Onboard video ram

OK, my first laptop purchase, and I hope I didn't make a mistake. I bought a Presario 2100. All the specs looked pretty good to me for a laptop that was in my price range. It has an Athlon 1.4 gig processor. Problem, maybe, is that I beleive it has some ATI onboard video ram- 64MB. Can I install a good video card in this laptop? How about upgrading the CPU in the future? I come from a desktop PC side of things, so I am a pretty much a noob when it comes to upgrading a laptop. I am into gaming, so any advice short of buying the latest and greatest would be helpful.

Re: Onboard video ram

i got not so much experience with laptop, but i really think that kind of thing is almost impossible. adding ram is acceptable...changing HDD is possible...but graphic card??...no, i think...

no, i don't think you can upgrade the graphics card.., and proberly not the CPU either, but ram, new hdd, thats ok.

The good news is: There are a few notebooks being built with upgradeable/changeable gpus. ATI and NVidia are both in the game. The bad news is: Only the highend notebooks have this ability. VooDoo has one that lists at about $3400 usd. Alienware has one. And there is even a PCCard graphics adapter, but it only has 32mb memory and is intended only to allow you to hook up some of the latest monitors to you notebook. Here's the specs on the card.

100% AMD ROG gaming system, thanks to AMD.

Quote Originally Posted by tlemaste
    The good news is: There are a few notebooks being built with upgradeable/changeable gpus. ATI and NVidia are both in the game. The bad news is: Only the highend notebooks have this ability. VooDoo has one that lists at about $3400 usd. Alienware has one. And there is even a PCCard graphics adapter, but it only has 32mb memory and is intended only to allow you to hook up some of the latest monitors to you notebook. Here's the specs on the card.
    sorry bro, looks like you got the shirt end of the stick. You cant upgrade the processor and video on your laptop. Can you give us more details about the video card that your laptop comes with? It just might be decent enough for games.
    Just walk up to a girl and say "If you were x^2 I'd wanna be (1/3)x^3 cause I'd be the area under your curves." -salutethyshorts

Yea, your graphics processor is soldered onto the board like many laptop gpu's are, with the exception of select ones from Voodoo or Alienware. Some laptops have shared memory that utilizes system RAM as graphics memory. Therefore, by increasing your system memory, you will concordantly gain not only overall system performance but 3d graphics and gaming performance as well..... As for a cpu upgrade, you should be able to, to a certain point anyhow, depending on what the board they put in it supports, you may be limited. In addition, the cost and work to put the new processor in will most likely not be worth it.
    Heatware
    EbayFeedback under snowxracer85
    PM me for more info OR
    snowxracer85@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by R|p7iD3
    Yea, your graphics processor is soldered onto the board like many laptop gpu's are, with the exception of select ones from Voodoo or Alienware. Some laptops have shared memory that utilizes system RAM as graphics memory. Therefore, by increasing your system memory, you will concordantly gain not only overall system performance but 3d graphics and gaming performance as well..... As for a cpu upgrade, you should be able to, to a certain point anyhow, depending on what the board they put in it supports, you may be limited. In addition, the cost and work to put the new processor in will most likely not be worth it.
    most cpus in laptops are soldered on, really difficult to remove.
    Just walk up to a girl and say "If you were x^2 I'd wanna be (1/3)x^3 cause I'd be the area under your curves." -salutethyshorts

Thanks for all the input. Here are some specs of my machine. Can anyone tell me what my chances are of running some quality games, or better yet what I could successfully run?
    AMD Athlon XP1600+ Thoroughbred
    1391.4 MHz
    256 RAM - upgradeable to 1gig
    FSB: 132.5 MHz
    Bus Speed: 265 MHz
    I looked all over for something stating video, but couldn't find anything except some ATI drivers, but nothing stating a card. I am quite sure that it is some sort of installed onboard 64MB. Can anyone shed some light on how I find out exactly what I have for video??
    I used the CPUBENCH 2003 and got a score of 3,683
    In 3DBENCH2, it said " The vga system has a SUPERSCAPE BENCHMARK 5660 frames per second". Seems like this was a video/graphics benchmarker program. Not much info givin with this program.
    Perhaps overclocking? FRESH DIAGNOSE program states a " Supported Multiplier 5.0x,5.5x,....,14.0x. Does this mean anything to anyone?
    Any advice? Thanks for the help.
    Hope some of this helps.

I found this review of your laptop, and it had this info about the graphics on it:

The only other static component in this series is the ATI Mobility Radeon graphics chip that borrows up to 64MB of video RAM from main memory.
    At least you know you're using 64mb of ddr memory.

And an ATI Mobility Radeon, which has the specs shown here .

100% AMD ROG gaming system, thanks to AMD.

ace: right-click on MY COMPUTER
    go to properties
    go to hardware
    click on device manager
    expand the DISPLAY ADAPTERS tab

that should tell you the video card that you have.

also, you can run this benchmark

http://www.futuremark.com/download/?3dmark2001.shtml