Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Arch Linux is a very nice distro...

Well arch packages are compiled for late architecture CPU's and you can always customize your kernel as well....

I find arch a fresh of breath air in the linux community and am hoping it gains popularity....

If only ATI would grow up and write some real drivers....
    barton 3000+, 8rda, 512 2700 samsung, evga6800GT, GTXP and delta66, 80gb wdse
    Arch Linux Homepage

I tried to give arch a go. It did not seem to have video drivers for my Thinkpad T21 and I could never get X to start. (Savage IX) In fact I am having a hell of a time finding any (recent)distro that plays nice with this laptop. Fedora core 1 and 2 freeze intermittently. Others have various problems. ....Yoper was definately the most compatible, but Yoper is not quite ready for the street yet . If anyone reads this and has this laptop, I would be appreciative of any suggestions/recommendations.
    Last edited by Harryc; 08-24-2004 at 11:29 AM.

Right now I can only give Arch a "meh" rating (the scale being "unf" -> "meh" -> "woo", going from bad to great). I've installed it on my laptop to check it out and things are working as they should. The install wasn't bad, though I think Slackware's is ahead when it comes to no-whiz-bang-no-gui installs.

The system is repsonsive enough, but I'm just not into pacman yet. While it seems intuitive, it took me a while to install Mozilla due to several factors. For one, The documentation didn't help to clarify things. I synced the package database with "pacman -Sy" and did a "pacman -S mozilla" to get Mozilla. The progress indicator went properly for the download, but I saw nothing about "package installed successfully" I twiddled around for a while trying to get it to install the mozilla package but kept on getting database errors that did little to lead me to the proper solution. As it turns out the package was installed by the pacman -S command, but the resulting message did not indicate that to me.

All of this is very excusable since its a new distro to me, but I found it a bit confusing. I didn't help though by watching TV while working on it =). Given time to flush out their documentation and given more time for me to work with it will make things well, but for now I'm not excited about it. I know what a Wiki section is used for, but once I went in to the "Documentation" section I saw nothing pointing me to wiki.archlinux.org for further documentation. A simple link to the Wiki section directly in the Documentation section seems too easy to forget.

Its not a bad distro, but I don't think its anything special. Maybe I've been doing this stuff too long =). I'd like to see something like Gentoo's USE variables that allow me to tailor things a little more.

So yeah, "meh". Not "unf"... just "meh".
    - JP Money -
    alyson (Hannigan) [XP/Gentoo]
    Athlon 64 3200+ | Shuttle SN85G4 | 1GB PC3200 | BFG 6800 OC | Dell FP1800 18" LCD
    milla (Jovovich) [Gentoo Linux]
    Sony PCG-Z1A
    liz (Phair) [FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE web/mail server]
    Athlon t-bird 1.4 Ghz | Gigabyte 7DXR | 2 GB PC2100 | Adaptec 29160 | 36 GB Seagate Cheetah 10K

Well I have a nasty bug right now w/ my Arch install. I upgraded to the 2.6.8.1-3 kernel to lose the cd/ dvd writing issue w/ the memory leak/ hemmorage & now Samba is dead. Nothing changed, other than the kernel & perhaps samba was updated (I think it was upgraded, was very sleep deprived while doing all of this). Anyhoo, I can no longer access the Windows network...gnome tells me that "smb:///" is not a valid location, the XFCE file manager loads the smb/mshome network, as I can see the computer names appear in the status bar, but then the selection list is simply blank. I.e., it appears to load fine in XFCE w/ no error reports or so on, but there's nothing there to view or select. Just SMB Network->MSHome. I've been advised that I can revert to the 2.6.7x kernel & everything will work as it's supposed to, but I'm somewhat afraid I'll lose the burning capabilities...which are more important than Windows networking (to me). I'm starting to hear a lot of grumbling about the 2.6.8x kernel(s) tho....apparently more than a few ppl are having issues.
    Linux Switch Parody

ep0x 8rda+ 2400 Mobile Barton
    @ 220X12 =2640 @ 1.95V
    2 Room W3@p0n Watercooling
    Dangerden Maze 2-2
    Powercolor 9800SE->9800Pro (435/388)
    512mb Winbond Bh5
    2 X Maxtor DP9's in RAID 0
    Lite On 52X CDRW PioneerX DVD
    Fortron 530W psu Nexus FanBus

well i'm on one of the newest kernels for arch and i'm not exhibiting any problems yet.... BUT i haven't attempted to get Samba up and running as I"m on a pretty fresh install of the .7 beat base disk. I'd find people on Arch's forums and see what their solutions are to the problem. Maybe I"ll play around with samba later tonight and see if i can get it up and running....
    Arch Linux Homepage

i have 2.6.8.1 and samba running fine together. i didn't even know there were issues with the two. check your samba logs and post an errors, maybe we can help you fix it.

k...but 1st I had another major issue...not sure how this came about. I could not boot into gnome or kde (good ol' XCFE worked however w/ my user config). I checked the logs, as root, & it said that gnome could not read the .ICEauthority file in /home/<myname>/ KDE complained that it could not read nor write to this file. So, I simply changed permissions for the file & set its group ownership as "users." It works now, but what is up w/ this hidden file??? Were does .ICEauthority come from & to what does it belong?
    I'm seriously considering redoing Arch from scratch---w/ more coffee & a clearer (read non-sleep deprived mind---have a 2 yr. old on a bad schedule... ). But I guess I could give the samba fix a go 1st---all that work from a redo seems rather depressing.

::EDIT:: I get this error message when I click on Windows Network in gnome:
    "smb:///" is not a valid location. Please check the spelling & try again. XCFE's file manager shows the names of the Windows computers being logged in the status bar, but there's nothing under MSHome once it finishes. KDE complains about LISA not being running, so I just forgot about that, as I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I'm not gonna use KDE, b/c I don't like it. But I can't browse the network w/ smb:// from konquerer either---it redirects me to lost & found. This is when logged in as root as well, so it's not a permissions thing. I'll check & see if I can find the samba log files (I'm still new @ this stuff---are they in /etc/samba???) & if I dig anything up I'll post it.
    Last edited by arDAWG; 08-25-2004 at 02:59 PM.
    Linux Switch Parody

@ 220X12 =2640 @ 1.95V
    Dangerden Maze 2-2
    512mb Winbond Bh5

k...I found the samba log files...they're in /var/log/samba. They don't tell me much...but I'll post em:
    log.nmbd

[2004/08/25 14:20:28, 0] nmbd/nmbd.c:main(664)
    Netbios nameserver version 3.0.6 started.
    Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1994-2004
    [2004/08/25 14:21:54, 0] nmbd/nmbd_become_lmb.c:become_local_master_stage2(396)

Samba name server ARDAWGPOUND is now a local master browser for workgroup MSHOME on subnet 192.168.1.100

[i]log.<windows computer#1 name>

[2004/08/25 14:24:57, 0] passdb/pdb_smbpasswd.c:startsmbfilepwent(189)
    startsmbfilepwent_internal: file /etc/samba/private/smbpasswd did not exist. File successfully created.

log.smbd

[2004/08/25 14:20:28, 0] smbd/server.c:main(760)
    smbd version 3.0.6 started.
    Copyright Andrew Tridgell and the Samba Team 1992-2004
    [2004/08/25 14:20:28, 0] printing/print_cups.c:cups_printer_fn(119)
    Unable to connect to CUPS server localhost - Connection refused

There are 3 other log files log.192.168.1.101 & log .192.168.1.103 (the NAT addresses of the Windows boxes that my Linksys assigns). & log.<windows computer name> <--this is the 192.168.1.103 computer (tho this # changes, I've found). These 3 are 0 byte files & under props it shows they are application /octet stream mime types. I thought I had it figured out for an instant. I started samba via the daemon menu in rc.conf. That didn't help tho, I guess samba is started w/ the networking stuff, anyways. What's really gh3y is that the Windows comptuers can see the linux computer (tho I have not set up any shares on the arch box yet). I doubled checked ZoneAlarm to make sure the SOHO addresses were in the trusted zone(s) & it's all set up right. The 2 Windows computers can connect & they can see the samba server. And I can ping any of the windows computers from the terminal. Just get that stupid "smb:/// is not a valid location bs.
    Linux Switch Parody

@ 220X12 =2640 @ 1.95V
    Dangerden Maze 2-2
    512mb Winbond Bh5

OK, I've no idea if ths will help, but lets just make sure it's not a zonealarm problem.

Can you temporarily turn off zonealarm completely and see if you can connect then. If you can, you need to do the following in zonealarm:

Go to Firewall/Main tab and make sure the little slider bar for Trusted Zone Security is set to Medium and not high. This allows file sharing in the trusted zone, high doesn't even though it's in the trusted zone.

This caught me out in the past, so it's worth a try.

Ned

Yeah I tried that & shutting ZA off altogether...didn't help. I have no idea what's up...I reinstalled Arch from the ground up....get everything going--xorg, gnome, udev, alsa...run the gst-register & gst-comprep so gnome's mixer & players will work....then I edit my simple smb.conf file (which worked in the past & works in FC2)...get the same error message.

"smb:///" is not a valid location. I setup smb.conf as per the Stanton Finley guide...w/ MSHome as the NT workgroup. Server=samba server. Security=user. Here's a dump w/ testparm:

# Global parameters
    [global]
    workgroup = MSHOME
    server string = Samba Server
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 50
    dns proxy = No
    hosts allow = 192.168.1., 192.168.2., 127.

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    read only = No
    browseable = No

[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    path = /usr/spool/samba
    printable = Yes
    browseable = No
    [root@arDawgPound ~]#

Any ideas??? I like Arch alot, but this is beyond me. May havta go bak to FC2 or try out my shiny new Suse 9.1 pro dvd.
    Linux Switch Parody

@ 220X12 =2640 @ 1.95V
    Dangerden Maze 2-2
    512mb Winbond Bh5

Clutching at straws here, but try changing the syntax of the hosts allow line - I'm not sure if the comma's are needed (I don't have them in mine). You might need to restart the samba service.

Code:
    hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2. 127.
    or has the output of testparm just put them in?

EDIT: yes, sorry scrub that, testparm puts the comma's in to make it more readable??

Ned
    Last edited by Ned Slider; 08-25-2004 at 10:06 PM.

"there's no place like home...there's no place like home..."

After Yoper, Navynos, Vidalinux, Arch & Suse 9.1 Pro I'm bak to FC2. 2 h311 w/ it, FC2 does what I wanna do & it's pretty snappy w/ the custom kernel. I just want something that will work & keep working & not break when I update it. I don't regret my experience w/ Arch, as I learned a lot & it is the fastest booting distro out there...tho, like Yoper, it loses some speed w/in the OS after you start installing a buncha stuff. For now it won't work on my hardware or I'm missing some setting (or both). I went bak and redid Arch from the ground up, was very careful & actually knew a lot more about what I was doing. This time not only would samba not work, but mozilla refused to start from the user account---no matter how much I tinkered w/ permissions. It worked fine w/ the 2.6.3 kernel, but as soon as I got into the 2.8.x flavors things went to h311 in a handbasket. As for Suse, that had to be the easiest install known to man...but Yast is slow...& the packages seem a bit dated (Firefox 0.8?? an _02 version of java & so on). The worst part for me is that it seemed to hold your hand way too much. Tho I would definitely recommend it for client installs---cuz it's way easy & it would impress w/ the pretty/ fancy factor.
    I'm more of a gnome / xfce4 person tho...I just can't get along w/ kde...just seems almost laughably overblown insofar as my tastes go. Kinda like the chat client wars in Windoze....soon Yahoo & MSN Messenger will be bootable os's. Kde seems to be firing an eye candy warhead @ XP (bouncing / expanding icons, sound events for every action & so on).
    Linux Switch Parody

@ 220X12 =2640 @ 1.95V
    Dangerden Maze 2-2
    512mb Winbond Bh5

@air dawg

I'm sorry you've had a bad experience with Arch...

I've experienced none of the problems you're describing and I've installed Arch on over 5 diff systems and multiple times on my desktop...

I'm not saying that you're doing anything wrong but have you taken advantage of the forum at www.archlinux.org ? These bugs are very important to the Arch dev's (who interact CONSTANTLY with its userbase) and need to be addressed...

Distro choice though is the beauty of linux... Everyone gets to pick their own flavor
    Arch Linux Homepage

Yes, there's nothing like trying out 4 or 5 different disto's - a great learning experience even if you do come back to the first one you used. Kinda like a woman buying a dress - tries on 5 and always buys the first

Quote Originally Posted by Harryc
    I tried to give arch a go. It did not seem to have video drivers for my Thinkpad T21 and I could never get X to start. (Savage IX) In fact I am having a hell of a time finding any (recent)distro that plays nice with this laptop. Fedora core 1 and 2 freeze intermittently. Others have various problems. ....Yoper was definately the most compatible, but Yoper is not quite ready for the street yet . If anyone reads this and has this laptop, I would be appreciative of any suggestions/recommendations.

What version of Yoper did you use? What trouble did you have?
    We are always moving forward and your input could help us to improve Your OS.

-Arkaine
    Yoper devel team
    Unix/Linux Admin
    College Student
    Overclockix Developer
    I fold@home with 90Ghz