Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Re: Post Asus K8N-E DELUXE Comments\Results Here

Thanks for the heads up. Just downloaded it and emailed it home so can try it when I get back.

Will post with any info, if there is any..

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by NemesisNG
    Can solve that one for you mate....

When you press F6 you get two items to load

Nvidia raid class controller
    nvidia storage class controller

You need to load both, not just the raid one. So press s to load a driver and choose the first one, then press s again to select and load the second one.

thsen in the partition screen it will show up as 1 single drive.

Took me ages to sort that one out.

Nick

Worked like a CHARM bro thanks alot So far (for me anyway) the nvidia raid is faster than the sil3114

Hey Nem..post here if you see anything good in the beta 1003.5 bios...my guess is not much different than the other beta's
    but I hope i'm wrong

finally reading some positive results.. I'll be watching this thread for a while. I've been finally contemplating building the first AMD rig for my own personal use and would like to know if anyone wouldn't mind helpin me out with a lil test doing a lil DivX compression. sorry to be OT but if anyone wouldn't mind among these other things this could really help me alot cause this motherboard is a candidate for 1 of my 2 ideal setups.

Quote Originally Posted by OneCool
    Worked like a CHARM bro thanks alot So far (for me anyway) the nvidia raid is faster than the sil3114

Hey Nem..post here if you see anything good in the beta 1003.5 bios...my guess is not much different than the other beta's
    but I hope i'm wrong
    Nice 1 mate!! I've found the nVidia raid to be a million times faster than the Si chip. Using hdtach to bench the setups, both using the same size partitions and stripe size, the average read speed of the nVidia is 110mb/s and the SI is ony 30mb/s - a huge difference.

Put the bios on last night, again nothing new in way of options that I can see. Not tried overclocking again yet, but will have a go tomorrow and see how it goes.

Nick

Just tried the old overclocking again, still the same. I can get stable at 210HTT, and also got 1 3dMark01 run at 215HTT, but now 215 will crash during benchmark runs.

So there you go. It's definatly stable, very stable, at stock speeds, but there's not much room for overclocking. Just got to wait for the next bios release and try again then

Nick

I cant overclock at all on this board without using Asus's AI thing

enabled C&Q still no individual increments on the FSB or the AGP

I want my K8V back....cuz this board sucks

Atleast with the K8V I could hit 230fsb without any problems

The board DOESN'T suck at stock speeds but I agree I've had little success even with mild overclocking even though I wasn't planning on overclocking anyway. Has anyone replaced the heatsink on the chipset on this motherboard? What are you using? I'd like to put a small fan on it.

Quote Originally Posted by OneCool
    I cant overclock at all on this board without using Asus's AI thing

enabled C&Q still no individual increments on the FSB or the AGP

I want my K8V back....cuz this board sucks

Atleast with the K8V I could hit 230fsb without any problems

My chipset is watercooled

Im tring the Abit KV8 pro...it cant be any worse than this board

just hope like hell its a revision 1.1

Bios Update - 1003 Release

http://www.asuscom.de/pub/ASUS/mb/so...X/K8ne1003.zip

1. Support AMD Sempron 3100+ CPU.
    2. Add a select item to enable FID/VID adjustment.
    3. Fix the problem that some CPU will be stable when enabled cool and quiet function.
    4. Fix overclock fail issue during resume from S4 if the system ever enter S3.

Impressions

You can now indeed change the multiplier and vcore without having to first enable Cool and Quiet. Also the multiplier selcetion is now in the 8x, 9x, 10x, 11x format and not the 1900, 2000, 2100, 2200 type.

They have, however, reduced the vcore available from 1.85v down to a max of 1.75v. The lower limit has dropped from 1.475v to 1.375v. So basically they have just shifted the entire volt range down by 0.1v

Apart from that, all seems the same. Unfortunatly that also applies to the overclocking results. I can still only get stable at 214HTT no matter what other settings I use for ram timings, voltages etc.

I really thought they had cracked it, point 3 in the fix list seems to be worded incorrectly, thought it should say they have fixed the problem that come CPU's will be UNstable when C+Q was enabled. So the fact you no longer have to have it enabled for multi/vcore adjustment combined with that should have really helped.

Again, we wait for bios 1004....

Nick

Heya guys... I'm having problems with 1003... I can get the system to boot, but when i restart or reset, the MB looses my 2nd SATA drive. So, basically, from power on, it finds the drive, and everything boots fine. If i restart or hard reboot, the bios can't find the 2nd drive anymore. Went back to 1001, and the problem went away.

Of course i have simular problems with 1001 as Nemesis, and the memory.

I'm using Mushkin PC3200 Black level II, CAS 2 222 ram.

I did get the system to run stable with 3dmark2k1 for 12+hours at CAS 3, 3-3-6.

Other settings, lower would crash out sooner, usually several hours.

Anyway, its been awhile since i've went to AMD, and this isn't building confidence, and I'm not even trying to OC yet.
    If it aint broke, it needs to be tweaked more...

ive tried oc at 220 seems fine but 240 just screws the bios and it goes through a thing where it reflashes it off the cd. OneCool how did you get your block on the NB. ive got a gc that sticks out next to the NB, so my dangerden z block wont fit. at the mo ive got a stick on NB cooler with a fan stuck to the top of the asus stock one, kinda lop sided to avoid the graphics card. i think asus up with the NB cooling big style, when i touched the NB, running the stock cooler, with my finger i nearly had to go and run my finger under a cold tap, it was hot. my first k8ne seemed to be dead out of the box and the NB was making some crackling noises. the replacement seems fine but has locked up a few times, and that was at stock speeds. now ive got the correct timmings for my OCZ EL pc-3500, and the extra cooling, it should be fine.
    Last edited by Cypher007; 08-05-2004 at 04:53 AM.
    amd64 xp3500+newcastle@2700mhz
    dd m3
    dd m4 gpu
    dd z-block (cant be bothered to re-fit it)
    2xKoolance HD waterblocks
    thermochill he120.2
    2xpnanflo 7v modded
    MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
    corsair pc4400 dual 512mb 1-2.5-4-10-4 (2.8v)
    Leadtek 6800 (pipes enabled)
    windows xp pro
    2xseagate sata 160gb raid 0
    Antec 480w Neo 2 psu
    pioneer DVR-108
    Plextor 40x12x40

I'm not having any issues with 1003 so far.

I'm done, more or less...

I've just upgraded my system from a P4 1.6@2.1GHz Northwood to an A64 3200+ Newcastle by swapping the mobo (ASUS P4B533-E -> ASUS K8N-E Deluxe) and the cpu. All other components are the same, including my 768MB of Kingston ECC DDR266 memory (256MB + 512MB) and everything runs perfect.

Had a couple of small hitches to begin with; the firewall acted up and the A64 was everything but "cool" and "quiet". I seem to have these issues worked out now. In CnQ mode at 1GHz/22W the cpu runs idle at 37c with the stock fan spinng at approx. 1700 rpm. That's due to QFan being enabled. There's a slight problem there as well. If QFan is enabled, upon cold boot the BIOS will throw a CPU fan error, since the fan won't start before the cpu is at least 35c hot.

At full speed/load the fan speeds up quite a bit, but temps stay below 50c. I can live with that for a while, until I figure out my Zalman 7000 dilemma...

Another quirk; if some items are set to Ignore in the BIOS hardware monitor menu, they cannot be measured by ASUS Probe (and probably all similar tools) in Windows. I was wondering if there was a problem with Probe, but apparently not.

I also noticed that at least the 1001 BIOS doesn't recognize the Newcastle revision. On the POST screen it was listed as a "Hammer - Unknown revision", or something like that. I flashed to 1003 right after it became available yesterday.

On a side note, the K8NE was supposed to come with Marvell's Virtual Cable Tester technology. However I cannot find any program for that, and it's not mentioned on ASUS' site any longer. Anyone have any insight into that?

Oh, and the most important bit for last. I can FINALLY again enjoy CS with 100 fps... Woooohooooooooo!!!!!

Well, that's all for now. If more stuff turns up, I'll let you know.
    ''Trying is the first step towards failure.'' - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher007
    ive tried oc at 220 seems fine but 240 just screws the bios and it goes through a thing where it reflashes it off the cd. OneCool how did you get your block on the NB. ive got a gc that sticks out next to the NB, so my dangerden z block wont fit. at the mo ive got a stick on NB cooler with a fan stuck to the top of the asus stock one, kinda lop sided to avoid the graphics card. i think asus up with the NB cooling big style, when i touched the NB, running the stock cooler, with my finger i nearly had to go and run my finger under a cold tap, it was hot. my first k8ne seemed to be dead out of the box and the NB was making some crackling noises. the replacement seems fine but has locked up a few times, and that was at stock speeds. now ive got the correct timmings for my OCZ EL pc-3500, and the extra cooling, it should be fine.

I was using this one http://www.koolance.com/products/pro...&category_id=3 It doesnt cool as good as most but it fit great and cooled a hellofalot better than stock.

Im nolonger with this mobo anymore just got my Abit KV8 pro (rev 1.1) and it blows the Asus out the water...my Newcastle 3400+ is running 12x225 @ 2.7ghz...primed for 11 hours now no problems as of yet....the only thing I miss is the nVidia Raid but VIA's isnt bad