View Poll Results: Does the partisanship on this board bother anybody but me?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • No, too much bipartisanship would be far more destructive

4 11.11%
  • Yes, the parties should work together instead against each other

16 44.44%
  • You're new here, aren't you? Get used to it!!!

16 44.44%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Does the partisanship on this board bother anybody but me?

Quote Originally Posted by Stravos
    I totally agree with you, it's why I don't post here. Really what's the point of a debate if nobody comes out of it with a new understanding/appreciation of the opposing view? The posts here go nowhere... but I guess this is the American way I'm always right, you're always wrong, there is no alternative, right?
    If people have opposing views especially on things such as Iraq where people are dying by the hundreds every week, how could they ever "come together" and hug? Two opposing ideologies coming together? Why?

I think its wierd how there are so many bi-partisan people in such a heated era, I don't see how you couldn't take a stand on one side or the other. Do you like to stand back and watch things unfurl without actively participating or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Nikilo
    If people have opposing views especially on things such as Iraq where people are dying by the hundreds every week, how could they ever "come together" and hug? Two opposing ideologies coming together? Why?

I think its wierd how there are so many bi-partisan people in such a heated era, I don't see how you couldn't take a stand on one side or the other. Do you like to stand back and watch things unfurl without actively participating or something?
    Bipartisan agreement here. Two diametrically opposed political parties, how can you switch from side to side. I was raised in a Democratic family but the last Dem I would have actually voted for would have been JFK (despite his personal problems). I have a fair amount of respect for Lieberman.

How can I possibly vote Democratic now? Dem = pro-abortion, pro-affirmative action, anti-military, pro-union, pro-gay, pro-political correctness, anti-business. They go against all my core values. The only plank I agree with is some of the environmental issues but even on that I believe they go too far.
    Last edited by bk94si; 08-08-2004 at 09:17 PM.
    Brian

I'm anti-abortion, pro-gay rights, separation of religion/government, and low taxes. One issue does not connect so perfectly to the next that you can't see right in both parties.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra_nVidia
    I'm anti-abortion, pro-gay rights, separation of religion/government, and low taxes. One issue does not connect so perfectly to the next that you can't see right in both parties.
    Im Pro-Choice, dont care about gay marriage n stuff they can do whatever I dont care, and I'm for seperation of religion and goverment as well, All left views but I doubt anyone here would calll me a lefty.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundforbjt
    I'm sure most people here think I'm a total liberal. Yet I voted for Reagan, twice. Voted for Clinton twice, Voted for Gore, and would never vote for Bush unless he did a 180 on alot of his views & policies.

I study both sides from my point of relevance which is ; Who shares the most of my ideas? This year it's Kerry, if he's elected and I don't like the job he's done, I will vote for someone else. People need to vote with their mind, Not with their Party affiliation.

Conservative does not always = Bad
    Liberal does not always = Bad

Some people just can't think past this.
    good post
    Abit NF7-S rev 2 - 1700+ tbred B @ 2.4 ghz - 512 mb OCZ PC3500EL - ATI 9800 Pro

"see it, believe it, never stop working to make it happen"

CLICK HERE

"Dem = pro-abortion, pro-affirmative action, anti-military, pro-union, pro-gay, pro-political correctness, anti-business"

That's an oversimplification. People in one political party don't all share the one brain. I don't see political correctness being associated with party and I don't see how they are anti-military? The military didn't seem to suffer under Slick Willy. I don't think that the Democratic party are in some big conspiracy to make you gay and join a union. As for abortion, the courts settled the legality of that quite a long time ago.

The Rebublicans will still be in control of the house or senate so having a Democrat as president would be ideal. It would force both parties to work with one another.
    Last edited by afalzone; 08-08-2004 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearded Frog
    Im Pro-Choice, dont care about gay marriage n stuff they can do whatever I dont care, and I'm for seperation of religion and goverment as well, All left views but I doubt anyone here would calll me a lefty.

You! You...you! Baby Killing Lefty Liberal Commie Wuss!

well, I dont see any problem at all right now...

I've seen plenty of examples of people coming away from a discussion in TLR with a different perspective than they entered the discussion with... And that includes myself.

No matter what the topic is, you'll always get someone who's ignorant enough to dismiss someone's entire statement simply because they would vote for someone else.

At this point in time there's an upcoming election, so you'll see alot of focus on who's voting for who... when that's out of the way there will hopefully be more discussion about the actual topics that people have opinions/views on which helps them decide who to vote for..

It's kinda troubling that you can't have a discussion in a debate forum about the actual topics that make politics interesting, but it comes in waves.. learn to ignore the people who typically dismiss things without thinking about them before they respond. <--- The reason I don't post here as much as I used to.

(Still my home forum tho.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Radun
    ,.-'`\/]|[\/`'-.,,.-'`\/]|[\/`'-.,,.-'`\/]|[\/`'-.,

Quote Originally Posted by Cobra_nVidia
    I'd argue that there are basic traits that define liberal/conservative that do not overlap. It's a thought process thing. Hard to put your finger on, but its there.

I don't see any point in wallowing in the middle. History has been defined by people with strong ambition, values and character. If you flip-flop a lot it just seems... flaky. Thats a big problem with Kerry. Now I'm not saying you shouldn't mix and match, but being bi-partisan seems like an impossibility when such huge issues are at hand.

I don't see any point in wallowing in the middle. History has been defined by people with strong ambition, values and character. If you flip-flop a lot it just seems... flaky
    Flip-floping is taking different sides on the same exact issue. There is no relationship betweeen religion, economics, and many other factors that define Liberalism and Conservatism. I agree with one side on every issue, but I don't agree with everything either Liberals or Conservatives believe.

I'd argue that there are basic traits that define liberal/conservative that do not overlap. It's a thought process thing. Hard to put your finger on, but its there.
    It's not so much a base thought process as a cultural effect. The herd swings one way, and all the animals do the same. I have found the most independent people (read: loners) also tend to be the least likely to follow any political side like a religion.

^^yup
    ,.-'`\/]|[\/`'-.,,.-'`\/]|[\/`'-.,,.-'`\/]|[\/`'-.,

Quote Originally Posted by afalzone
    "Dem = pro-abortion, pro-affirmative action, anti-military, pro-union, pro-gay, pro-political correctness, anti-business"

That's an oversimplification. People in one political party don't all share the one brain. I don't see political correctness being associated with party and I don't see how they are anti-military? The military didn't seem to suffer under Slick Willy. I don't think that the Democratic party are in some big conspiracy to make you gay and join a union. As for abortion, the courts settled the legality of that quite a long time ago.

The Rebublicans will still be in control of the house or senate so having a Democrat as president would be ideal. It would force both parties to work with one another.
    If you really believe the military didn't suffer under Clinton, then you obviously were not in the military under Clinton. Both my wife and myself were, and there is absolutely no doubt that the Clinton administration hurt the military. Every year under Clinton, I saw budget cuts and personnel cuts. When I left the military in 2000, the department I was in had less than half the manpower than it did when Clinton was first elected, but we were expected to do the same amount of work. The way we made up for it is by working overtime, but the problem with that is the military is a 24/7 job, so "overtime" doesn't earn you a single extra cent. Working 40 hours and working 80 hours per week nets you the exact same paycheck. During my last year, I figured out that if I were to turn my paycheck into an hourly wage, I was making less than minimum wage. This was as an E-5 with 7 years service. The new airmen were probably making around 3-5 dollars per hour. Clinton definitely hurt the military, even if you didn't see it.

Quote Originally Posted by 'K-
    This is one of the most partisan boards I've ever seen. Would it kill a republican to give credit to a democrat and vice versa. The fact that you guys so easily dismiss an individual based on their party affiliation is incredible. Maybe we should go back to seperate drinking fountains. I mean really...
    amen to that!
    Quote Originally Posted by mostholycerebus View Post
    PCPer CAN'T have a dollar value attached. For those of us, PcPer is worthless!

its okay for people to have different opinions on issues, but most of the time, all threads turn into flame wars... That isn't a good thing. Some people are so rabidly dem or rep, that they can't see anyone else's ideas, unless they agree with their own. Doesn't forment good discussions, but hey, I LIKE watching Jerry Springer, so, yeah...
    3v1l l337
    Athlon X2 3800+ @2.6 GHz 1.4 vcore
    TT Big Typhoon
    2x512 DDR 400 2.5-3-3-7 1T@ 216MHz
    Evga NF4 Mobo (rebranded jetway)
    evga 7800GT@stock currently
    80GB SATA

Dreams are like appendixes. Utterly useless, and rarely deadly...

WTS "WANG" x1 PST

Quote Originally Posted by Big Whip
    If you really believe the military didn't suffer under Clinton, then you obviously were not in the military under Clinton. Both my wife and myself were, and there is absolutely no doubt that the Clinton administration hurt the military. Every year under Clinton, I saw budget cuts and personnel cuts. When I left the military in 2000, the department I was in had less than half the manpower than it did when Clinton was first elected, but we were expected to do the same amount of work. The way we made up for it is by working overtime, but the problem with that is the military is a 24/7 job, so "overtime" doesn't earn you a single extra cent. Working 40 hours and working 80 hours per week nets you the exact same paycheck. During my last year, I figured out that if I were to turn my paycheck into an hourly wage, I was making less than minimum wage. This was as an E-5 with 7 years service. The new airmen were probably making around 3-5 dollars per hour. Clinton definitely hurt the military, even if you didn't see it.
    I have a question for you, Congress holds the purse strings when it comes to budgets, and then the Pentagon appropriates those funds. It seems to me that if it were a Republican dominated Congress during Clinton's term wouldn't it stand to reason that it was their fault for the cuts? Clinton could have made proposals, but it was up to the Republican Congress to approve them.
    George W. Bush <--- Al Qaeda's #1 Recruiter

GWB - "Brownie, you're doing a heck of a job!"
    On Nov. 6, 1963, Laura Welch (now Bush) ran a stop sign and murdered Michael Douglas.
    republiKan values: mark foley, tom delay, jack abramoff, john rowland, duke cunningham, david safavian, bob taft, brent wilkes, james tobin, scooter libby and ernie fletcher. Poster CRIMINALS and PEDOPHILES of the repug party.
    The only two things you ever need to know about GWB:
    "The most important thing is for us to find Osama Bin Laden. It is our number one priority and we will not rest until we find him." - George W. Bush, 9/13/01

"I don't know where he is. I have no idea, and I really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority." - George W. Bush, 3/13/02