If you have odd crashing programs on boot and you have an Audigy2. Solution inside.

C:\Program Files\Creative\SB Drive Det\SBDrvDet.exe /r

This program loads at boot. Its part of the base install for the Creative Audigy2 ZS cards.

I had multiple A64 MB, all with the same hardware ATI 9800xt, and an Audigy2 ZS.

On boot I've had multiple programs crash or error out on boot to desktop, RivaTuner the last 2 versions. Corecenter for MSI MB's, MSI live update. All would give errors, "sorry this program must close" kind of stuff. But I could run any of them within a few seconds of getting to the desktop.

The above program appears causing a delay in the MB resourses getting to the OS. IE Corecenter cannot tell what board its loading for so it crashes. Raid services is another one that is crashing when using RAID.

Removing the above program from the reg. Or using MSCONFIG to disable that line at startup has cured all the loading issues.

I'm not exactly sure what the above program is doing. I do know its loading silently. Some reports say its for getting current driver version for online auto updates, which in testing I'm finding is not true, that files makes no difference to online updates. I installed the OS 5 times different ways to prove removing that line makes no difference.

This program "C:\Program Files\Creative\SB Drive Det\SBDrvDet.exe /r" may be detecting additional addon Creative hardware. Front panel assy, extra stuff. All I have is a PCI card so I cannot confirm what that program may look for. I do know for SURE that it makes no difference to the performance or operation of the PCI card install/operation.

If you have problems with programs loading properly on boot, disable that line in MSCONFIG startup stuff and all your problems should go away.

I've spent a good part of a day looking for that damn bitch program. Its not easy to find the solution to a problem when you don't know at first whats causing it.

If you make this change and you've had similar problems please post your results.

If you hose your box making this change. Don't blame me.
    Last edited by RacerX27; 08-16-2004 at 12:02 AM.
    Heatware Feedback 197-0-0
    This space intentionally not left blank.

Re: If you have odd crashing programs on boot and you have an Audigy2. Solution inside.

SP1 SP1a or SP2 makes no difference to this problem, and I don't think its board related because 3 boards I have do it.

RAID 0 users are affected with raidservices.exe program failing at boot. Once the change is made that no longer errors out.

Re: If you have odd crashing programs on boot and you have an Audigy2. Solution inside.

Here's the info on that file (pulled from Google):

Filename: SBDrvDet.exe
    Program Title: SBDrvDet
    Rating: 2 ( Not Required at Startup - Application Launcher, Microsoft Office Application )
    Comments: detects the creative sound card driver version currently installed in case information is necessary when updating drivers online

http://www.windowsstartup.com/wso/detail.php?id=3795

Thats not what its doing in WindowsXP Pro, it makes no difference to the auto updater for drivers at creative.

It makes no difference if its removed.

Did this help anyone? Surely I'm not the only one with programs failing on boot up to desktop...

Re: If you have odd crashing programs on boot and you have an Audigy2. Solution insid

Does anyone know for sure if this problem also occurs with Audigy 1 cards?? I've been having many issues and was told to check out your thread on the Audigy cards. But I have an Audigy 1. Worth a shot I suppose hehe.
    MSI K8N Platinum NF3 250gb
    AMD64 3200+ with Thermaltake Venus 12
    Chieftec tower with Antec TruePower 430W PSU
    1GB Mushkin PC3200
    WD 120GB SE drive
    Maxtor 40GB drive
    NEC 16x DVDRW
    LiteOn 52X CDRW
    BFG 256MB 6800GT OC
    SB Audigy
    WinXP MCE 2005 w/ SP2

The software is so close, if that program is called to run, then yes it could help on any Creative Sound Blaster product.

Try it and see.

If you type "msconfig" from the run menu on the start menu the last sheet has the startup programs just uncheck the above mentioned line and reboot. See it if helps.

Quote Originally Posted by RacerX27
    Did this help anyone? Surely I'm not the only one with programs failing on boot up to desktop...
    Yeah I saw someone in another thread who looked like they were about to RMA with similar problems.
    What we do in life echoes in eternity.

I have my new setup going right now:

A64 3400+
    MSI K8N Neo
    Zalman CNPS7000A-AlCu
    1GB OCZ 3500 EB
    2x WD Raptor 74GB
    ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    OCZ Powerstream 420

I have had no problems so far with the Radeon in Doom III or Warcraft III, as some people have had suspicions about it. I have an Audigy 2 card in another computer...if I get around to it. The computer is running so smoothly that I don't want to see BSOD's for a little bit Overclocking will probably wait too.
    What we do in life echoes in eternity.

Re: If you have odd crashing programs on boot and you have an Audigy2. Solution insid

Smoot here here on my A64 setup. None of the aforementioned problems.

Ok just checked my startup list and I do not have the file mentioned starting up. So I suppose that eliminates that problem at least.

Jeff

Yup, the Audigy drivers are bad sharers. I just disabled the errored programs from starting-up at Windows Startup and everything works fine now. Plus this also improves Windows performance a tad bit.

Jeff
    ---------------------------------------------
    My Rig:

Windows XP w. SP2
    MSI K8n Neo2 Patinum mobo
    AMD Athlon 64 FX-53 @ 2412mhz (stock)
    Asus AX800XT AGP (stock)
    512 x 4 Corsair XMS3200XL @ 1T 2-2-2-5 (stock)
    2 WD Raptor 74 Gb (Raid 0)
    2 WD Caviar 120 Gb (Raid 0)
    Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Platinum
    Pioneer DVR-108
    Liteon SOHD-167T
    Swiftech 120 Rev.2 Water Cooling Kit (only CPU)
    Ultra X-Connect 500W PSU