Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

AN35N Ultra won't boot

Having some trouble getting my AN35N working. I recently purchased this motherboard along with the AMD 2500+ processor. After installing everything and turning the computer on, I got no video. I figured the card wasn't seeded correctly, so I tried reseeding then moving to another PCI slot all together.

Long story short, I have had no luck. I've currently removed everything from the case with the exception of the CPU. When I turn the computer on now, my fans spin (and stay spinning), but I get no beeps (as I should since I don't have any memory installed!)

After each piece of equipment I removed (i.e. floopy, CD, HD, Video Card) I unplugged and cleared the CMOS.

I have no idea what else to try. Is my CPU bad, MOBO bad? Any help would really be appreciated... I'm pulling my hair out!

Thanks!

Re: AN35N Ultra won't boot

you can try to reseat the cpu, as i've had that happen a few times. Id reseat all connections, and if you still cannot get it to boot, I'd guess it the mobo. Could also be the cpu, but i'd suspect a bad motherboard .

Welcome to the Forums!

What are you using for a PSU & what are its specs?

Did you plug in the P4 ATX power connector?

What are you using for RAM?

What timings & VDimm settings are you using?

Have you ever been able to post & enter the BIOS?

Regards, Szandor
    Truth has always been in abundance. Its only due to the lack of its demand that we question its existence. - D. Bast

Dance like no one is watching - Sing like no one is listening - Live each day as if it were your last. - Old Irish Saying

H.S.T. - Happy Trails Dr. Gonzo!

I tried to reseat the CPU... No go.

The case I am using is an Aspire X-Dreamer. The PSU is 350W.

I have 256 x2 chips of PC2700 DDR (Micron). I've tried both chips in at the same time, one chip, and no chips (hoping to get a memory error beep).

I have no idea what timings and VDimm settings I'm using... I haven't been able to get into BIOS yet so I'm just using the default settings.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

The Aspire X-Dreamer uses a Turbolink 350watt PSU.

The Turbolink is not a very good PSU in general & only has 12Amps on the 12V rail, you need a minimum of 15Amps to power the AN35N. It also doesn't list the output of the 3.3V + 5.0V rails or total output of the PSU which indicates that its considerably under-powered.

Take a look at the 350watt - Fortron\Sparkle, Antec, TTGI\Superflower PSUs as these are what you need to power your rig - IMHO

If you have the extra money it would probably be wise to buy a 400watt PSU that has the SATA connectors on it as even if you don't use SATA drives now with prices getting lower all the time you will most likely consider them very shortly.

Don't forget to plug in the P4 ATX power connector

Heres a link to a guide that will help you determine the power requirements of your rig:
    http://www.firingsquad.com/guides/power_supply/

Good Luck!

Regards, Szandor
    Last edited by Szandor; 08-06-2004 at 09:15 AM.
    Truth has always been in abundance. Its only due to the lack of its demand that we question its existence. - D. Bast

Dance like no one is watching - Sing like no one is listening - Live each day as if it were your last. - Old Irish Saying

Szandor,

Thanks for the info on the PSU. I will look into purchasing a new PSU later today.

I guess I'm still a little confused though, as I currently only have my CPU seated in the motherboard. I have no drives hooked up to the MB, no memory, no fans (with the exception of CPU fan/heatsink), etc. Of course I'm not running this machine full-time (I keep it on for about a two minutes while trying to boot) and I have the case wide-open so I'm not worried about a heat problem. I'm just trying to get some sort of error beep/etc from the MB.

That saying, the only considerable power being consumed by the MB is from the CPU, which is using ~7.12Amps.

Shouldn't this be at least enough power to start the boot process and give me a beep error of some sort because of a memory error, keyboard error, drive error, etc?

I realize that I am/will have a power problem once I hook everything up.

Also did verify the P4 ATX power connector is proberly connected.

Thanks again.
    -Mike
    Last edited by ruthm23; 08-06-2004 at 12:11 PM.

Hey Mike!

I hear what you're saying but -

1. I'm no electrical engineer so I couldn't say if it will work even with the limited amperage it has.

2. Whos to say if the Turbo-link even has the 12amps that the label states.

You may have other issues as well but his is what comes to my mind as a first requirement.

The AN35N is very picky about RAM, is yours Crucial\Micron or someone else using Micron chips?

Regards, Szandor

The problem is not just power/current, but speed - if the system doesn't initialise quickly enough the whole POST is aborted by the BIOS. I agree that a new PSU is a vital first step, but I reckon you should only look at 400W and above.

M

Ram on this board may be an issue. I'm running 256Mb Mushkin PC3200, 256Mb, Kingston PC3200, and a 512Mb stick of PC4000 Kingston HyperX with no problems. It's hard to say without being able to swap equipment out to narrow the problem. Hope you get it workin.

He said he was using a PCI gfx card...

M

Oops, sorry. Deleted my post.

I don't know if this would apply to a new machine, but when I OC too far and she won't POST, I turn off the PSU switch then turn it back on and hold Insert while I hit the front panel power button. It works wonders for me

Shuttle AN35N Ultra 400 (nForce 2)
    Barton 2400-M AQYFA 0343WPMW (209x12=2509@1.86v on air)
    old: Tbred 1800+ NIUHB 0335SPMW DLT3C (209x12=2509@1.84v on air)
    older: Duron 1400 MIXIB 0336XPMW (215x10.5=2263@1.86v on air) (256K L2 enabled)
    Buffalo PC3200 512M @ 11-2-2-2.0 : 3.31 V (PSU splice) (235 memtest stable)
    ATi Radeon 9600pro AIW @ 450/750
    Antec plain white case w/PP-303XP 300W psu (15A 12v rail) with custom 120mm lower front intake
    AMD sink with awesome plastic cup duct mod and constant +12v psu fan mod
    Samsung SyncMaster 753DF 17" uber-flat monitor

Thanks for all your help on this (been a while since I posted). I ended up getting an Antec SL400 which didn't fix my problem. Finally determined it was the MB. Returned it and got a new one and everything is now working.

I am having somewhat of a different problem now, but I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to work through it. It seems as though I'm having a conflict with my video card (OLD, OLD, OLD PCI card that I had) and the USB ports. I'm in the process of getting an AGP video card (really time for me to upgrade anyways) that I believe will fix this problem.

On a side note, I have (2) 256MB PC2700 chips in slots 1&3 and an AMD 2500 XP Barton processor. I'm running all defaults (optimized) in my bios setup. Should I change any settings, or will the defaults setting do the job. As a newbie, I'm not trying to overclock and whatnot, just trying to get a good stable system.

Thanks again for everyone's help and comments.

The defaults should be fine, depending on what your PC2700 is you might be able to tighten the settings to get better performance w\o overclocking.

More info on BIOS tweaks without OCing found here in BIOS Optimization Guide http://www.rojakpot.com/

Good Luck!

Regards, Szandor

Quote Originally Posted by ruthm23
    ...I am having somewhat of a different problem now, but I'm pretty confident that I'll be able to work through it. It seems as though I'm having a conflict with my video card (OLD, OLD, OLD PCI card that I had) and the USB ports. I'm in the process of getting an AGP video card (really time for me to upgrade anyways) that I believe will fix this problem.
    What windows are you using? If Win2K or XP, & APIC is enabled in the BIOS setup, the IRQ conflicts will be taken care of by Windows. Win9X might be another matter, however.