Is my mobo killing my RAM?

Hey there,

I need your opinions on this. I have an ABIT NF7-S ver 2.0 running an Athlon XP 2500+. Originally I had two sticks of 256meg Crucial PC2100, then one day I got the dreaded no POST when coming home and turning on my PC. After much screwing around, I found that the problem was one my sticks of ram had died. I would either get the memory failure beep code when I tried to boot, or memtest would just fail it miserably. When I took the bad stick out, I had no problems. So for awhile I ran on just 256 (I'm a poor college student), until my friend let me borrow his stick of 256 Micron PC2100 in time for Doom 3. I've been using it for over a week (ever since Doom 3 came out) and it was fine, until I upgraded to Service Pack 2, and switched out my SB Live for an SB Audigy which led to BSODs in Windows. I also started to get the same memory error beep code after a blue screen rebooted my system. After memtesting and trying my memory modules in different configurations, I found the problem to be the borrowed stick of micron, which now appears to be totally dead.

So I am back to just one stick of Crucial 256 PC2100. The first time I had this problem, I thought maybe I had set my FSB wrong and just run it too fast. Right now I have my FSB set to 166MHZ with the FSB/DRAM ratio set to 5/4, so I can run the memory at 133MHZ. Right now I am wondering if it's something to do with my board, or maybe I am just having a string of bad luck. I've been building my own computers since my freshmen year of high school, so it's not like I just don't know how to work inside a computer.

Tell me what you guys think, and if anyone has had similar experiences.

Thanks!

Re: Is my mobo killing my RAM?

first of all i dont think running too fast killed it, it's possible that you might overvolt it somehow or you fried it by touching it. Try to move the RAM to different slots and see what happen.

Was the Micron module installed in the same slot the Crucial module was installed when it died? You might be having a string of bad luck. Your maintaining the FSB of the memory at 133MHz so it is not running too fast. Check the voltages to see where it is set for the memory.
    Crucial Performance Lab

www.crucial.com
    The Memory Experts(SM) at Crucial Technology is now on board to give you straight answers to your memory-related questions.
    When responding please provide your full system specs; hardware and software, OS, BIOS, drivers Etc.You can also e-mail memory related questions to cpl@micron.com

Quote Originally Posted by CrucialLabs
    Was the Micron module installed in the same slot the Crucial module was installed when it died? You might be having a string of bad luck. Your maintaining the FSB of the memory at 133MHz so it is not running too fast. Check the voltages to see where it is set for the memory.
    I was thinking about that too, but I really can't be sure because when I originally tried to solve my problem I was moving the modules around so much I don't know how I had them originally.

I also just checked my memory voltages, and they are set at the default level of 2.6V.
    Last edited by Hazycrazy; 08-11-2004 at 08:37 PM.