1st laptop and I'm a moron!

Hey all,

Just got my first laptop, and had a couple really stupid questions. First, can you overcharge the battery? I leave it plugged in quite often, plus I'll leave it plugged in overnight to make sure it's fully charged in the morning. Is this screwing up the battery?

Second, and even stupider, what do you use to clean the screen? I have a two year old that for some reason likes to put his sticky fingers all over everything. ( I know, it doesn't sound like your typical two year old, but he's a goofball. ) He got something on it that just spreads around if I try and wipe it off, so what's the good stuff to use?

Thanks

Re: 1st laptop and I'm a moron!

no more than 6 hours or itll deteriorate.if more,take battery out.mix 50/50 alcohololol with water,spray on paper towel a bit and proceed..never on screen or itlls fok soemthing up..dont worry,youre a newbie

thnks

ps googone

add a couple 120mm fans overhead to drop temps by 10+ celsiusD.S.C-12(2)-disclaimer : whatever u do with your hardware/software is your
    responsibility, which i dont hold if u break anything

GRAB here OcBible v1.55 and Guidemania v1.21
    scary pooch?pooch#1taking ball from dogpooch pulln on ropeme on board after 2 years
    of no board
    http://gonny.se/ <-cool lady http://www.mediafire.com/?8dmg21ms1vx
    IN MEMORY OF HOW BM WAS TREATED HERE...

And try to run the battery down before you recharge it. Overnight wont hurt it, but dont leave it plugged in all the time. The battery will develop a memory and wont last more than a few minutes after that.

Thanks y'all.

Quote Originally Posted by _dangtx_
    no more than 6 hours or itll deteriorate.if more,take battery out.mix 50/50 alcohololol with water,spray on paper towel a bit and proceed..never on screen or itlls fok soemthing up..dont worry,youre a newbie

thnks

ps googone

This post did not make any sense at all.

About the battery, Lion batteries do not have a memory of any sort, so do not worry about that. I have a laptop i was using as a server for the past 3 years with a LiON battery, plugged in/never turned off, and the battery is still good as new. recently, i have begun using it to surf infront of TV, and the battery still holds a darn good charge. SO the 6 hour thing is bull. The memory is not a problem with LiON, hence why LiON was created.
    On Desk:
    Aspire x-SuperAlien Red Case |AMD 64 3000+,ThermalTake K8 Silent Boost:AS5 | GigaByte Nforce 3 K8NNXP | LG Multiformat DVD Writer
    Combo DVD/CDRW | WD 200GB 7200RPM HD | PowerColor x800xt | 2x512MB Corsair XMS PRO PC3200 Matched | 17" Samsung 170N LCD | Logitech Z640 5.1 Speakers | Belkin 802.11b wireless card
    In Bag:
    Dell Inspiron 2650, 1.7ghz P4M, 512mb ram, 32mb geforce 2 go.

About the battery. Here's what I found on www.batteryuniversity.com:

Simple Guidelines

Avoid frequent full discharges because this puts additional strain on the battery. Several partial discharges with frequent recharges are better for lithium-ion than one deep one. Recharging a partially charged lithium-ion does not cause harm because there is no memory. (In this respect, lithium-ion differs from nickel-based batteries.)
    Short battery life in a laptop is mainly caused by heat rather than charge/discharge patterns.
    Although memory-free, apply a deliberate full discharge once every 30 charges to calibrate batteries with fuel gauge. Running down the battery in the equipment does this. If ignored, the fuel gauge will become increasingly less accurate. The battery life will not be affected.

Keep the lithium-ion battery cool. Avoid a hot car. For prolonged storage, keep the battery at a 40% charge level.

Consider removing the battery from a laptop when running on fixed power. (Some laptop manufacturers are concerned about dust and moisture accumulating inside the battery casing.)

Avoid purchasing spare lithium-ion batteries for later use. Observe manufacturing date. Do not buy old stock, even if sold at clearance prices.