looks like EJ do BSPT barbs..... i guess we'll have to wait till the design is public before we know if they're likely to need cutting down .....

Quote Originally Posted by pauldenton
    looks like EJ do BSPT barbs..... i guess we'll have to wait till the design is public before we know if they're likely to need cutting down .....
    There's 11mm of thread in the top to play with, which is enough for me to put in the brass barbs that I use without cutting them down.

so is that pic at the top of the page what the thing is actually going to look like? i hope not, seems a little too much like something i'd make

Trust me, I do science
    My Hardware, Past and Present

I don't care what they look like - form follows function.

Quote Originally Posted by Activate: AMD
    so is that pic at the top of the page what the thing is actually going to look like? i hope not, seems a little too much like something i'd make
    Well, it'll be cleaner, lined up properly, and most likely with nickel plated (silver) barbs. For most systems (except AMD Socket A) the top of the block that you see there will be covered with an aluminium mounting bracket.

Once you put the springs, nuts and tubing and clamps on a block - how many of you can actually see much of the block anyway?