Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Problem [revisit] Finding local pcper members

I've seen the occasional 'hey, I live in the next town!' posts come up now and then which prompts me to ask whether the user profile might contain a zip code (or at least the first 3 digits) entry which would be queriable in the member dbase to put members together to foster lans, local pc help, or other events. Who knows, I might just drop my '32 light year' entry, lol. Do other countries have similar zip rules or zips at all?

Re: Finding local pcper members

in the UK its called post codes, its not 5 digits its numbers and letters...example: LO20 5ER, thats just fake though...but its in that way....maybe a search feature just for the town/city, i added my home town on my location hense "Scarborough", but a search feature would be cool

*bump*, surpised TWO hasnt seen this thread yet..

ppl will never get together,maybe for the odd game or so..best way to make frends is go out and party hard..online crap is meaningless,usually..
    i,like a few others,dun really look up chicks on the net,unless one cannot help it..u never know what exactly is on the other end of the cable lol

ive seen this thread. been watching it since its posting for member feedback on it. not many replies. i could potentially create a new field in the member profile for zip codes but the individual user would have to input the zip code manually (and of course not all would do that).

at this time...we will not be implementing this. we can revisit this if/when there is more interest in it.
    hmm...

i really want this, i think it would be awesome, i have wanted it for a while...

Re: [revisit] Finding local pcper members

Here's another reason: buyer and sellers in trading post might be more inclined to do business if they're both local, especially for big ticket or heavy items (monitors, cases) where postage becomes a big issue.

Quote Originally Posted by arcturus
    Here's another reason: buyer and sellers in trading post might be more inclined to do business if they're both local, especially for big ticket or heavy items (monitors, cases) where postage becomes a big issue.
    yes, and some people prefer to pay hand in hand rather than over the internet, so if they find a local buyer/seller online, they could pay hand-in-hand if they wanted to

What about just using the city/state/country/province/etc that members can enter already? It seems to me like searching by zip code will not work well in all countries, plus for example a member who lives say an hour away from myself could have a vastly different zip code (i.e. 68502 vs 67201) that would make it a pain to search going that route. By searching for city/state/country/province you could break it down a lot easier I think.

on one hand,if it turns out to be mandatory in the future,it might take some of the privacy out of de equation

ps if that happens,this post will m ost likely be deleted

Quote Originally Posted by tdg
    What about just using the city/state/country/province/etc that members can enter already? It seems to me like searching by zip code will not work well in all countries, plus for example a member who lives say an hour away from myself could have a vastly different zip code (i.e. 68502 vs 67201) that would make it a pain to search going that route. By searching for city/state/country/province you could break it down a lot easier I think.
    i agree

A pcper frappr map?

http://www.frappr.com

Quote Originally Posted by arcturus
    A pcper frappr map?

http://www.frappr.com
    an official frappr map would be awesome. if you wanted to make it known u could add a button for it in the top or something..

Quote Originally Posted by Senor Panadero
    YAY, I'm on the map.