Question Safely remove hardware for RAID drives?

Hi all,

Just put together my new 64 rig after waiting an eternity for the K8N Neo ( I live in Australia ). I built a RAID 0 striping array out of 2 80GB SATA Segate drives and installed windows XP on to the array. I used both drivers from the floppy at the blue screen bit of windows setup.

Now that windows is installed I get the little green arrow thing to "safely remove hardware" like you get when you plug in a memory stick or something. When I click on it, it shows the 2 segate drives. The array isworking fine, otherwise i wouldn't be in windows at all, but I wan't to know how to get rid of the "remove hardware" message.

Any one else had this come up??

BTW installing the nforce drivers didn't get rid of it.

Thanks in advance!
    My System Specs:
    AMD Athlon64 3000+
    MSI K8N Neo Platinum
    2x 512MB Corsair XMS 3700
    2x Seagate SATA 80GB in RAID 0
    60GB Seagate Backup Drive
    Pioneer DVD Drive
    LG DVD Burner
    SB Live 5.1 DE
    550W Antec True Power PSU
    Lian Li V1000 Case
    Windows XP Pro with SP1

Re: Safely remove hardware for RAID drives?

I don't recall this happening on mine. Not sure why it would show there either. However, if you want to hide it:

Right click your Taskbar and click on Properties.

On the Taskbar tab, click on Customize for Hide Inactives. In side there you'll be able to set that icon to 'Always Hide' instead of 'Hide When Inactive'. The problem with this is that you have to have Hide Inactives on. I always have that turned off myself.

isnt SATA hot swappable?

Quote Originally Posted by nckorn
    isnt SATA hot swappable?
    Well, it "can" be but using in RAID 0 with the operating system stored on the array I would think that it's not really an option. I was under the impression that SATA hot swapping required specific hardware or certain hot swap approved hardware (like the drive controller) but I could be wrong about that. I'm positive that my XP Pro system doesn't show this option with my SATA RAID 0 array.
    Last edited by KeGo; 07-08-2004 at 02:41 PM. Reason: information change

That icon will vanish on its own in short time. No worries mate.

i only got it when i bought the chaintech vnf3-250. on my kt6 i never had that come up. i know its a feature of sata so i just figured thats why it came up. maybe this chipset supports it or something

My msi k8n platinum board has the same exact thing within windows. On another forum someone explained to me because they are hotswapplable they will always show up like that. Wether or not that is true or not does not matter. Just wanted to let you know that this is common and happens to everyone i have talked to with raid and a mis k8n neo platinum. Also they will not go away in short time like told to you earlier in this post. Hide inactive icons may turn on then it will be hidden from windows and if you need to access if you just click on the arrow to expand it. I have looked for a solution to remove this but everyone i have talked to says do not remove this cause it can screw up your raid not to mention that noone knew how to get rid of it anyways. Hope this helps you out.

Justin
    Amd 64 3400 "ClawHammer"
    Msi K8n nforce 3-250
    1 gig mushkin lvl pc3200
    Evga 6800 Ultra
    SB Audigy 2 Zs
    2 80 gig maxtor sata Raid 0 "striping 16k"
    Antec Tru-blue 480 watt

Thanks for the replies all, seems like it is there to stay - at least for a while
    I just didn't want it appearing because I use a usb hdd to transfer files to and from work and i like just being able to click the icon and have the USB drive the only thing to remove.

I just wanted to know that I was not the only one that has had this come up! It might have something to do with hot swap, but as mentioned my OS is on the RAID stripe so neither of those drives are going anywhere!! :P

I will have to have a bit more of a look around - maybe SP2 might do the trick?

If anyone has any other suggestions, I would appreciate any info.

BTW, should you install the nvidia IDE SW driver or stick with the MS ones? I have heard different stories including "install the SW drivers, reboot, then roll back" ??

Many thanks again!
    My System Specs:
    AMD Athlon64 3000+
    MSI K8N Neo Platinum
    2x 512MB Corsair XMS 3700
    2x Seagate SATA 80GB in RAID 0
    60GB Seagate Backup Drive
    Pioneer DVD Drive
    LG DVD Burner
    SB Live 5.1 DE
    550W Antec True Power PSU
    Lian Li V1000 Case
    Windows XP Pro with SP1

Ya, the "safety remove hardware" icon also poped up on mine EPoX 8KDA3+ nf3 250 board when I installed 2x40G raptor in raid 0. At first I was kinda confused, then recalled this thread and took a look at the posts. I guess I will just wait for a while and let it go away by itself.