Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Re: Asus K8N-E DELUXE IN-STOCK at ZipZoomFly

Hi NemesisNG!

I sent you a private message yesterday. I'd really appreciate it if you could get back to me on this! Sorry to hear about your problems with the board, though!

Thanks in advance!
    mbf
    ''Trying is the first step towards failure.'' - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by NemesisNG
    Right

I've admitted defeat with this board, it's just not stable - even at stock speeds. I've tried looser timings but it seems to have the exact same results.

I've requested an RMA - unsatisfactory product.

Can't see the point of having another board sat doing nothing which is rock solid stable, and is actually giving better overclocking results, and also wasting another 100 on this K8N-E. If I return it now I can get a full refund, and can always buy it again at a later date after a few bios revisions - if they prove successful, or even if they release a Se version.

Might have to wait for the DFI offering and see how that goes.

Back to the K8V-SE Del for now then.

Nick
    WOW! Really returning it hey? That's too bad. Sorry to hear that it wasn't what it should be. I guess those of us who waited, might have waited for nothing afterall. Oh well, It sure would be nice to get an official review from a website or something. I wonder when that will happen?
    I'm Rick James Biatch!

Yeah, I'm really gutted to be honest. I saw pics and specs of the board back from CeBit, and have been after it since then. As you know it was on the Asus site for 3 months or more before it's now available.

Going to order the Abit KV8 -Pro - I had this board when it first came out and did a review of it - ended up returning that board back then.

But the new Revision 1.1, and with the new 1.5 bios says it has locked AGP as standard, and that the multiplier is available to change. The two problems I returned it for.

Will post how I get on.

Nick

You really should wait for other peoples opinions on this before making a buying decision! While I appreciate NemesisNG comments on his motherboard and have no doubt he had problems there could be lots of reasons for his problems. He could be having some type of hardware conflict, a bad motherboard or it could be a number of other factors. Wait until a few more people install this, it should only be a few more days. I'm getting my CPU tomorrow but it may be closer to midweek before its installed. This is my 4th Asus board over the years and I've never owned an unstable one. Just my opinion and .02

Quote Originally Posted by Zevil
    WOW! Really returning it hey? That's too bad. Sorry to hear that it wasn't what it should be. I guess those of us who waited, might have waited for nothing afterall. Oh well, It sure would be nice to get an official review from a website or something. I wonder when that will happen?
    Last edited by dirtrat; 07-18-2004 at 12:10 PM.

Wise comments indeed.

I had told myself that after having problems with the Abit I had and returned, I was going to wait a while for some feedback on the new Asus one before buying.

Just couldn't resist : But again if we all waited for feedback, nobody would every buy one, so swings and roundabouts really.

I've already heard of one other person having worse problems than myself with the K8N-E - started out the same issues as me and now it will not post at all, totally dead.

Will be good to get a wider view tho, once a few moare people have had them.

Nick

what is so special about this mobo ?
    DFI NFI4 ULTRA-D // OPTY 146 CABYE 0540
    FPBW @ 2900 1.413V
    2*512MB OCZ VX 3200 @ 250 2-2-2-8 3.2V
    Tagan 480w // SAPPHIRE X800 GTO2
    Zalman 7000B-ALCU // 618-2 bios

Should have been an amazingly stable and overclock friendly board.

From the specs it listed Locked AGP/PCI busses - which it has.

But the lack of Vddr is not helpful, but the 1.85v max vcore is great.

Good feature list, including the nVidia inbuilt firewall, and 8 channel sound.

Also Asus have made some very good stable boards, so this should have followed.

I've had a bit more of a play and it does now seem stable at stock speeds, so it's looking up already, but anything over 210 HTT is flakey to say the least.

Still going to return it, I want a board to overclock, and at the moment this is not it.

Nick

I wonder if it just doesn't like your memory? I know you have BH5 OCZ but maybe this motherboard is finiky with certain brands. Could you try other memory? Also you said its not even stable at stock speeds now. Was it stable at stock speeds before with everything in the BIOS at default settings? You might try clearing the CMOS. I'm putting Mushkin 2 X 512 PC3200 222 Special (BH6) in mine but always have an option of swapping memory with my other computer that has 1 Gig of Corsair VE in it. I'll be pissed if this thing isn't stable after all this wait. My other computer has a A64 3200+ with a MSI K8N Neo Platinum and its ROCK steady so far.

Quote Originally Posted by NemesisNG
    Should have been an amazingly stable and overclock friendly board.

From the specs it listed Locked AGP/PCI busses - which it has.

But the lack of Vddr is not helpful, but the 1.85v max vcore is great.

Good feature list, including the nVidia inbuilt firewall, and 8 channel sound.

Also Asus have made some very good stable boards, so this should have followed.

I've had a bit more of a play and it does now seem stable at stock speeds, so it's looking up already, but anything over 210 HTT is flakey to say the least.

Still going to return it, I want a board to overclock, and at the moment this is not it.

Nick

As I said, after a bit more playing, it is now stable at stock speeds, seems fine actually.

I've only got 1 other stick of ram available, 256Mb of Kingston 333mhz stuff. I've just tried that and had the same issues exactly, so I'm not 100% but I really think it's not related to the ram.

1 Problem I have also now seen is that the speed of the ram cannot be locked at 266/333/400 as the bios option states. On post it will say DDR Speed 400Mhz, but then in clockgen at 220Htt it also states the Ram is at 220 also. The same with the Kingston stick, that was up to 186 or something.

Considering that my OCZ is PC3500 at 220 is should be fine, I think I'm right in saying that PC3500 is DDR433 (217mhz), so still I'm not convinced it's the ram.

Nick

NemesisNG: First of all, I appreciate you being the guinea pig . I didn't notice if you answered my quesiton about the chipset voltage, but does this board support chipset voltage adjustment? Also, the behavior you are describing about the ram is quite standard, if you select DDR400, the ram frequency will scale 1:1 with the HTT frequency (ie. 220MHZ and 220MHZ not 220MHZ and 200MHZ). If you were to select DDR333, then the situation would be something like thisthe actual ram multiplier and speed may be a bit off) 220HTT @ DDR333 limit, 10X multi.: CPU:2200MHZ, HTT: CPU/10: 220MHZ, RAM: CPU/12: 182MHZ. The system will determine what the ram speed should be according to the ratio of the HTT and ram speed selected. Then the CPU selects a whole number multiplier for the ram based on: A. CPU frequency ,B. HTT frequency and C. Max RAM frequency selected.

Quote Originally Posted by mdaniel
    I've waited this long to make the jump from socket A to and A64, and I must continue to resist until an nforce 939 board comes out.

Must...resist...the...urge...to...click...CHECKOUT!

This is as bad as waiting for a baby to be born, the 939 processors are out, but where are the $150 939 motherboards?
    My thoughts EXACTLY!!! I'm still waiting for the NF III 250GB chip to be THOROUGHLY put to use in a motherboard. I want ALL the features of the chipset and nothing running off any add-on controllers (i.e. crappy SI SATA controllers).

Quote Originally Posted by Jubei
    My thoughts EXACTLY!!! I'm still waiting for the NF III 250GB chip to be THOROUGHLY put to use in a motherboard. I want ALL the features of the chipset and nothing running off any add-on controllers (i.e. crappy SI SATA controllers).
    I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. All boards that use the nForce3 250gb chip actually use all the features the chip has. First of all, there's only "half" of the GbE feature in the chip, namely the MAC part. Granted it's the most important "half", but an external PHY (the physical transceiver that does all of the signalling) is still needed. That's the reason you see brand names like Marvell, Cicada or ICS listed along the nForce3 250gb chipset. So as long as the word PHY is mentioned alongside the nForce3 250gb (or *higher*) LAN capabilities, the internal GbE and firewall are used.

Secondly the ATA/RAID feature; the nForce3 250gb apparently can control 6 ATA devices. These devices can be either SATA or (good old) PATA. PATA is still the prevailing standard so the manufacturers have chosen to dedicate 4 of the devices to PATA (primary master, primary slave, secondary master and secondary slave) and the last 2 devices are for SATA, which only has one device per connector (no master or slave). Now, because of that, most manufacturers have decided to throw in an extra SATA chip, usually one from Silicon Image. They are actually very good; their only drawback is that they are PCI devices.

I'm pretty sure as SATA becomes the prevailing standard this will change and, if anything, PATA will run off external chips.

I hope this clears things up a bit.
    ''Trying is the first step towards failure.'' - Homer Simpson

I believe the MSI K8n Neo2 uses 4 SATA that run off of the chipset and not on any addtl pci controller.

hey guys, i've been reading this thread daily and have been waiting to hear good news about this board. Especially since i have already ordered this. It should be here sometime the end of the week, so i will give my input on this as well. I will be running this with a 3000+ and pc4000 kingmax ram, so that will help to see if its the board or the memory

Luckily i ordered it at zipzoomfly, the next day i saw that they had dropped the price, and my favorite store Newegg.com had offered it as well. I cancelled and re-oredered the next day So that delayed it coming by a day or two.

Right, another change of plans/heart...

As there's still confusion over the Abit board, not getting any great gaurentees on which board revision I'd get, I'm holding off on that idea.

I've gone against everything I've said and ordered some new ram... Corsair XMS4400PT 1Gb (2x512mb) Might as well try it

I truly want this Asus board to work, so I'm gonna try this ram, being both a different brand, and also much higher speed - says it'll do 3,4,4,8 at 275mhz with only 2.75v. Considereing I've only got 2.7v to play with I should still see 250mhz I'm sure - if it's the ram thats the problem. Shame I'm going from 2,2,2,5 timings to 3,4,4,8 - but I've seen a few reports that the timings are not so influencial on the A64 systems as they were on the XP's. We'll see.

Fingers Crossed... As always I'll post as soon as I have any news, should be wednesday or thursday.

Nick