Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: ATTENTION all members!!

Sounds good to me.

sure does

Yeah it annoys me too, but I'd like to make a point here.

There 2 different types of problems:

1. Program doesn't run as it should (or like it used to)

2. Looking for features in a program that doesn't have them

For #1:

I hate it when people tell someone to use a different program because they are having issues with it that THEY DIDN'T HAVE BEFORE. Which means the problem can be corrected.

#2 however...

If someone is wondering about how they would go about making Norton Anti-virus a better program, there is no solution available... But if that was the case I would always recommend AVG Free Edition for example (which is way better IMO).

If the problem is a program issue (ie. not fixable) then I would recommend another program (recommend doesn't mean they have to do it). But if it is a problem that can be fixed, then I try to help out as much as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by ahmad2121
    Yeah it annoys me too, but I'd like to make a point here.

There 2 different types of problems:

1. Program doesn't run as it should (or like it used to)

2. Looking for features in a program that doesn't have them

For #1:

I hate it when people tell someone to use a different program because they are having issues with it that THEY DIDN'T HAVE BEFORE. Which means the problem can be corrected.

#2 however...

If someone is wondering about how they would go about making Norton Anti-virus a better program, there is no solution available... But if that was the case I would always recommend AVG Free Edition for example (which is way better IMO).

If the problem is a program issue (ie. not fixable) then I would recommend another program (recommend doesn't mean they have to do it). But if it is a problem that can be fixed, then I try to help out as much as I can.
    And that's fine.

Again, it's the helpless fan-boys I'm after.

No matter what program, we're working with, there's always gonna be a better way available, such is life.

I'm suggesting that we all continue helping folks with what they're dealing with as a primary function. If that fails, then yes, offer alternatives.

The beauty of a woman is in the eye of the beholder.

N of Monkee Junction, Southeastern North Carolina

whew !!
    for a moment this thread on decorum and " how-to-be-helpful, dont-simply- post- for {whatever pointless reason}"
    seemed to be borderline unstable..

y'all know anything about vB code / parameters for images

[ like shrinking froggy in my sig to proportionate dimensions, rather than using "bimg"] ??
    Last edited by SloNoMo; 10-23-2004 at 03:25 PM. Reason: vB parameters for images

" All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough good men to do nothing."-
    Edmund Burke

" Crunch Away! But, play nice .."
    --RagingSteveK's mom

---

Quote Originally Posted by SloNoMo
    [i]y'all know anything about vB code / parameters for images

[ like shrinking froggy in my sig to proportionate dimensions, rather than using "bimg"] ??
    Yeah . . . . .

[BIMG] vb code is not allowed to be used in signatures.
    As found here; http://forums.pcper.com/rules.php?#sigs

Quote Originally Posted by XA04
    You can see mozilla firefox as a backdoor, which is better than IE
    That is entirely subjective though, I for example think IE is better than FireFox. So do some others. Some people think Opera is better than both of them. Just because you think Firefox is better, doesn't mean that it can be accepted as fact.

If you can't come up with a solution for a software problem, keep your mouth shut and move on. I'm sure everyone on this forum who uses IE knows what FireFox is, who uses Outlook knows what Thunderbird is, and who uses Norton knows what AVG is. And even if they don't, it's not YOUR duty to crap on support threads to inform them and offer free advertising, it's up to the companies themselves to get the word out about their own products.

Now, as was said earlier, if someone goes on here and says "Hi how do I enable tabbed browsing in IE?" that's a totally different story. The acceptable response would be "It is impossible to have tabbed browsing in IE. Mozilla Firefox is a browser that has support for tabbed browsing, I highly recommend it" (or Opera, or Avant, or MyIE, or whatever your tabbed browser of choice is)
    Last edited by JungleMan; 11-27-2004 at 11:30 AM.
    PORTABLE: Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 2.4GHz | 4GB PC6400 DDR2 | 160GB 7200rpm HDD | ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 | 8x DVD±RW/Blu-Ray | 15.6" UltraSharp TrueLife display

Quote Originally Posted by BuiesCreek847
    Yes it was initially, as I wasn't in the mood for a bunch of flack.

A member contacted me about it, asking for some clarification.

I've edited the original post and opened the thread so that those who care to comment, can do so.

Let's just keep the flavor of it all constant . . . . . . .. CONSTRUCTIVE! . . . . . as that's what we're all here for.

Amen, it's annoying having people do that, or call you names because you ask a very simple question. Before you respond to someone in such a manner take into account WHY they may be asking said questions.

Hey not to go off subject, but..........

hey Tigsman when folding how hot is your Cpu max at?
    I was thinking of folding and just wonder about a few things.
    Is it normally at full load.
    Do oced cpu handle it ok or do oced cpus crash or just unstable?.

I am oced FX53@55 13x200 = 2603.
    I run 37c-42c idle and 44-48max.
    If I encode a movie I max 52c.
    Would I go past 52c if I fold?
    Last edited by Fle@B@gL@ne; 07-06-2005 at 06:34 AM.
    ASUS Sabertoothz77 T.U.F Series
    Intel i7 3770K 3.5@4.2 4/8 8mb
    32GB DDR 1600 Overclocked Corsair Vengence
    2 Superclocked EVGA GTX 680s instead stock 1008/6008 @1088/6200 befoe I oc it
    2 raid 0 120x2 SSD Corsair Force GT and 60x2 SSD OCZ A III 1 x SSD to speed up external 2TB
    24in 19by12 32in & 65in 1900by1080P
    Logitech Z5500 5.1 505 watt all optical on SB X-fi 5.1 external

I appreciate this thread because I'm one of those guys who don't know his butt from 2nd base. Thanks for posting it.

Quote Originally Posted by BuiesCreek847 View Post
    What I'm talking about here is:

(And this is an example of what we're commonly seeing)

Joe Member posts a thread where he's having problems getting Norton's firewall to allow a particular program to get on the internet. (The fact of the matter is that Joe doesn't know his butt from 2nd base, and in fact has Both the MS firewall AND Nortons turned on and set to the max which is a huge no no with ANY firewall program).

Out of say, ten replies, seven are nothing more than people posting "Get rid of that Norton crap!" and nothing more.

Well Joe's on a tight budget and can't just go around throwing money to programs that are touted by a bunch of FanBoys.

Out of those seven useless posts; NO helpful suggestions, NO probing questions as to how he has it set up, nothing. Just plain old useless bitching about how "I can't stand Norton!"

HOW DOES THAT HELP ANYONE? :confused
    With all due respect, I'm not seeing the problem in your example. If Norton's program isn't designed with a friendly enough user interface that it can be set to permit an app without posting about it in a forum, IMO that makes it crappy at it's intended purpose.

Especially in the case where there is already the Windows Firewall, telling someone to get rid of the Norton Firewall is, IMO, exactly the right answer. It helps in exactly what Joe wanted to do, get his app access to the internet. If it wasn't suggested Joe buy product XYZ, how is it implied that he MUST spend money on something else?

Just to keep peace and harmony I'll abide by this request not to mention alternative SW, and avoid mentioning I feel Norton software is crap on this forum, but when the short answer is if you don't know how to use a piece of software and it's causing problems, enough problems that many other people feel it's crap, getting rid of it is the shortest distance between two points.