Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Re: Asus K8N-E DELUXE IN-STOCK at ZipZoomFly

Any mobo that ships with the 1001 bios is going to have problems...but ...when will Asus come out with a new bios is the problem

Mine came in today (K8N) and as I suspected my Cpu died with the mobo(K8V and lightning doesnt mix ) it wont do nothing at all...soooo I ordered a 3400+ @2.4ghz to replace my cpu

Anyone running a Newcastle 3400+?

OK, got my CPU from Monarchcomputer.com today and this is the description when I ordered the CPU:

AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 512K (754) (Retail Box-w-Fan)

Looks like a Newcastle right? Only problem is on the Outside of the box it says OPERATES at 2200 Mhz. Damn, looks like they sent me a Clawhammer! Damn them!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm tired of waiting and I'm not going to send it back at this point. I'm starting to put my system togather tonight and will let everyone know my impressions when finished. I'm only planning on doing mild overclocking on my system though.

well, i bit the bullet and ordered and K8N Neo... i really wish that things would have sped up with this asus board, but I think they are going to be fairly close once asus relieves itself of it's growing pains.

..oh, also ordered a eVGA 6800GT
    I'm Rick James Biatch!

BIOS UPDATE AVAILABLE!!!

http://www.asus.it/support/download/...K8N-E%20Deluxe

All drivers now posted on the site, along with bios 1002 - no details as to what it does tho - but will try when I get home.

I'm very impressed at how fast this bios has been updated, hope it fixes some of the problems, my faith in Asus can then be restored, heres hoping...

Nick
    Last edited by NemesisNG; 07-21-2004 at 08:23 AM.

Somehow I knew 2 days after I ordered that there would be a bios update on this board.. such is life.
    I'm Rick James Biatch!

Quote Originally Posted by mbf
    Secondly the ATA/RAID feature; the nForce3 250gb apparently can control 6 ATA devices. These devices can be either SATA or (good old) PATA. PATA is still the prevailing standard so the manufacturers have chosen to dedicate 4 of the devices to PATA (primary master, primary slave, secondary master and secondary slave) and the last 2 devices are for SATA, which only has one device per connector (no master or slave). Now, because of that, most manufacturers have decided to throw in an extra SATA chip, usually one from Silicon Image. They are actually very good; their only drawback is that they are PCI devices.

I'm pretty sure as SATA becomes the prevailing standard this will change and, if anything, PATA will run off external chips.

I hope this clears things up a bit.
    That's not correct. NForce3-250 chipset does support up to 4 Native SATA and 2 IDE channels (which supports 4 IDE devices). The only board that fully utilizes NF3-250 native support is MSI K8N Neo Plat whose 4 SATA are supported by NF3-250 chipset instead of other board's SI 3114 chip. I.E. EPoX 8KDA3+/j has 2 SATA from NF3-250, and 4 SATA from SI 3114, same with Asus K8N Delux, 2 SATA from NF3-250, 4 SATA from SI 3114.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by NemesisNG
    BIOS UPDATE AVAILABLE!!!

http://www.asus.it/support/download/...K8N-E%20Deluxe

All drivers now posted on the site, along with bios 1002 - no details as to what it does tho - but will try when I get home.

I'm very impressed at how fast this bios has been updated, hope it fixes some of the problems, my faith in Asus can then be restored, heres hoping...

Nick

Thats awsome dude!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE give a update on what it does.

Tell me you get more dimm voltage and I can turn off Cool&Quiet and so I can OC the hell out of this 3400+ when I get it
    Last edited by OneCool; 07-21-2004 at 01:28 PM.

USELESS!!!!!

Right, the file on the site is the wrong size, and will not update the bios, the windows based tool just crashes, and the dos one errors about the size.

So I had a look around and found this:

ftp://ftp.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock754/K8N-E_DX/

There is a Bios 1003 on there!!!

Updated to that no problems at all - used the windows based tool.

Not a thing has changed - not a single different option, setting, or value.

It even seems less stable to me as I'm getting the raid service error at stock speeds - which I was getting at 220Htt before when I had the problems overclocking.

I've checked all the options to make sure I'm not missing anything, but I'm sure.

Nick
    Last edited by NemesisNG; 07-21-2004 at 02:05 PM.

DAMN THAT SUX!!!!!!

I'm not having any problems with mine so far. I finished the install last night and have a 3400+ and RAID 0 with two 74 Gig Raptors. My BFG 6800GT is being delivered Friday. Installation went real well except for a couple minor problems (My Fault) setting up the RAID. The board layout seems well thought out except for the Firewire connection on the board for the expansion firewire port. Its between the rear backplate and the PCI slots. If you mount the firewire expansion right next to that connector it's fine, otherwise you have to route the cable over one or more PCI cards. I'm going to try some minor overclocking later in the week.

FINALLY! Finally ASUS has decided to release the files for this board! Funny thing is, I looked earlier today and there was nada, just like every other time I've checked...

Anyway, I had a look at the manual. Thorough as always; it's what you expect from ASUS. One note has me at a loss though. The manual mentions several times that for CnQ to work, one must use the "official" AMD chip/thermal solution with a monitor chip. Can anyone elaborate on this? I've been looking forward to CnQ "Deluxe" courtesy of a Zalman 7000-AlCu with a bit of QFan2 thrown in. "All my dreams, torn asunder?" to paraphrase an episode title from my favorite sci-fi show.

Well, at least both the manual and the different BIOS versions confirm ECC support, my *must have* feature.

By the way, the 1001 and 1002 BIOS versions are easily fixed. Somehow ASUS techs managed to 2 extra bytes containing the value 0 at the end of the BIOS files. Easily fixed with a hex editor. Let me know if anyone wants a copy or a more detailed description how to do it yourself.

Now, the only thing I'm still missing are some good reviews for this board, because at the moment this is the only feasible A64 board for me (mostly because of the ECC support)...

GIMME, GIMME... I NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED!!!!
    ''Trying is the first step towards failure.'' - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by geneh_00
    That's not correct. NForce3-250 chipset does support up to 4 Native SATA and 2 IDE channels (which supports 4 IDE devices). The only board that fully utilizes NF3-250 native support is MSI K8N Neo Plat whose 4 SATA are supported by NF3-250 chipset instead of other board's SI 3114 chip. I.E. EPoX 8KDA3+/j has 2 SATA from NF3-250, and 4 SATA from SI 3114, same with Asus K8N Delux, 2 SATA from NF3-250, 4 SATA from SI 3114.

I believe you to be correct. And that was what I meant when I said I want a board with all the 250gb features enabled directly off the chip and not using some add-on pci controller. The MSI K8N Neo2 is nowhere to be seen though

Right

I've flashed back to bios 1001 from the motherboard cd. Straight away the Raid srevice problem stopped, so it's definatly a problem with that 1003 bios.

I made perfectly sure that the settings were identical in both bioses.

One thing I did notice (I think) was that with the 1001 - the nVidia raid version on the post screen was 4.47, but with the newer 1003 bios the nVidia raid version was 4.43. I'm sure thats what it said.

So it could just be that causing problems with the raid service in windows with the new version. The rest of the bios may be better or more stable. I'm just used to seeing the Raid service error when I had overclocked too far - maybe this is just because an incompatable raid bios version??

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Jubei
    Quote Originally Posted by geneh_00

I believe you to be correct. And that was what I meant when I said I want a board with all the 250gb features enabled directly off the chip and not using some add-on pci controller. The MSI K8N Neo2 is nowhere to be seen though
    Well, according to this page at nVidia's site the 250gb (and higher) uses:

- Integrated SATA PHY with support for two drives**
    - Digital SATA interface for external PHY with support for two drives**

which translates that only 2 SATA devices can be connected to the chipset itself, while an additional 2 SATA devices can be connected via an external PHY (not to be confused with the networking PHY) but are controlled by the chipset.

Additionally the page states that: Each interface supports two devices, for support for up to six devices

By interface they mean the built-in SATA, the external SATA and the ATA133 (PATA) interfaces. Now, as I previously wrote ATA133 has a primary and a secondary interface each capable of handling 2 devices, which adds up to 4 ATA133 devices. That leaves 2 devices for SATA.

I'm not quite sure how these features are implemented on the MSI K8N Neo2 since MSI is pretty vague on this, but with the above restrictions in mind I can only see two possible solutions without adding an extra fullblown SATA chip. One solution would be to only use 1 ATA133 interface (for 2 devices, master & slave) and use the remaining 4 device "slots" for the internal SATA controller and an additional external SATA PHY. The other solution would be to somehow combine both solutions and create a BIOS option to enable/disable one of the ATA133 interfaces while simultaneously enabling/disabling the external SATA PHY. Either way, the chipset can only control (S)ATA 6 devices, according to nVidia.

I might be wrong, though...
    ''Trying is the first step towards failure.'' - Homer Simpson