Deleted a hard drive from XP after renaming it

I just installed a new SATA HDD, and added my old two hard drives as well with a new XP install. Everything came up and all three drives appeared in Explorer. So then I noticed that you could rename the hard drives, so I right clicked, selected rename on one of the IDE HDDs and tried to name it. I gave it the name "Steve," but it told me it was an incorrect volume label or something like that. I assumed it was because it wanted me to give it a drive letter, so I named it:

Steve (G and it still told me it was incorrect. I couldn't even rename it back to the original name, and it gave me that windows thing where it won't let you exit the naming box until you give it a correct name, so I just rebooted my computer.

Now the HDD doesn't show up. I went into BIOS and tried to do auto-detect and it doesn't show up there either, only the other 2 drives.

Does anyone know how I can manually add this drive back, or why it's not showing up? And lastly, why wouldn't it let me rename it? Thanks for any help!
    AMD ATHLON XP 2600 - 333 FSB CPU | ASUS A7N8X DELUXE v1.4 mobo | CRUCIAL MICRON 512MB 64x64 PC 3200 DDR RAM | CRUCIAL MICRON 256MB 64x64 PC 2700 DDR RAM x 2 | WESTERN DIGITAL SE 80Gb 7200 RPM HDD | THERMALRIGHT SK-7 Heatsink | VANTEC NXP-101 NEXUS Multi-Function Panel

Re: Deleted a hard drive from XP after renaming it

Moving to the Storage forum.

Did your old drives have an OS installed on them?.....for starters may want to boot up in safe mode (pressing F8 on startup). You could try to load last known good configuration from there....also what hardware do you have?
    AMD RIGS:
    Main Rig: Antec P160\A7N8X-Dlx\1007 Uber\Thermalright SP-97-Ceramique\XP-M 2500@12X210\NB Vantec Iceberg\2X Corsair XMS 256 PC3200LL\WD Raptor X2 (RAID 0)\WD 800JB\ATI 9800 Pro\NEC 2500A\Vantec 520W PS

Shuttle Rig: SN45G\Stock Ice-Ceramique\XP 2500@10.5X202\Mushkin Black Lvl I PC3200\ATI AIW 9600 Pro\WD 1200JB\Lite-On LTC48161H

Current evaluation testing: Plextor PX-712SA (SATA Optical Drive).

My Pets...... 3112 Driver Comparison....NCQ Desktop Performance

That's weird. I've renamed all my drives/partitions and it has worked fine. Maybe Windows just doesn't like personal pronouns? Or maybe just doesn't like "Steve"?
    Gigabyte GA-8KVNXP
    A64 3200 1MB Cache "CG" stepping
    SLK-948U & SilenX 92mm fan
    1GB Centon PC3500 DDR (CAS 2.5)
    ATI Radeon 9800Pro 128MB (410/360) w/ VGA Silencer Rev2
    2 x 36GB WD SATA Raptor in RAID0
    IDE 200GB Seagate
    Stealth Lite-On DVD Burner
    Lian-Li PC-82 case with 80mm SilenX fans all around
    550w Fully Sleeved Antec True Power PS

Drive naming in Windoz is a very strange, almost mystical thing. I've never really figured it out for sure, but I eventually learned that once a name is assigned to a drive letter, it stays with that drive letter.

In this case, you rebooted and hosed the drive assignment, but you should still be able to see the drive in disc management, and correct the problem there.