Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Riddle me this, Batman....

Hi all - I am having some sporadic problems with what used to be a bullet-proof, rock solid gamer.

I just /FDISK'd about 4 days ago - but my problem of sporadic reboots and odd variance of errors has me confused.

I /FDISK'd about 5 months ago for no reason other then time to cut some clutter down. Soon after I picked up a virus. I thought it had been taken care of - Avast had alerted me to every catch and "repair" appeared to have worked. One side effect of the repair - I found a lot of my "freeware" downloads had corrupted EXE's. That eventually brought me to /FDISK'ing a couple days ago.

Another side note - About 3 months ago, near the same time that the virus was on my system - I installed a 3rd stick of used memory in my computer.

So, here I am - 4 days after a good install of Win Pro on what I still would like to think is all good hardware and everytime I go to game I am getting a crash. And yes, the majority of crash are linked to 3D. I did manage a couple runs thru 3DM2K1, but now it goes about 1/3 of the way before a random error blue screens the box.

I am somewhat new - have been building and doing some basic networking for about 4-5 years now. I am extremely mechanical and fairly technical.

I hope this info helps or can clue someone in as to what I am missing.

• Intel D865GBF
    • Pentium 4 - 3.0c w/HT
    • 3x256@pc2100 - 1x256 Kingston Value Ram Single Side, 1x256 Infinion Double Side, 1x256 Corsair Single Side
    • Gainward FX5900XT 1100
    • IBM 20g HDD @7200
    • Okia 450w PSU
    • Sony DVD-Rom and a Generic FDD

Idle - Case = 32c / 90F
    CPU = 36c / 97F

Load - Case = 32c-35c / 90f-95F
    CPU = 48c-51c / 118f-124F

The temps are fairly accurate and stable. I use MotherBoard Monitor, Intel Active, AIDA32, and the bios temps for comparison - all confirmed each others reading. I put this computer together this past Xmas after a ripping a deal fell into my lap {$200 USD for the mobo, cpu, win pro, and some rounded cables all new/warrenty}. The temps have been really the same since first build - with the exception of Idle temps on the CPU have dropped and Load temp seems to be wanting to drop {51c was the "common" load temp for a long time - I am starting to notice more and more often 49c being the max load}.

I just ran Ad-Aware and it came up clean. I also ran SpyBot Search and Destroy. The SpyBot found 5 DSO Exploits - common I assume since thats what it always finds on every computer I use the prog on.

I am currently running Sygate, Intel Active Monitor, and Soundmax in my tray.

Top 5 Processes {Ctrl+Alt+Delete > Processes}
    • firefox.exe - 19,820
    • svchost.exe{System} - 19,460
    • explorer.exe - 10,452
    • Smc.exe - 10,208
    • svchost.exe {Local Service}- 5,948

*Physical Memory*
    *Total - 785132*
    *Available - 591160*
    *System Cache - 174672*

I will start to make better note of the Blue Screen errors. But they are vague and generic, most leaning towards "...Windows has detected a problem...shutting down to prevent further situation...etc etc etc.."

Any and all help always appreciated.

And yes - those that know me know I learned AMD here - only partaking in the sinful delicacy of Intel for now....

-=M=-
    Rock the Jukebox:
    2x Intel XEON E5405
    Asus DSBV-DX
    4x Kingston 2Gb FBuffered 667mhz w/4x MemCooler
    FSP 650w PSU
    MS Server 2008 STD

M3ltD0Vvn:
    Intel Q9550 w/Coolermaster Hyper 212 - 2x 120mm
    Asus P5N-D
    2x Transcend 2Gb 800Mhz
    FSP 550w SLI Certified <~~Bullet Proof
    EVGA GTX560Ti SC (Asus 22" 1680x1050)
    MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Re: Riddle me this, Batman....

do you think the virus is still there? well..it seems so severe and i got no other thought else that reformatting and reinstalling WinXP...sorry...but i think it will definitely help you..

It has been reformatted twice now {once about 4 months back, the other about 4 days ago}. Fresh install of Windows Pro - all legit. All drivers current as well.

Avast shows no virus.
    Ad Aware detects nothing.
    SpyBot has 5 DSO exploits found after every re-boot and run of SpyBot. All repair/delete easy enuff.
    Sygate is letting nothing by.
    Stinger finds no virus.

/sigh

I am not sure if I should flash the bios for my board. Not sure there is even an update out - have not investigated.

Before it crashes in game, there is a noticable laggy feel to the game {City of Heroes and PainKiller} then it tends to either just instantly drop to blue screen right about the time you feel the lag, or hang up on a sound and repeat the sound and freeze the screen until you Reset.

-=M=-

EDIT - Oh yea, here is the real clincher I totally forgot to post; Why is my WindowsXP Pro firewall always OFF when I reboot now?? It has turned off on every reboot now for at least the 4 days...
    Last edited by mpulliam; 08-11-2004 at 01:10 PM.
    Rock the Jukebox:
    2x Intel XEON E5405
    Asus DSBV-DX
    FSP 650w PSU
    MS Server 2008 STD

M3ltD0Vvn:
    Asus P5N-D
    2x Transcend 2Gb 800Mhz

wow...sure seem to be a totally hopeless problem there...never been there before...but sometimes it could be the most smallest thing...well..good luck, mate...

Yea - I have been lucky with systems being stable my short career. But this is one of those goofy things that I cant make happen - I just have to game and let the lock up occur. Sometimes its 10 minutes into a game, other times its 6 hours into it....

I am hoping it is not PSU or Memory - they both seem to cause so many "ghost" problems...

-=M=-
    Rock the Jukebox:
    2x Intel XEON E5405
    Asus DSBV-DX
    FSP 650w PSU
    MS Server 2008 STD

M3ltD0Vvn:
    Asus P5N-D
    2x Transcend 2Gb 800Mhz

Try testing your memory with memtest86 or similar- sounds like a memory problem.
    newest comp- DFI nf2 ultra infinity- barton2500-m @10.5*230
    new comp- 8RDA+, xp2100 TbredB @202*11, 2*twinmos 3200 (non winbond), 9700 pro, Maxtor 9 plus 80gb, Hitachi CML174SWB 17" LCD
    Old comp KT7A Axia 1ghz @1.38GHZ,
    GF3 ti200, Compaq 910 19" Monitor

Have you checked your XP Event Log? Check out this .

100% AMD ROG gaming system, thanks to AMD.

I agree with Lord Vetinari, try memtest86 or prime 95 stress test. It is most likely a memory issue, I have experienced the same problems with dying modules before. It will slowly get worse and worse until you will just get constant blue screens.....
    Heatware
    EbayFeedback under snowxracer85
    PM me for more info OR
    snowxracer85@hotmail.com

must be the third to suggest memtest86. Also, try running a DIFFERENT anti-virus program. It might be the case that one of your files is infected and every time you restore your data, your OS gets corrupted.
    Just walk up to a girl and say "If you were x^2 I'd wanna be (1/3)x^3 cause I'd be the area under your curves." -salutethyshorts

Are you hearing any weird noises like grinding sounds or anything? If so your HDD could be dust. I was also thinking maybe your PSU isnt up to snuff but it seems like 450w should be okay.
    Just keep cracking away at it, youll find the problem sooner or later.
    The Captains ship: "EL pollo de Trueno" ( The Thunder Chicken)
    amd athlon xp 3000+ 400Mhz Barton
    A7N8X-E DELUXE ASUS
    2x corsair pc3200 xms pro series 512mb DDR
    1x corsair pc2700 512 mb DDR
    WD 120gb special edition HDD
    WD 80gb special edition HDD
    RADEON 9800pro 256Mb
    ASPIRE AS520W BLaCK psu
    swiftech h20 8500a water cooling set
    kingwin triple window case
    sony DRU-500a dvdrw
    logitec MX 518 optical

YEAH! 21" sony trinitron black F.D.

Holy blue screen batman.

Ok robin, first of all, windows errors are not just random computer babbel. They are your computer telling you whats wrong with it. So write the error down and post it here. Then put the error into google and see what it gives you.

Second of all, put the computer back to the way it was working, meaning take out that stick of ram you put in. its used, and was put in when the problem started, meaning it could be the cause. memtest is cool and all, but a quick easy way to figure out if its that ram is pull it out.

And the typical junk, all 53 critical updates from windowsupdate.com? DX9? up to date vid card drives and chipset drivers?

Well -

Cant run memtest - it requires a floppy, and the 1300 I found in the closet all seem to be coasters....

The errors are truly "random" from what I can tell. The one I remember was something to the effect of "kxmixer", which I googled, and there seems to be a situation with this specific command. There is a fix for it, but only Win 2000. My prob with this is that a couple hours after that kxmixer error, the system crashed and gave a completly different error - something to the effect of not enough memory allocated.

That is what makes me think it is memory - all though I am not 100% sure it is the new stick that I placed in there. I removed the most recent addition {256Mb pc2100 Corsair, single sided} and the error still persists. I actually took the time to "test" a couple combos of the ram {trying to stay at 512} and the error would still occur. If it is ram - I have not narrowed it down to what stick.

I would not be sure how to even check if its the PSU. The Okia 450W PSU is one of the budget deals from a {Trusted} local shop. But with all my research it had stronger rails the "better" brands and was about 60 bux cheaper. I have used the exact same PSU in two builds for friends and theirs have not failed. I know this does not rule anything out....but just the info I have on hand.

The HDD does not seem to be making any noises and the errors do seem to be 3D orientated, so I am hoping {and knocking on wood} that my HDD is fine. It is a 4 year old unit tho...

Soon as I find a good floppy around here I will test the mem again. AIDA32 has a memtest built into it - is this as good as the memtest86?

-=M=-
    Rock the Jukebox:
    2x Intel XEON E5405
    Asus DSBV-DX
    FSP 650w PSU
    MS Server 2008 STD

M3ltD0Vvn:
    Asus P5N-D
    2x Transcend 2Gb 800Mhz

Sounds like you are troubleshooting well...

I wouldn't rule out those errors yet. Take the time to write down on paper an entire blue screen error and post it/google it. There are TONS AND TONS of internet tech forums out there and im sure you aren't the first to see the errors you are seeing. If you are getting a few different ones, they may be linked to a similar issue.

As long as your PSU isn't stuffed full of lint and dust, i wouldn't worry about it.

Your mismatched Ram, 3 different brand sticks is asking for trouble! Put one in at a time and try it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by M3ltd0Vvn
    Well -

Cant run memtest - it requires a floppy, and the 1300 I found in the closet all seem to be coasters....

The errors are truly "random" from what I can tell. The one I remember was something to the effect of "kxmixer", which I googled, and there seems to be a situation with this specific command. There is a fix for it, but only Win 2000. My prob with this is that a couple hours after that kxmixer error, the system crashed and gave a completly different error - something to the effect of not enough memory allocated.

That is what makes me think it is memory - all though I am not 100% sure it is the new stick that I placed in there. I removed the most recent addition {256Mb pc2100 Corsair, single sided} and the error still persists. I actually took the time to "test" a couple combos of the ram {trying to stay at 512} and the error would still occur. If it is ram - I have not narrowed it down to what stick.

I would not be sure how to even check if its the PSU. The Okia 450W PSU is one of the budget deals from a {Trusted} local shop. But with all my research it had stronger rails the "better" brands and was about 60 bux cheaper. I have used the exact same PSU in two builds for friends and theirs have not failed. I know this does not rule anything out....but just the info I have on hand.

The HDD does not seem to be making any noises and the errors do seem to be 3D orientated, so I am hoping {and knocking on wood} that my HDD is fine. It is a 4 year old unit tho...

Soon as I find a good floppy around here I will test the mem again. AIDA32 has a memtest built into it - is this as good as the memtest86?

-=M=-

Budget builder - all though I am now saving for a stick of pc3200 in the 512 size, then save for the other soon after that way I can take advantage of this Dual Channal...or if I can find a good deal on some used from the forums.

Anyways, I have had NO errors today except for one -

In the middle of a 2+ hour session of City of Heroes I locked up - same fashion as usual - middle of fight, a lot of different sound, ambience, and casters and blasters nuking, as well as all the other good stuff happening, when wham, lock up. It stayed locked on a blank screen repeating a mix of terrible sounds from the game. When it finally dropped CoH and cleared the problem I was on the desk top with a "No CD in disc drive" error....

/Boggle

-=M=-
    Rock the Jukebox:
    2x Intel XEON E5405
    Asus DSBV-DX
    FSP 650w PSU
    MS Server 2008 STD

M3ltD0Vvn:
    Asus P5N-D
    2x Transcend 2Gb 800Mhz