Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation ATTENTION all members!!

When someone posts a question as to how to solve a problem (Norton, Internet Explorer, etc), telling them to use a different program is NOT a valid solution.

Because YOU have a problem (be it personal or not) with a given program is no justification to have everyone else dump theirs.

If the management of these forums adopted these suggestions, we'd have a LOT less members.

Let's try to help, not hinder and crap threads with useless drivel.

This is not to suggest one can't offer a real solution such as a member looking to get tabbed browsing (IE can't do that) and you offer an alternative browser. This is to stop the simple "get rid of that mess" with no real helpful suggestion.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by BuiesCreek847; 07-14-2004 at 06:50 PM.

Re: ATTENTION all members!!

I agree

THANKYOU BC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It makes me so mad when im trying to do something, and people tell me to get a different program.

Like.. for example "My IE wolnt load certain pages.. and when it does, it times out halfway through" And the first 3 responces will be "GET MOZILLA FIREFOX".

To me that isn't an acceptiable answer, and I just ignore the post untill I get one acually trying to help me.

Now I will understand if someone said "Get mozilla firefox, and see if it loads with that".

"same here, it'll be a sad day should amdmb ever totally dissapear, i don't care too much for these "pc's" or their "perspectives" i just like my amdmb's." - SuBX3r0

ya...this thread WAS locked...but for some reason it isnt now..

Quote Originally Posted by xa04
    ya...this thread WAS locked...but for some reason it isnt now..
    Yes it was initially, as I wasn't in the mood for a bunch of flack.

A member contacted me about it, asking for some clarification.

I've edited the original post and opened the thread so that those who care to comment, can do so.

Let's just keep the flavor of it all constant . . . . . . .. CONSTRUCTIVE! . . . . . as that's what we're all here for.

Quote Originally Posted by BuiesCreek847
    Yes it was initially, as I wasn't in the mood for a bunch of flack.

A member contacted me about it, asking for some clarification.

I've edited the original post and opened the thread so that those who care to comment, can do so.

Let's just keep the flavor of it all constant . . . . . . .. CONSTRUCTIVE! . . . . . as that's what we're all here for.
    alrighty then

If I find somebody with problems that seem to caused by known troublesome software, then I will offer a different choice as an alternative fix.

There are known problems with some harware/software combinations, thats just the state of the PC industry...hey, these are not Apple/Macs where almost everything comes from one source, so there will be problems.

but some times BC, alternative solutions is the only way, look at it this way:

You want to get somewhere, there is 2 entrys, a front door, and a backdoor, the front door has a high security, security cameras, patroll dogs the lot, and the front door is the default way which most people see...so they always take the hard way, they want to get into the front door, but they can't because its locked, so this person trying to get into the front door brings aload of friends with tools, to try and get into the front door, to try and get in, then yeah they might get in after alot of planning etc then its resolved....but if they just took a minute to try something else and look round the back, they see that there is a backdoor, which is wide open (the alternative), they go in round the back, and see its everything that was in the front door plus more...

you could say that the front door is IE, everybody sees it, alot of people try to use it, people try to exploit it.

You can see mozilla firefox as a backdoor, which is better than IE, and i think you may see my point.

BC alot of the time an alternative can sometimes be better even though its not the real soulution, the alternative can sometimes be better, thanks

everyone has the choice to use what programs they want, whether they are common or not. Telling someone to use another program is not right, offering an alternative is.

Besides, in your own analogy, making suggestions of using the backdoor to circumvent a lock is not permitted on these forums

T

Quote Originally Posted by Tigsman
    everyone has the choice to use what programs they want, whether they are common or not. Telling someone to use another program is not right, offering an alternative is.

Besides, in your own analogy, making suggestions of using the backdoor to circumvent a lock is not permitted on these forums

T
    by me says 'backdoor' i saying it as it to be an 'alternative'

I think that the point is that they're trying to make is when you suggest an alternative; don't just write "USE OPERA 7!!!!!" (which is the best browser IMHO).
    You should give an explanations at to why you would recommend this software others, rather than just spamming.
    And I am the one responsible for persueding BC847 to open this thread for discussion, so point all flames toward me
    The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter - Winston Churchill.

Quote Originally Posted by xa04
    but some times BC, alternative solutions is the only way, look at it this way:

You want to get somewhere, there is 2 entrys, a front door, and a backdoor, the front door has a high security, security cameras, patroll dogs the lot, and the front door is the default way which most people see...so they always take the hard way, they want to get into the front door, but they can't because its locked, so this person trying to get into the front door brings aload of friends with tools, to try and get into the front door, to try and get in, then yeah they might get in after alot of planning etc then its resolved....but if they just took a minute to try something else and look round the back, they see that there is a backdoor, which is wide open (the alternative), they go in round the back, and see its everything that was in the front door plus more...

you could say that the front door is IE, everybody sees it, alot of people try to use it, people try to exploit it.

You can see mozilla firefox as a backdoor, which is better than IE, and i think you may see my point.

BC alot of the time an alternative can sometimes be better even though its not the real soulution, the alternative can sometimes be better, thanks

What I'm talking about here is:

(And this is an example of what we're commonly seeing)

Joe Member posts a thread where he's having problems getting Norton's firewall to allow a particular program to get on the internet. (The fact of the matter is that Joe doesn't know his butt from 2nd base, and in fact has Both the MS firewall AND Nortons turned on and set to the max which is a huge no no with ANY firewall program).

Out of say, ten replies, seven are nothing more than people posting "Get rid of that Norton crap!" and nothing more.

Well Joe's on a tight budget and can't just go around throwing money to programs that are touted by a bunch of FanBoys.

Out of those seven useless posts; NO helpful suggestions, NO probing questions as to how he has it set up, nothing. Just plain old useless bitching about how "I can't stand Norton!"

HOW DOES THAT HELP ANYONE?

Not speaking to you folks in this thread, but to those who persist in this kind of Thread Crapping = If you've nothing truly useful, and constructive to contribute . . . . . KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!

Have a nice day.
    Last edited by BuiesCreek847; 07-16-2004 at 12:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BuiesCreek847
    What I'm talking about here is:

(And this is an example of what we're commonly seeing)

Joe Member posts a thread where he's having problems getting Norton's firewall to allow a particular program to get on the internet. (The fact of the matter is that Joe doesn't know his butt from 2nd base, and in fact has Both the MS firewall AND Nortons turned on and set to the max which is a huge no no with ANY firewall program).

Out of say, ten replies, seven are nothing more than people posting "Get rid of that Norton crap!" and nothing more.

Well Joe's on a tight budget and can't just go around throwing money to programs that are touted by a bunch of FanBoys.

Out of those seven useless posts; NO helpful suggestions, NO probing questions as to how he has it set up, nothing. Just plain old useless bitching about how "I can't stand Norton!"

HOW DOES THAT HELP ANYONE?

Not speaking to you folks in this thread, but to those who persist in this kind of Thread Crapping = If you've nothing truly useful, and constructive to contribute . . . . . KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT!

Have a nice day.
    ya, i see your POV...i guess i was thinking on the 'freeware' type thing, like IE and Mozilla Firefox, since it was mainly based on that, isee your POV and i hope you also see mine

We're coolest when we help folks.

indeedy