Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Re: Asus K8N-E DELUXE IN-STOCK at ZipZoomFly

Asus doesn't even have bios support STILL! What's up with this Mobo?? Very strange!
    I'm Rick James Biatch!

Quote Originally Posted by Zevil
    Asus doesn't even have bios support STILL! What's up with this Mobo?? Very strange!
    I read that it's Golden Week at ASUS, which basically means they are all on holiday.
    The via socket 939 board was the same though. The files appeared on the ASUS website a couple of days after people on here had the board.

The motherboard is 3 Phase but I'm having a hard time seeing a Brand name on the caps by the Socket. They are Green colored capacitors but I can't read any brand. I'll keep on trying. BTW this is a version 1.04 motherboard.

ASUS used to use Rubycon and Nichicon.

It's very small writting

Quote Originally Posted by UK_Bloke
    I read that it's Golden Week at ASUS, which basically means they are all on holiday.
    The via socket 939 board was the same though. The files appeared on the ASUS website a couple of days after people on here had the board.
    I just can't buy until I see some signs that this board is ok.. I want this mobo so bad.. it's going to kick but with my new 6800 GT (when I find it)
    I'm Rick James Biatch!

Well I'm having a few problems so far.

The Locks for AGP/PCI do work, was at 220Htt and clockgen was still showing 66/33. So thats a good start.

Main problem I think I'm having is that the Vddr only goes up to 2.7v. Now at stock 200Htt i can run 2,2,2,5 on the BH5. But go up to 220Htt and windows won't load.

If I lower it to 2,3,3,7 still at 2.7v windows will load but will crash after a few mins.

Now I know that ram is good. Was doing 2,2,2,5 at 250 Mhz FSB in the DFI Infinity, that was with 3.1v tho on the ram.

Apart from that, the bios all seems fine, all options work. 1 Problem is that you can't adjust the cpu ratio or vcore without first enabling Cool and Quiet???

200Htt in the bios shows 201 in clockgen, so running at 2210Mhz all the time. And also at 200Htt in the bios clockgen is showing the APG as 58 and the PCI as 33. Only when I put it up to 220Htt does clockgen show 66/33??

I'll keep trying, but it looks like a new bios with a few tweaks, and also some more Vddr is needed.

Is it possible to give more voltage to the ram with a bios update? Of am i looking at a vddr mod of some sort? Or also when is that OCZ ddr voltage tweaker type thingy out?

Had only 1 strange restart, was to do with the ram timings I think. Also had a close shave with some sort of bios checksum problem - but it was the X800 bios tho??? not the mobo bios? Cleared cmos and it was fine and not seen it again - was when I tried 230Htt tho.

Nick

could you please give us somemore impressions of the board? perhaps some good impressions. There are some of us who are relying on these "reviews"

Thanks!
    I'm Rick James Biatch!

Well at stock it's running very nice indeed. With a 3400+ and an X800 Pro - also at stock, I'm getting 24200 in 3dMark01 - 500 point increase from the Asus K8V Se Deluxe.

The nVidia Raid seems alright, but on a 30Gb partition it took about 2-3 mins to format it, which is still good, but the same hard drives and same size partition on the Via onboard raid did the format in about 4 seconds literally. Had to do it 3 times to make sure I'd not pressed quick format.

The board layout is fine, apart from the 2x S-ata ports in the middle of the the board. The board now has the usual blue asus heatsink on the chipset rather than the boring black on in the pics.

My board says Rev 1.04 on the pcb, and the bios is version 1001, so definalty first release.

Bundled stuff is the usual, ribbon type IDE and floppy, you also get 4x S-ata data cables, and 4x S-ata power adaptors to match.

I've managed to now get the AGP and PCI totally locked at 66.69/33.34 and they definatly stay locked when upping the HTT speed. I'm still having problems getting stable now at 220HTT. I've locked the DDR speed at 200 and also 166 to see if it was the ram as I thought, but still had the same problems.

The K8V Se Del was fine at 220HTT with the ram in sync at 2,2,2,5 - that was using 2.8v, so I'm now almost sure it's not the ram holding me back. Going to check the bios again now for any other options I've missed or not got set right.

Will report back if anything else changes. Anything specific anyone wants to know, just ask and i'll most certainly answer if I can.

Nick

You have to understand A64's don't love BH-5's like Athlon XP's do. High-frequency RAM (PC4000+) is what A64's like.

I think the main point I was making was that the ram was fine at 220HTT, 2,2,2,5 with 2,8v on the K8V, so it should be fine on this K8N-E at the same speeds.

As it's not stable at 220HTT, it leads me to believe it's not the ram or lack of Vddr thats the problem, which is what I first though.

It's PC3500 I've got, and I'd already thought some new ram may be in order if I want to be hitting 250HTT and above.

Cheers

Nick

what voltage options does the board have? you can only adjust the multi in cool and quiet, that sucks doesn't it?
    I'm Rick James Biatch!

Quote Originally Posted by Zevil
    what voltage options does the board have? you can only adjust the multi in cool and quiet, that sucks doesn't it?

If thats true...yes it does suck!!!!

And it figures newegg would be 10 bucks cheaper

edit: mine will be here monday

Voltage options are:

Cpu - 1.45 - 1.85
    DDR - 2.5, 2.6, 2.7
    AGP - 1.5, 1.7

If you have cool and quiet turned off, the setting for vcore and multiplier dissapear. Turn it on and they are there in the cpu config section.

Nick

Is there an option for chipset voltage? Also, try your ram at looser timings. Try CAS 2.5 or even 3. something like 2.5-3-3-8 or even 3-4-4-10, just to be sure the RAM isn't holding you back. Although, with BH-5 chips you may need more VDIMM to get much higher than you are no matter the timings. If this will get you a higher FSB, I am sure your performance will improve over the lower FSB with tighter timings. It has been shown by several people that timings do not make nearly as much of a difference with an A64.

Right

I've admitted defeat with this board, it's just not stable - even at stock speeds. I've tried looser timings but it seems to have the exact same results.

I've requested an RMA - unsatisfactory product.

Can't see the point of having another board sat doing nothing which is rock solid stable, and is actually giving better overclocking results, and also wasting another 100 on this K8N-E. If I return it now I can get a full refund, and can always buy it again at a later date after a few bios revisions - if they prove successful, or even if they release a Se version.

Might have to wait for the DFI offering and see how that goes.

Back to the K8V-SE Del for now then.

Nick