Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: Audigy 2 ZS install guide.

Tuatha,

I am trying to manually reassign the IRQ, but I can't figure out how. I have freed up IRQ 4, but I can't figure out how to assign it specifically to the sound card as my only choices are "Reserved" or "PCI Device," which is the same as the choices given for all of the other IRQs.

I have an Athlon 2800xp cpu and 2x 512MB sticks of Corsair pc2700.
    A7N8X Dlx
    1006 BIOS
    Barton 2800xp
    SLK-8000U/SUNON KD1208PTB2
    Antec 430W True Power
    1GB Corsair TWINX1024-2700LLPT
    Asus GeforceFX 5900 Ultra
    Creative Audigy 2 Platinum
    Nvidia unified nForce Drivers
    Detonator 78.01
    Win XP Pro/SP2

Zaph yeah I have the same board and just had a look at the manual and bios and see the problem.

1 - The manual states slots 1 and 5 as shared (I assume with each other) INTA
    2 - Slot 3 shared with SATA INTC
    3 - Slot 2 used INTD Slot 4 used INTB

I have no idea what it means by used, I initially thought hey it doesnt share but I think it means that INT is already used by onboard components so is not good choice right? and as I use SATA it means like zaph I should use slot 1 or 5.

Now in my irq resources (using APIC) the audigy is using irq 17 on its own but everest has shared next to it. Am I right in thinking that because it isnt in slot 1 or 5 and is an irq above 15 (virtual) it doesnt actually have a dedicated real irq? or is this fine? do APIC irq's actually mean dedicated? irq's 3,4,7,10,11 are all unused and 16-22 are all used so windows has done a bad job in assigning irq addresses.

the a7n8x deluxe also has no pnp os bios option either, their is an option which can go in boot.ini for XP that apperently uses bios irq assignments but when I tried this it was ineffective.

More about my soundcard and sound quality, the card is an audigy2 value which I used instead of the onboard soundstorm because I wasnt happy with the analogue quality. Initially the sound was awesome but I was getting BSOD and it was sharing an irq so I moved it, I think I also remember reinstalling the drivers. Now the situation is there is no BSOD problems but the sound seems very quiet, if I turn the speakers high there is hissing and the volume becomes more audible but still quiet to what it should be. Their is some cracks,pops in some audio as well.

Something not addressed in this thread is also when running the installation cd there is 2 options, (a) soundblaster audigy 2 (b) soundblaster audigy 2 digital, what does the latter option do? when I select it sound is amazing much louder but all the tools like audio console fail saying soundcard not found.

Quote Originally Posted by steven975
    one more troubleshooting issue:

all motherboards are different in the way they route interrupts. every board has FOUR channels. they are hardwired. every slot and integrated peripheral is on one of these channels. ideally, the sound card should be in a PCI slot that shares a channel with nothing.

go into the motherboard manual and look for the IRQ routing table. every manual i have seen has one. basically it is a chart with the 4 channels and the slot(s) that are in them. the better manuals tell you which channel the integrated peripherals (nic, sound, raid) are in but most don't. usually, two slots share one of the channels, usually 1 and 5 or something. generally, these 2 slots are the only things in that channel. Putting the sound card in one of these and leaving the other empty is the BEST THING TO DO. Also, give the slot its own IRQ in the BIOS. After doing this, you should have NO PROBLEMS.

The worst thing you can do is put the sound card in the slot that shares an IRQ channel with the AGP. Most boards this is slot 4 (it is almost never slot 1, that is an "urban legend"). consult the chart in the manual for details. Usually, this channel is INT_A or INT_0, depending on the nomenclature in the manual.
    To this was going to ask am I wasting my time with APIC, from what you say it appears there is only 4 REAL irq's and the rest is all virtual stuff, so the irqs 16-22 are not real?

Thanks

Hey Chrysalis,

I didn't get the option for a Soundblaster audigy 2 digital, hence the reason for leaving it out.
    there are 15 real IRQ's and the rest are software AFAIK.

Windows does a terrible job and that's why you have to bypass Windows and do it manually in BIOS.
    Slot 1 and 5 are shared so if you are going to use one slot, keep the other open

as for everything being too quiet, have you ensured that all the software volume equalisers have been cranked up?

Good luck.

yeah volume is maxed in windows.

so essentially this is right.

apic is virtual extra irq's and I have little to gain using it?

my bios has no option of making windows use bios irq assignments and as such I cannot force the irq for the soundcard to use a disabled com port irq?

Card's now moved.

Previous configuration was audigy2 in slot 4 and lan in slot 5, I put the audigy in slot 5 and tried to put the lan in slot 2 as I didnt want it to share with sata but this actually stopped my sata hd's been detected so I just put it in slot 3. Now it shares with sata and usb. audigy 2 has own irq. The sound quality in terms of crackles is improved but I still have the low volume, I am thinking my codecs might be messed up so I will be reinstalling windows soon, I will probably change back to ACPI and disable APIC since I am only gaining virtual irq's.

On the A7N8X Deluxe, you can enable Legacy mode IRQ routing in your BIOS. Under PnP/PCI Configurations, set the Resources Controlled By option to Manual, which equates to enabling or disabling PnP. From there, I think you can manually assign IRQ's to slots or INTerrupt lines. When you do this, I recommend also setting Reset Configuration Data to Enabled. This is a one-off setting that should help the changeover from PnP mode to Legacy by flushing and rebuilding the motherboard's listing of devices and their resources. If you want to use Legacy mode, disable APIC too. You can free up more IRQ's to by disabling serial and parallel ports (IRQ's 3, 4 and 7). IRQ 10 is assigned for USB controllers and IRQ 11 is assigned for use by SCSI controllers (and other drive controllers). As Lidi said, slots 1 and 5 on your mobo are shared. It's quite possible that they also share with the AGP port. On top of that, most slots on most conventional PCI boards share interrupts with other onboard devices, so if you're not using that device, disable it. I'd imagine slot 2 and 4 on the A7N8X would offer better smoother operation than if you used the shared slots (1, 3 and 5).

Chrysalis, When you were having crackling issues, were your PCI devices getting IRQ's under PnP mode or under Legacy mode? Was APIC on or off?

Under Legacy (PIC) Mode there are 16 IRQ's. '0' is for the System Timer.

For PCI Express users:

AFAIK, in a PCI Express system, the conventional PCI slots should be running on their own unique bus, using the PCI Express messaging system. This means they wouldn't share interrupts with other devices like under the conventional PCI platform. PCI INT sharing shouldn't account for anything. Despite that, many PCI Express mobo manuals still contain a PCI INT table. For PCI Express, I'd be inclined to recommend leaving device IRQ assignment to PnP and leave APIC enabled, but still try and conform to the PCI INT table.

APIC's are cascaded PIC's (after the first PIC) which are initialised by the OS to allow a greater memory range for devices to access. APIC's and PnP technology should be well and truly mature enough under PCI Express not to have to worry about hardware conflicts if they are both running. If your PCI slots are controlled under PCI Express, there really shouldn't be any conflicts no matter which slot you use (see last paragraph), provided that you use APIC, PnP and an OS that supports them. There may be exceptions to this rule though If you're having issues on a PCI Express board, it's probably worth seeing what fixes BIOS updates offer. I don't Windows' handling of interrupts is the problem. More like conventional PCI with it's limited bandwidth and cumbersome interrupt mechanism.

damn more confusion Mjölnir you say different to the others who say 1 % 5 share with each other and thats it.

regarding the bios it really is poor, if selecting manual, can then goto the irq list and choose either reserved or pci/isa legacy. their is no option to assign irqs or int to specific devices.

I currently have the following disabled in the bios.

both com ports
    parallel port
    onboard sound
    onboard 3com card
    firewire
    usb v2.0 (usb1 enabled)

the irq list that shows on the bios summary screen which of course only uses 0-15 (probably what windows would use on apm) shows the usb/sata/pci slot 3(lan card) sharing and the agp has its own irq and the audigy2 has its own irq.

The irqs are under pnp mode as stated by me and the other posted this motherboard doesnt seem to support legacy mode.

Also as I already stated apic is currently enabled.

What I am very unsure off as noone appears to know or answering is the apic virtual irq's, if I was to goto acpi and suddenly have devices sharing irq's am I worse off or just the same or even better? are these same devices sharing under apic even tho it shows them under different irq's? if its all virtual why does apic exist?

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis
    damn more confusion Mjölnir you say different to the others who say 1 % 5 share with each other and thats it.
    Not all boards with more than 4 PCI slots share PCI Slots 1 & 5 to start with. A few of MSI's KT4 and KT6 series boards share PCI slots 2 & 5. A good example of an INTerrupt table can be found in the manual for the ASUS A7V8X-X. It shares PCI slots 1 & 6 along with the AGP slot. In any case it can still come down to "musical slots", but the INT charts give a good guideline.

regarding the bios it really is poor, if selecting manual, can then goto the irq list and choose either reserved or pci/isa legacy. their is no option to assign irqs or int to specific devices.
    Sounds like you're doing all the right things in BIOS.

What I am very unsure off as noone appears to know or answering is the apic virtual irq's, if I was to goto acpi and suddenly have devices sharing irq's am I worse off or just the same or even better? are these same devices sharing under apic even tho it shows them under different irq's? if its all virtual why does apic exist?
    There isn't a direct answer to that. It depends on whether you're having problems now or not (using Legacy mode). You can achieve a stable system with PnP (ACPI) or without it. On paper, ACPI and APIC's offer better options - especially for rigs with more devices needing IRQ addresses. In practise it doesn't always work out as expected, in which case you might find reverting to Legacy mode to be more stable. The "best" configuration for your rig depends on the mix of compoents you have, among other factors.

been doing some testing on a spare partition.

under acpi the disabled com port irq's remain unused and I have my lan card sharing with on board sata and usb 1.1. The soundcard keeps its own irq but everest says its sharing and not exclusive.

under apic the lan card shares with raid but not usb 1.1, the usb moves to its own irq (virtual irq??)
    the audigy has its own irq still and again listed as sharing.
    all the above devices have irqs above 15 and the disabled com port irqs remain unused.

however my main point here is under apic the sound quality is considerably better and the pc is faster, this has been tested on identical fresh installs with only basic drivers applied. So apic does seem to apply a better resource management.

my current poor sound i think is due to corrupt codecs and I will be doing a proper reinstall after I have backed up my data.

This thread kept me from ripping my damn hair out just this week. Using a Gigabyte K8N Ultra-9/Socket 939/PCI-E system. Been using an Auidgy 2 for almost a year through several re-installs of windows xp but this last one had me puzzled. I had the Audigy 2 in PCI-3 as usual except I started getting BSOD's left and right all pointing to bad memory. Tested my memory 24hr each stick with memtest+ and it passed with flying colors running at 5-2-3-2 @ 1t. I figured out how to read the crash dumps and it listed kmixer.sys as the cause. I remembered something about this thread I had seen a while back. I went into the bios and set PCI-3 to IRQ4 and now 3 days later and I havent seen one BSOD. I been surfing, playing Oblivion and encoding videos for my psp. Nothing! I thank PC Perspective again.
    [Asus A8N-E][Athlon64 X2 4200+ (CNPS7000B-AlCu)]
    [2GB OCZ EL DDR PC3200 Platinum] [Sapphire x1800XT 256mb (Sytrin VF1-Plus)]
    [X-Fi XtremeMusic][Antec SmartPower 2.0 500watt]
    E-MAIL EBAY HeatWare

AUDIGY 2 ZS PLT PRO with External Hub box works great with Logitech Z5500 5.1 505watt THX on a NF4 mb too and very easy to use.
    ASUS Sabertoothz77 T.U.F Series
    Intel i7 3770K 3.5@4.2 4/8 8mb
    32GB DDR 1600 Overclocked Corsair Vengence
    2 Superclocked EVGA GTX 680s instead stock 1008/6008 @1088/6200 befoe I oc it
    2 raid 0 120x2 SSD Corsair Force GT and 60x2 SSD OCZ A III 1 x SSD to speed up external 2TB
    24in 19by12 32in & 65in 1900by1080P
    Logitech Z5500 5.1 505 watt all optical on SB X-fi 5.1 external

Hi,

I have purchased an audigy 2 zs and i have some sound problems. First i uninstalled onboard sound card drivers and reboot then disabled onboard sound card from bios. Then plugged audigy and installed the latest drivers. But when i switch the speakers on and try to volume up or down, i heard distortion like swoosh sound (its like whiffling to a microphone). And when i try to listen mp3 from winamp the sound is same and very low, no bass no treble. I changed the pci slot to 5 but all was same. Tried autoupdater and beta drivers but still same. I also tried all these with headphone but all same again. I unplugged the audigy card and reinstalled the onboard drivers then everything is ok.

Could you help me to find the problem?

Thanks in advance

Gigabyte GA-8IHXP Rev. 3.0
    Intel P4 2.8GHz
    4x256 MB Kingston PC1066 RD Ram
    512MB HIS ATI Radeon HD2600XT
    LG DVD-RW
    Logitech Z-2300
    Windows XP SP3